Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Those ineligible for Player of the Season

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
As I understand it you need to make 15 appearances to be eligible for player of the season.

This means Gary Hart and Llyod Owusu are ineligible.

These two guys have come in and have pretty much saved us. When I've watched them they have put in so much effot, running themselves ionto the ground.

They have probably made more contribution to our relegation fight than most of the squad.

Is there any money in the NSC kitty to get them a little something? A little trophy or simply a giant 'Thank You' card?

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I think its a shit rule

The team have been shit for 8 months of the 10 month season, and we have to vote for someone that is involved in that.

Hart, Loft, Fraser, and especially Owusu have come in and changed our season, and helped recover it from complete disaster

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
İbrahim Tatlıses;2906672 said:
Has anyone got a list of players that ARE eligible?

I'd vote for Gary, but it looks like it'll be going to Whing by default. Not that it's undeserved or anything, but Gary really has saved our season.

Players you can vote for at the moment are
Andrew Whing
Dean Cox
Tommy Elphick
Adam Virgo
Adam El Abd
Nicky Forster
Matt Richards
Michel Kuipers
Tommy Fraser
Glenn Murray
Kevin McLeod
Colin Hawkins
David Livermore
Steve Thomson
John Sullivan
Adam Hinshlewood
Joe Anyinsah
Kevin Thornton

Players you can't vote for at the moment are

Craig Davies
Stuart Fleetwood
Jason Jarrett
Doug Loft
Seb Carole
Jake Robinson
Bradley Johnson
Chris Birchall
Lloyd Owusu
Gary Borrowdale
Gary Hart
Robbie Savage
Al Bangura
Calvin Andrew
Matt Heath
Gary Dicker
Jim McNulty
Mikkel Andersen
Steve Cook
Joel Lynch
Kerry Mayo
Jonny Dixon

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I totally see why they've made this rule for this season and it makes sense, given how many people have come and gone etc. But that's not to say why they couldn't make another award for something like "outstanding contribution" or something.

Albion player of the season is a massive deal no question, but it's not like the Nobel Peace Prize, the methodology for it doesn't have to be carved in granite.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I'm not looking past Andy Whing so not bothered about the other options. However, I agree it would be good for NSC to create an "Honourable Mentions" list with some sort of recognition perhaps for those player not eligible but who have contributed to the season? Mind you - if we don't stay up there will be less of a clamour I would expect.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
How many will Hart and Owusu have played if they both appear in the next 2 games?

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
As I understand it you need to make 15 appearances to be eligible for player of the season.
These two guys have come in and have pretty much saved us.

Not yet they haven't. Two game to go still so don't go counting those chickens just yet.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
The system is absolutely fair and personally, if I was Gary I'd be embarrssed if I won player of the year. It's much easier to play when everybody is up for the fight but Whingy kept going when everyone was falling down arıound him and throughly deserves the award.

Yes..... all the guys who have come in deserve the plaudits for some great performances (but its not over yet!) and OGH certainly deserves a new contract, as does Lofty and Owusu is certainly worth signing. But that's it. Let's not insult Whingy who has played well through thick and thin.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I totally see why they've made this rule for this season .

Have to disagree, if a player can make the difference between relegation and staying up the fans should be allowed to vote for him, should they choose. It is, after all a fans vote isn't it?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well, if there was a big enough complaint, they could always drop it down to 10. Which will still prevent a 'fans protest' (by all voting for a player thats made one appearance), which lets face it, is why the 15 appearance rule was made.

Wouldn't have been worth voting if things had continued as they were before Slade's inclusion of fringe players and Owusu.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Not yet they haven't. Two game to go still so don't go counting those chickens just yet.

w e a r e n o t s a f e y e t

True, I over stated and got carried away. But whether we stay up or go down, and we are now in a very good position to stay up, we are where we are now thanks in large part to those two. We are not safe yet, but thanks to their contribution, we are not relegated yet, either, and given our position 2 weeks ago, that is a major contribution even if we don't stay up.

And I think they deserve some recognition for that. More if we stay up.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

These two guys have come in and have pretty much saved us. When I've watched them they have put in so much effot, running themselves ionto the ground.

They have probably made more contribution to our relegation fight than most of the squad.

Is there any money in the NSC kitty to get them a little something? A little trophy or simply a giant 'Thank You' card?

Most players are ineligible because the they were f**king rubbish.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Have to disagree, if a player can make the difference between relegation and staying up the fans should be allowed to vote for him, should they choose. It is, after all a fans vote isn't it?

It is. So, given that it's awarded at the end of the season, it's more likely to be skewed towards those who did well then and that's going to be especially the case in a season like this one, where we've been crap except for the very last bit. But I'd suggest that a player who's been busting a gut even during the 9/10ths of the year when everyone else has been awful deserves the player of the season (note, season) award more, IMHO.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
given that it's awarded at the end of the season, it's more likely to be skewed towards those who did well then

True, but Hart has only been given a chance in the last couple of weeks, and his contribution cannot be ignored, or dismissed because he didn't do anything for the other 9 months, and similar for Llyod (though he has had more games, after setling inhe has done a lot to earn some recognition).

With this thread I don't mean to suggest they should win player of the season, but despite their limited chance to shine with us, they have contributed more than a lot of players who have been with us all season, surely that deserves some recognition?

Cox has played tremendously well the last couple of weeks, but I didn't include him in my list because he has played most of the season whether starting or as a sub, and hasn't had the impact he's had recently earlier in the season

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here