Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Three Kerry Mayo's

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
OK, I have a read a bit on here today about last nights friendly and it is a good run out for the players, the result is not important and so on. But the one thing that I noticed was the state of Kerry Mayo. Normally I do not have a problem with the guy, he is a limited player, but is a grafter and as was shown last time we were in this league, he can punch above his weight. But one of the problems is his weight. Where as most of the players looked in good shape, he did not. There was one incident in the first half where Jones played him in and Mayo came running for the ball to attempt to put a cross in, he was huffing like me running for a bus and this was in the first half. His pace was non existent and he ran into the hoarding, which probably needs replacing now.

Anyway I know he has 3 weeks to get himself fit, but it seems a bit stupid on his part to come back like this, when he has lost his place and so should be giving that bit extra to dislodge Harding from the team. Also his contract is up at the end of the season and if this is his attitude, it will not be renewed.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Uncle Buck said:
Also his contract is up at the end of the season and if this is his attitude, it will not be renewed.

With DK as chairman of course it'll be renewed. I have it on good authority that a new and improved 10 year deal is being worked out including the promise of a testamonial and free cake.
:jester:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Didn't MA ship someone out for coming back way overweight, a totally crap forward whose name escapes me.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Uncle Buck said:
I think Steele was put on the list for this and then got himself sorted and scored about 10 goals in the Div 2 Championship season, so we then let him go...

No not Steele, he was not useless just stupid.

Found it, Scott Ramsey was the player I was thinking of

Last edited:

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
Mayo has struggled with his weight in the past and probably takes a bit longer to get fit than most. I'm sure he will be okay come the season start. Lets face it, he's not likely to be involved in the first team unless injuries happen.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Kerry Mayo will have no competition at left back.

just_bhafc

Oct 14, 2003
Shoreham Beach
I thought MA fined/banned KM a few seasons ago for coming back over weight?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
dont unstand the problem people have with kerry mayo?

he is a good solid player who can play in 3 or 4 postions if need be ands as someone has allready said he had his best season when we were in div one

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
kinkygerbil said:

he is a good solid player who can play in 3 or 4 postions if need be ands as someone has allready said he had his best season when we were in div one

As I said I do not have a problem with him, what I do find surprising is he has gone from regular to squad player and then turns up out of shape. Not a good way to fight for your place, especially when in June he could be joining the hordes of players looking for new clubs.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
i dont think that it will the case of looking for a new club, we will be looking at league one again, with kerry our first choice lb and everyone looking back and rueing the fact we didnt sign anyoine in preseason

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
kinkygerbil said:

when kerry is shite he is shite! he had spells in that div 1 season where he was ok but at the start of the season he was shite wimbledon away where a very young jobi mcanuff murdered him sticks in the mind.but kerry is 1 never to write of cos it's happened time and time again and he always bounces(probably wrong word) back.i myself would put harding back at left back cos i think he is a fantastic youngster far better than kerry

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
I think Kerry is a good solid player. He just struggles with his fitness early on.

He looked lean and mean once he got going last season.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
GUNTER said:
I think Kerry is a good solid player. He just struggles with his fitness early on.

No he didn't he was terrible, lost his place and couldn't get it back!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Instead of trying Dan Harding on left of Midfield why not try KM there again as that is where he started when we were at Gillingham. I think it was Brian Horton who moved him back but I may be wrong!! He may make a defensive midfielder.

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
BensGrandad said:
Instead of trying Dan Harding on left of Midfield why not try KM there again as that is where he started when we were at Gillingham. I think it was Brian Horton who moved him back but I may be wrong!! He may make a defensive midfielder.

he was our joint top goalscorer

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
GUNTER said:

he was shite for a majority of last season! i struggle to remember him having a good game

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here