Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thumbs up to the North Stand

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Saturday was absolutely brilliant. So glad I picked the North Stand.

Everyone was singing. Not heard noise like that since the Goldstone days. It makes such a difference to the match and the players

Will Buckley said the crowd was amazing on Seagulls Player. I think everyone has been blown away by this. Long may it continue.

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
Agree with you 100%. atmosphere was immense in the north

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
We went quiet in the 2nd half when Donny had a long spell of possession so need to get behind the team more so during times like that.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It came across very well to us in the East. And they held up well in the banter with the West, which whilst noisier, does have FIVE times as many people in it. Oh and quite impressed with the ultras actually - not my cup of tea but they do bring something new to the new venue. Like.

I'm just loving the fact that the whole ground has atmosphere at the moment. Even the East side is noisier than most of the Goldstone ever was.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Hopefully the rivalry will change from "we were louder than you" rubbish to a more competative one which will keep the atmosphere going for more of the game.

Sitting in the North you cannot tell how loud the West stand is due to the noise in the North stand when everybody is singing, its only really people in the East that can really comment.

It does seem that when the North stand is quiet so is the West who seem to join in more when the North starts rather than starting themselves. This may partly be because the West stands noise goes outwards rather than sideways. However, when the "We're the West stand" kicks in that does sound brilliant when all the stand is singing it.

All in all the acoustic designer really knew their stuff and the clips I have seen on TV and the 5live radio commentary clip the crowd do sound loud.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I was a little disappointed with the North for 2 reasons:

1. In the first half they got fixated with the Stand Up You Hate Palace song, and sung it 4 times in about 10 minutes - I though it may have been worth trying a little more variety.
2. In the 2nd half they went very quiet - it seemed the West was making more effort to get things going at that time.

I did like the new chant when it got going though ... I don't care who else might sing it.

The West in full voice will always be louder, as there are so many of us in it, but I see the north as the place whcih drives the singing, and hopefully tries new chants from time to time.

Of course, being sat in the West makes it very difficult to determine just how loud the West sounds, but my ringing ears and croaky voice seem to suggest it wasn't bad.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The North Stand will almost always start the songs and others join in. Which is why it's best to start ones lauding the team and without loads of swear words. They'll get picked up all around the ground. The great thing about the atmosphere at the weekend was it was almost all about the Albion and not abuse aimed at the away end. Swear words at footy don't offend me - but it does make a difference to the amount of people that join in.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Sitting in the North you cannot tell how loud the West stand is due to the noise in the North stand when everybody is singing, its only really people in the East that can really comment.

It does seem that when the North stand is quiet so is the West who seem to join in more when the North starts rather than starting themselves. This may partly be because the West stands noise goes outwards rather than sideways. However, when the "We're the West stand" kicks in that does sound brilliant when all the stand is singing it.
From the East, the North is very impressive. It's nowhere near as loud as the west but the singing was very very consistent. Tend to agree with your post though.

I was a little disappointed with the North for 2 reasons:

1. In the first half they got fixated with the Stand Up You Hate Palace song, and sung it 4 times in about 10 minutes - I though it may have been worth trying a little more variety.
2. In the 2nd half they went very quiet - it seemed the West was making more effort to get things going at that time.

I did like the new chant when it got going though ... I don't care who else might sing it.

The West in full voice will always be louder, as there are so many of us in it, but I see the north as the place whcih drives the singing, and hopefully tries new chants from time to time.

Of course, being sat in the West makes it very difficult to determine just how loud the West sounds, but my ringing ears and croaky voice seem to suggest it wasn't bad.
You're right about the hate Palace song. Tiresome. Once a game is enough, IMO. However, I think you're being harsh on the North. The noise dropped off once, for about ten minutes. That was it.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Saturday was absolutely brilliant. So glad I picked the North Stand.

Everyone was singing. Not heard noise like that since the Goldstone days. It makes such a difference to the match and the players

Will Buckley said the crowd was amazing on Seagulls Player. I think everyone has been blown away by this. Long may it continue.

Agree totally - see thread below!

Big up to the North Stand ultras

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
I had hairs standing up all over my body Saturday watching the flags and hearing the singing from the North where I am sat, and now seeing all theses videos on here and FB makes them stand up again!! a truley magnificent day.

tom26

May 14, 2004
Lewes Road, Brighton
when the "We're the West stand" kicks in that does sound brilliant when all the stand is singing it

This, this, this. That was the 'neck hairs' moment for me, I'm in the North Stand and would have been quite happy doing "We're the North/we're the West stand" back and forth for the entire match, just to hear that huge stand roar. More please, West Stand.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
North Stand were very poor in the 2nd half, we are WSU, block H (i think) and alot of attempts to start singing but didnt hear anything out of North stand. Poor

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Seen this in a number of places, just thought Id clarify: The stand up if you hate palace song was started most occasions near me, near the back and middle of the north. There had been a few complaints of people standing, stewards tried to get involved for 5/10 minutes to get people to sit down, so a couple of lads started that song to get people on their feet again.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
Oddly, I thought the North was fairly quiet from my WSL seat, expected more, but I am near the away end.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
I am in the South West corner, and both the North and West sounded awesome. I was a bit bothered that the West lower would be quiet, but forget that that. They were all joining in as far as I could see. The Donny fans were singing you've only got one song, at one point. But outside the ground I heard a couple of Donny fans saying that they wish that the keepmoat could be that bloody loud. I even heard the East singing. So I think we can all give ourselves a pat on the back and the only thing I can say is, let's try to keep this up all season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here