Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ticket Exchange Non Use Penalty - £10 Per Printed Ticket "Policy Change" Now In Place

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
I do not know of any other business that will let people transfer tickets to other people.I also think that it is small minded of people to let their seat go empty because they will not let the club make a profit on their ticket. STH have been lucky to have been able to sell on their tickets through NSC.
IMO a ST is for someone who wants to follow their club and attend all matches, yes there will be times when circumstances mean that is not possible and I am happy to pass on my ST or someone else to use( someone I would trust with my smart card).
We used to be a club with no ground, then we played our football at the Weathdean. We now have a great Stadium and will have a fantastic training ground. A lot of money has been spent getting the club to where it is today and I for one do not think it unreasonable for a club to have their own TX and make it harder for people who want to regularly get tickets reprinted.
I would suggest that those who have ST and can not attend all matches, use this forum to build a network of people that they would trust having their smart card or just buy tickets on a match to match basis.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I need to transfer my lads under 10 ticket tonight to an adult ticket as my lad can't make it, any idea what the cost will be for this ?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Give/get your plastic to others, if they don't return it to you then never lend it to them again & cancel & get a replacement...if this works beyond 2 games you'll be in profit compared to new rules & if never goes wrong you 'll be better off even than last season (until replacement plastic increased to £50 or £100 that is !)

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Yes, because the club chooses to wait until all tickets have been sold (understandable) but frankly I just don't see it as reasonable all things considered. If the club, on the basis that it now (because there are no other tickets left to sell) wants to sell 'yours' then for exactly the same reasons, bums on seats and the further revenue to be gained, they could have done better as regards those who have 'COMMITTED' themselves to the club by way of purchasing a season ticket. That, of course, is only my point of view but perhaps also that of BOZZA.

I guess it comes down to your interpretation of what you are buying when you purchase your season ticket. If you consider that you are buying the right to do with that seat what you will (ie use it yourself or pass it on to someone else) then I can understand that you think the club's position is unreasonable. But a season ticket does not convey those rights (as I understand it, that is what the private seat license does, at a much greater cost). A ST is non-transferable; only YOU have the right to use that seat, that season. Now, if you can't go and you give your smartcard to a friend or family member, the club would most likely never know (unless it was an adult using a child's ticket) and I'm sure the club accepts this will happen and would be okay with it even if it did know.

However, for the club to make it easy (and cheap) for a ST holder to get a paper ticket printed, when the reason almost certainly is to enable A.N.Other to use that ticket, would be commercial stupidity. It would undermine both the value of the PSL and the potential revenue generation of the ticket exchange. In fact, I think the club could make a very valid argument that they would no longer sanction the printing of paper tickets for a ST seat.

The club has already sold a ST once (to the ST holder). It is not the club's fault or responsibility that the ST holder cannot attend a particular match. However, as it is in everyone's interests to have as many seats occupied as possible, there is a strong case for an official ticket exchange, a fact that the club has recognised. Of course you could argue about the ratio of the split of the "second sale" of the seat between the ST holder and the club, but I don't think the existing terms could be considered a rip-off. Getting back 75% of your original outlay for that match seems fair enough; after all, the club is committing to provide an official, simple, quick, trustworthy and risk-free mechanism for you to sell your ticket when you can't use it. And you would only consider using it in the first place if you couldn't find a trustworthy friend or family member to give your smartcard to.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Ticket Exchange Non Use Penalty - £10 Per Printed Ticket "Policy Change" Now In Place

I need to transfer my lads under 10 ticket tonight to an adult ticket as my lad can't make it, any idea what the cost will be for this ?

Costs £24 to upgrade my sons u10 ticket in block c wsu :)

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I'm not sure the club are doing much wrong in charging the £10 but I think doing it without proper communication and transparency is worrying. It's not about a 200% cost increase, they are running a commercial enterprise and as others have said the £10 takes the cost of the ticket to around what it would have been for a match day purchased seat so I can see the logic there. But just jamming it in without explaining their logic worries me and I wonder what might be next? If (and it really is an "if") the new regime are intent on generating revenue regardless of impact then all sorts of things might be in the pipeline. The travel subsidy would be an obvious one but there could be others. Hopefully this will be a one off, suspect it might not be

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Barber again , he has his brief and you have to say he is probably hitting his targets. It's just a job to him though , the danger in large increases is prices will rarely if ever go down so you are really heading into dangerous ground. At the moment we are still on a crest of a wave but this won't last for ever and ever. If Barber is here when we get promotion we are going to be hammered everywhere.

As Bozza said most things around the club are not outrageously priced but the writing is on the wall , things like this £10 and more shockingly £34 (!!!!!)for away fans is setting a precedent

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

The main problem with the ticket exchange is that it will only operate once games are sold out which with the increased capacity is going to be less often in the future, and you are probably not going to know until a few days before the game.

In my case most games I cannot attend are evening ones which are less likely to sell out. I will therefore have to trust people with my ST cards which could be pain after a midweek game if we have a game the following Saturday.

If it proves too much of a hassle I will just let my seats go empty.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
My take on this is that when we moved to Falmer thoe of us wanting to guarantee ourselves a seat there were told to get a season ticket and also actively encouraged to buy more season tickets for friends and relatives, this I did. From comments made in the portacabin presentation I went to it was said in a round about way that the cluib in practical reality appreciated fans may not be able to make all games and the club would turn a blind eye to the "sharing" of season tickets - as this was a trade off to ensure another extra 12,000 plus season tickets were sold. Supplyn and demand favoured supporters at this point, as club was a bit unsure of the demand levels.

However role the clock forward the club have now done a few sums and are horrified by the lack of potential income they have missed out on through not having a ticket exchange in place over the last twelve months - having launched it a bit late - they thus need to facilitate a bit of "behaviour change" among the fan base.

Somebody somewehere has decided that bringing in penal charges WITHOUT communicating them in advance is best way of doing this ( would not be at all suprised if some wise old head behind the scenes has commented to said individual in private "be interested to see if you get away with that one / not sure I would have been brave enough to do that" ). It is after all just a "policy change" and thus has not been announced was more or less what I was told.

The logic is now that if above does cause any upset and even if worst case a few season ticket holders did not renew - the laws of supply and demand say that there are plenty more in the queue to replace them - so no problem really. Club is now confident that supply and demand laws are now massively in their favour, so "blind eyes" will no longer be turned. All planning permisssions are now virtually "in the bag" so why would we worry about losing a few supporters now, don't need their help any more.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean

I paid £16 to upgrade my 12 year old lad's ticket in WSU to an adult ticket for tonight's game.

Your lad will have u18 ticket, u10 st is 25% cost of adult, u18 is 50% :)

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I can't make midweekers because of work commitments and not having time to get down to Brighton from London. Last season my ticket was used for EVERY midweek home game by mates. They'd just quote my ST and get the paper version for 3 quid. One of my mates used my ticket for the opening game v Cardiff this season and he never mentioned a £10 levy? Has this been enforced since then? If I can't let my mates have my ticket because they are charging an extra £10 on top of what I pay then I'm afraid my seat is going to be empty this season on midweeks. I see NO justification for this hike in price and it does stink of profiting from fans, let alone no official notice of this change in policy.

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
I can't make midweekers because of work commitments and not having time to get down to Brighton from London. Last season my ticket was used for EVERY midweek home game by mates. They'd just quote my ST and get the paper version for 3 quid. One of my mates used my ticket for the opening game v Cardiff this season and he never mentioned a £10 levy? Has this been enforced since then? If I can't let my mates have my ticket because they are charging an extra £10 on top of what I pay then I'm afraid my seat is going to be empty this season on midweeks. I see NO justification for this hike in price and it does stink of profiting from fans, let alone no official notice of this change in policy.

If they are mates why not just give them the card?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
A 233% increase is totally pathetic and unjustified. If i cant make a match, it will now be going empty as there is absolutely no chance of the ticket exchange being used for every league game.

Also, say if we get a big team in the Cup and you want to have a paper ticket as a "souvenir" - the club will charge you £10 for this - totally wrong. Maybe if they just actually started to enforce the £3 fee which was originally in place, then there would be no need for the steep increase.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
As Bozza kindly gave me his tickets for the Cardiff match, I would thoroughly recommend his front row seats in the WSU to anyone. (and it was only £3 for a paper ticket too!).

But then you didnt have me next to you gobbinng off at Ryan Harley BOTTLING challenges.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here