Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time for change in the way we play?

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom
The way we play is not working at this level with the players we have got.

Teams know how we play and just shut us down all the time or make us play the ball between our defence & Goalkeeper which dont get us nowhere.

Its easy to say.... but I love the way we play or no one else in the league plays the passing the game like us, but at the end of the day its not getting us the results & I'm getting stressed out just seeing Dunk, Greer and Casper passing the ball most of the game everygame.

If it means seeing us got more shots on target and getting more goals, Id much rather see us play normal football like everyone else not just 1 a game like atm!!!

Please, go ahead & give me abuse now :rolleyes:

Last edited:

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
I agree at least mix it up - be faster in the final 3rd, gamble a bit. We play possession football but lose it after 20 passes in midfield. Not acceptable.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Have you lot been to the games this season? Apart from on occasion this mythical "passing game" hasn't existed! I think if we DID go back to playing how we did last year (and I am not sure why we aren't), we'd be right up there.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The way we play is not working at this level with the players we have got.

Teams know how we play and just shut us down all the time or make us play the ball between our defence & Goalkeeper which dont get us nowhere.

Its easy to say.... but I love the way we play or no one else in the league plays the passing the game like us

You love the game we play of passing around the defence with the opposition attack waiting to pick us off and the opposition defence having a breather?

Yes, no one in the league plays the passing game like us!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Have you lot been to the games this season? Apart from on occasion this mythical "passing game" hasn't existed! I think if we DID go back to playing how we did last year (and I am not sure why we aren't), we'd be right up there.

I think people are getting confused between the games in the golden spell well before Christmas last season when we successfully passed the ball around all over the pitch and the rest of the time when it was merely the Ankergren-Greer-El Abd triangle trying to play a possession game.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
The main problems that we appear to have at the minute is an inability to keep out shots from range that are on target, and defending crosses to the far post... sort those two issues and then we can start worrying about scoring again...

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
You can play whatever style you want, if you have a midfield made up from Navarro, Sparrow, and Harley, you will not beat ANYONE in this league. That's the problem, so many injuries and suspensions mean we have to play players who aren't good enough.

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel

Spot on... we are not playing a passing game like we did up to the Leeds match

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Listening to Warren Aspinall on the radio it's clear that he doesn't know what he's talking about.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I think people are getting confused between the games in the golden spell well before Christmas last season when we successfully passed the ball around all over the pitch and the rest of the time when it was merely the Ankergren-Greer-El Abd triangle trying to play a possession game.

I see where you're going with that, but I think you are being a bit harsh on last season. It did get scrappy at times but we still played attractive, attacking football throughout the season, based on a possession game - even if it wasn't quite Peterborough/Charlton every week. We just aren't doing it this year (apart from Cardiff, Liverpool, Leeds & sort of West Ham/Reading). We are hitting long balls, failing to spread the ball on the ground, and giving the opposition 60%+ possession. I don't think it's an overall quality issue as such as we ran rings around Pompey and Watford last year - it's a mixture of some important injuries (hopefully people will realise how important Dicker is now) and for some reason we just aren't trying to play the same game.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Please, go ahead & give me abuse now :rolleyes:

Certainly. You're a twat. :)

Once we have our best players fit, and playing together consistently for several weeks, things will improve greatly. If they don't, then I might start agreeing with you, and I will withdraw my abuse. Keep the faith!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I see where you're going with that, but I think you are being a bit harsh on last season. It did get scrappy at times but we still played attractive, attacking football throughout the season, based on a possession game - even if it wasn't quite Peterborough/Charlton every week. We just aren't doing it this year (apart from Cardiff, Liverpool, Leeds & sort of West Ham/Reading). We are hitting long balls, failing to spread the ball on the ground, and giving the opposition 60%+ possession. I don't think it's an overall quality issue as such as we ran rings around Pompey and Watford last year - it's a mixture of some important injuries (hopefully people will realise how important Dicker is now) and for some reason we just aren't trying to play the same game.

Well done. Much more nuanced than my post on the matter.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
All this shit about our fantastic passing game. We are not Barca and we don't play a beautiful style. CMS & Noone rely on their ability to harass players and run on to crosses and passes, we don't have any quality players that can pass the ball through a decent Championship side - it might have worked in Div 1 but we have been seriously found out now.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
All this shit about our fantastic passing game. We are not Barca and we don't play a beautiful style. CMS & Noone rely on their ability to harass players and run on to crosses and passes, we don't have any quality players that can pass the ball through a decent Championship side - it might have worked in Div 1 but we have been seriously found out now.

As I have said many times, we do have a player that at least attempts to do that in Gary Dicker. It is no coincidence that the poor form basically coincides with his injury.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

Generally the current crop of players from last season are not good enough to play the way we played last season against the much better players in the Championship. I recall Gus saying in the summer he wanted to give the players who got us promoted the chance to prove themselves at this level. With some exceptions (Noone, Dunk, Greer and Bridcutt) they haven't and need to go in January or at the end of the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here