Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

time travel ?

Huple

Unregistered
May 28, 2008
Standish Sanatarium
I said to my son today that there could never be any such thing as time travel because if there was, someone would have visited us by now from the future. He says that we could time travel but because we haven`t got to the point where time travel has been invented yet , how can we come back ?

I need to come back with something.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Tell him to go to bed

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Tell him to not to hog the splif

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Time travel is (very theoretically) possible. Travel into the future is kind of possible, or least you can travel around not ageing whilst everyone else ages. If you were to go in a spaceship and travel at the speed of light for 20 years, you would be 20 years younger than everyone else when you came back to earth.

Travel into the past is only possible when you have built your time machine. I.e. if we built a time machine now, using wormholes for example, we could anchor one end to now and the other end to some point in the future, and could then travel between the two points in time. Any further back in time is impossible. Leaving aside the probability that you would most likely be smashed into atoms by using them, they would work.

That explains why no-one has come from the future into our world because no-one has built a time machine yet.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
I said to my son today that there could never be any such thing as time travel because if there was, someone would have visited us by now from the future. He says that we could time travel but because we haven`t got to the point where time travel has been invented yet , how can we come back ?

I have heard it explained by various scientists that time travel may only be possible from the point onwards when time travel is invented, so if time travel was invented in say 2500AD you could only if you were around in say 3000AD go back to 2500AD and not 2010AD. That would explain your problem and his. Whether time travel is possible or not only time will tell!

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
Of course you can come back from a time in the future to now, before time travel has been invented, the same as you could go back to Roman times with a machine gun and become ruler of The Roman Empire before guns were invented.
Tell him time travel is not limited to the laws which we think are unbendable, time is like a flowing river and you can row up or down it given the freedom of a boat=time travel, stopping where you please.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
If you were to go in a spaceship and travel at the speed of light for 20 years, you would be 20 years younger than everyone else when you came back to earth.

If an astronaut was traveling close to the speed of light and he traveled for one year according to his watch before returning to Earth, he would return to find that close to 1300 years had passed on Earth.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
It is possible I've seen it

future460.jpg

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Time travel is (very theoretically) possible. Travel into the future is kind of possible, or least you can travel around not ageing whilst everyone else ages. If you were to go in a spaceship and travel at the speed of light for 20 years, you would be 20 years younger than everyone else when you came back to earth.

I suggested similar on here a few months ago and got shot down. Mind-boggling though.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Use harry potter's explanation.

We don't know time travel is possible, so if I saw another me come into the room, I'd think I was going mad, it may actually drive me mad. Perhaps we have been back and visited ourselves and just not seen it. If the other me claimed to be from the future, he may get locked up, unable to return to his time.

Perhaps it is only possible in a future so distant that we don't recognise ourselves. i.e. your son may have seen a 76 year old version of himself...

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
If you look at the moon for example, you are not seeing it in 'real time' but a relfection from some time ago. Is the same not possible in some degree so that we may not be able to actually walk the earth of times past, but we could see those who did? Like looking into a reflection 1000 of years old? Seeing the battle of Hastings/Dinosaurs etc?

Like intercepting sounds that left the earth back in the 60s, lost Doctor Who episodes for example, if you outraced the signal (that theoretically is still out there travelling away from us somewhere) could you get ahead of it, and rebuild it as it passed?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

How does that work?

If you spend twenty years travelling and come back to earth, you will be twenty years older, so would everyone on earth.

Surely the only relevance "travelling at the speed of light" has in this scenario is that you would cover a lot of distance. More than you would if you spent 20 years travelling at 60mph, for instance.

But thinking about it, if I hopped in a time machine, spoke to someone in say, 1960 and said hello I'm from the future da de da, they'd say what you chatting about, this in 1960 the future hasn't happened yet.... ?

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Time travel is ,of course,possible.It's just that we can only travel slowly one way.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Isn't it to do with parallel universe theories or summat? I.e. if time travel was possible, we would be travelling back in time to parallel universes rather than this one.

I won't lie, my brain just hurts when I think about this sort of stuff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here