Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Times when you've gone to the Albion but know you really shouldn't......

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
This evening, in West Stand Lower just before the game I overheard a conversation between a man and wife and the chap by them.

The man told the chap that he'd joked with his mate at work that he was taking his missus to see a play called Seagulls against Wolves. His workmate told him he'd never heard of that play and asked what it was about. To which he replied that it was about Brighton and Hove Albion against Wolverhampton Wanderers at the Amex. There was a slight pause after this rather poor ruse, and then the woman said 'Yeah, happy anniversary'. An awkward silence ensued.

It got me wondering, when was the most inappropriate time that you went to see the Albion play?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Burnley away 95 lost 3-0 Nogan scored against us , my cousins wedding (only saved by the marriage lasted less than a year )
There must be something about weddings. I remember a family wedding in the 80's which I rushed away from to get to a match at the Goldstone. Can't remember the match nor who we played, but I do remember getting grief from both my parents. I was in my late teens/early twenties.

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
There must be something about weddings. I remember a family wedding in the 80's which I rushed away from to get to a match at the Goldstone. Can't remember the match nor who we played, but I do remember getting grief from both my parents. I was in my late teens/early twenties.
Probably because both weddings and football took place on Saturday afternoons, so there were bound to be clashes.

Neither do so much now though!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I do recall taking Mrs Rune to the Amex for her ‘birthday present’ around a decade ago or so. The match coincided with her birthday so it seemed the obvious solution to me not having to miss a game.

It never happened again.

She didn't enjoy it because she hates football and she ended up fainting and having to sit in the medical room for 1/2 hour or so.

I think I realised I was on to a loser from the start but just wanted to make sure we didn’t have a future together at football matches.

Last edited:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I do recall taking Mrs Rune to the Amex for her ‘birthday present’ around a decade ago or so. The match coincided with her birthday so it seemed to obvious solution to me not having to miss a game.

It never happened again.

She didn't enjoy it because she hates football and she ended up fainting and having to sit in the medical room for 1/2 hour or so.

I think I realised I was on to a loser from the start but just wanted to make sure we didn’t have a future together at football matches.
Haha, 'She didn't enjoy it because she hates football'.

Maybe that was enough of a clue before you took her?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
The last two Mother's days! My other half still goes on about it! The way I look at it though, what better present for a mum than seeing your young boys so happy as their football team win at home?!

And in a previous life with my ex-wife, new years day 2011 when we beat Leyton Orient 5.0 and Murray got a hat trick. We'd had a massive row new years eve that had been building up for a while and rather than try and sort it out the following morning, I jumped on a train with a crate of beers and enjoyed the Murray and Bennett show instead. And being at the Withdean, the stewards let me leave my beers behind a kiosk so I had some more for the way home after some solo drinking in Brighton! Great day. Big headache the following day though for many reasons.

Last edited:

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
October 2000 at the Withdean, can't remember who against but it was the day after my then-girlfriend's birthday. The birthday itself had fallen a bit flat - I'd taken her out for a romantic meal in a restaurant that was dead and soulless. When we got there she said what she'd actually wanted was a night out with her friends as it wasn't often her birthday was on a Friday with that opportunity and she was disappointed I hadn't realised that's what she'd want.

We'd agreed a few weeks before we'd go to the game on the Saturday because she wanted to see things I enjoyed, but she woke up in a huff and didn't really want to go. I told her it'd be fun and we could meet all her friends after. Reader: it wasn't fun. She wanted to leave at half time. I said it could only get better so we stayed. It absolutely didn't get better. (Funnily enough, we split up soon after - my girlfriend after that we also split up after a trip to the Withdean...there's a theme.)

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
When as a group of schoolkids we booked a coach (with Plumpton coaches) to go to the City Ground to watch us in a League Cup quarter final at the then European Champions. We organised it ourselves, collected the money and had a good, well organised trip without any adult involvement. We filled the coach and all skivved off and so far as I can recall there were no repercussions!

Ironically, the Seagull Special train broke down on the way and those fans never made it.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
One more. Not me and not the Albion but in the late 90s I was at a game at Newcastle when I was visiting a friend, and the tannoy announced after just 10 minutes or so that a bloke there needed to get to the hospital (only a few minutes from the stadium) because his wife had gone into labour that morning and had been trying to get hold of him all day unsuccessfully but she knew he'd be at the game. Lots of cheers, big round of applause etc. About an hour later the tannoy announced again that the same bloke was required by his wife at the hospital immediately as she was now actually giving birth, and he'd be able to hear the cheers from there if Newcastle scored so he should get a move on :oops:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here