Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thoughts on Worthing game

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Some thoughts on the Albion players, in no particular order.

Hawkins. Impressed me as a good old-fashioned centre half ... and a great goal!

Chamberlain. Could make the first team squad. He and ElAbd looked good together in central midfield in the 2nd half.

Elphick. Best CB on display.

Whing. Good game.

McLeod. Impressive. Great crosser of the ball. Well taken goal. I like him.

Cox. Overall a pretty poor game. On this showing he won't make the starting line-up.

Dixon. Couple of decent touches, but overall poor. Don't know why anyone thought he was League 1 standard.

Forster. OK. Not at his best.

Fraser. Not a bad game. Central midfield is def his best position.

Gatting. Poor. But we already knew that.

Haswell. Better at LB in the first half than in left midfield (where he looked lost) in the second. Not bad, but nowhere near Richards standard. What are we waiting for with Matt?

Kuipers. Looked confident. Handled the ball well, but nothing much to do.

Sullivan. Even less to do than Michel, but what he did he did well.

Lynch. OK. Not outstanding.

Murray. Good goal. Not at his best, but the best forward on display (followed by Worthing's No 9 in the first half ... impressive).

Robinson. Some nice touches, but not enough to demand a starting role.

Thomson. Quietly efficient.

Virgo. OK. Expected more.

Oh, and Loft .... anonymous as usual ...

Based on today (only one game and against non-league opposition) I'd be tempted to start Elphick and Hawkins at CB at Crewe.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Thanks for the write up

Mayo?

Thought I'd miss someone ...

Mayo. Not bad. Some missplaced passes as per usual, but pretty solid. Not good enough for first choice LB, but as a squad member??? Difficult to compare him with Haswell. Neither stood out.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'd agree with all of that except Murray, I thought he looked pretty sharp for this early in pre season won nearly all his headers ( not all went to an Albion player I accept) and the one of the bar was unlucky. The goal was very well taken. I'm used to seeing Brighton forwards panic and whack the ball wide or high. I am looking forward to seeing him play more than any other Albion player, he is gonna be awesome for us this season.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
To claim Loft was anonymous is harsh, I saw him below the main stand in black tracksuit looking quite content? ???

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
again for me Chamberlain did well tracking back and getting forward, setting up a goal and scoring a deflected effort

Murrays goal was a touch of pure class which we need in this league to get out of it

Good to see McLeod turn out, scored a goal, went off injured again with a hammy. Lots of running down the left for him and had the measure of Roy Pook at ight back, putting in some decent crossses

Last edited:

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
again for me Chamberlain did well tracking back and getting forward, setting up a goal and scoring a deflected effort

No way that Chamberlain can claim that goal (not that it's important) ... it was going way wide before the deflection.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Thought I'd miss someone ...

Mayo. Not bad. Some missplaced passes as per usual, but pretty solid. Not good enough for first choice LB, but as a squad member??? Difficult to compare him with Haswell. Neither stood out.

And I also missed ElAbd!!

OK at RB in the first half, but not his best position. Looked very good, very involved in central midfield in the second. He will be in contention for one of those two central midfield places.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Considering Loft wasn't playing, I think saying he was anonymous is harsh!

The easiest way to protect your anonymity is by being somewhere else...in that respect he must be regarded as a success!!!

brightonmad999

Jan 31, 2008
shoreham
i was inpressed wiv McLeod he did well and its good to see that to see he can use both feet so we could play him either side of midfield and i was also inpressed wiv haswell and he did well and had not that much to do and look good on the ball and i was impressed wiv Hawkins took his goal well and good header

greengoeskiwi

May 7, 2008
I disagree with some things, do i knowbut hey....what

Didnt really think chamerlain had the presence, though he did have some good moments...i.e his cross for hawkins goal.
Though haswell was good though difficult to tell up against worthing, not quite leeds are they??
I also thought Whingy had a great match looked awesome again and him and jakey (when he was on the right with whingy) looked good together.
Macleod looks pretty promising for the new season.
Murray looks stronger this year though maybe thats just me.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'd never seen Chamberlain.
I therefore spent the entire second half hoping he was NOT Livermore.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Dixon won't be making the grade in a hurry :wave:

Gatting I actually felt sorry for. Utterly WRETCHED display.

The presence of Kerry Mayo on the pitch was ominous. Must mean he's conned the club into giving him another contract of some sort.

McLeod looked like a useful attacking addition to the squad, and Hawkins seems a bit of a so solid GEEZER

Scott Chamberlain's come on in leaps and bounds. Did well.

Just about everybody else performed much as you would imagine they'd perform

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Didn't Livermore play?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here