Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This World Cup is Shite,,,

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
In future to avoid all the crap draws and negitive play. They should seed 8 teams straight into the 2nd round. Then have 8 groups of three, with the winners of each group going through to 2nd round.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Yes. Its grim. I shall call it 'The Functional World Cup'...

Full of functional teams, playing functional football and suffocating the life out of excitement.

Who's been the best team so far? The most functional team ever: Germany.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I'm not that bothered as it will make the second two matches for each country almost must win games rather than, in a lot a cases, match three being meaningless like usual World Cups

Stu1

Sep 21, 2004
Leeds
Agreed I think The commentry is gash check out this classic'brazil did score goals from set peices in qualifying' no shit does the toss pot really think people will say ' shit what an amazing fact'

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
I think it's "Shite" because apart from Brazil v North Korea they have all be even matches. I has been the game that will decide who will finish 1st/2nd (USA v England) or who will get 2nd/3rd (Portugal v Ivory Coast) In other words, games the teams can't affoard to lose.

Give it to the second set of games. :)

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
In future to avoid all the crap draws and negitive play. They should seed 8 teams straight into the 2nd round. Then have 8 groups of three, with the winners of each group going through to 2nd round.

No way!!!

Firstly, the seeded teams have a huge advantage as they will play less games and be fresher so one of those teams is most likely to win it based on that reason alone

Secondly, seeding is anti competitive and ruins the competition imo - it can keep a seeded team in a higher position artificially and make it more difficult for other teams to break through

It ruins tennis imo, why not have an open draw, if two top players draw each other in the first round then that should add to the event, and mean that to win it, you have to deserve it rather than being given every advantage by the organisers.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
It is the f***ing horns that those f***ing ***** keep f***ing blowing. It is affecting the f***ing play. f***!

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
I blame the vuvuzela's. Team work will be a lot harder to achieve when theres a constant buzzing in your ear, commands are messed up, teams are distracted and it ruins the atmosphere

ban them from all future matches and this world cup will get more interesting...

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
I think it's "Shite" because apart from Brazil v North Korea they have all be even matches. I has been the game that will decide who will finish 1st/2nd (USA v England) or who will get 2nd/3rd (Portugal v Ivory Coast) In other words, games the teams can't affoard to lose.

Give it to the second set of games. :)

ITV have a vacancy for a pundit. Give 'em a call :thumbsup:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

It is what it is :shrug:

There will be pure magic moments, maybe even tonight. North Korea giving Brazil the fright of their lives.

If nothing else, you'll never forget the vuvuzela :lol:

HG201

Proud Ruffian
Jul 16, 2008
Birmingham
Agreed, this has been a terrible tournament! Only the germans have stood out for me, with the majority of games being very dull in half empty stadiums with no noise, to me this is not what the world cup is about!

Oh yeah, and the Vuvuzellas have just got riduculous! :facepalm:

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
No way!!!

Firstly, the seeded teams have a huge advantage as they will play less games and be fresher so one of those teams is most likely to win it based on that reason alone

Secondly, seeding is anti competitive and ruins the competition imo - it can keep a seeded team in a higher position artificially and make it more difficult for other teams to break through

It ruins tennis imo, why not have an open draw, if two top players draw each other in the first round then that should add to the event, and mean that to win it, you have to deserve it rather than being given every advantage by the organisers.

I take your point, but other than 1930, how many teams have won the world cup, outside of the top nations in the game.?
As for Tennis and other one on one sports, seeding does have a purpose other than sponserships. The final should be contested by the best two players in the event. If someone has a blinding event and gets to a final then good luck to them, i love an underdog. Other than that, who wants to see Nadal or Federer thrash some unknown three straight sets, just because he got the luck of the draw and an easy passage to the final. Before you mention the F.A CUP, dont forget that is seeded as well to a certain extent.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I take your point, but other than 1930, how many teams have won the world cup, outside of the top nations in the game.?
As for Tennis and other one on one sports, seeding does have a purpose other than sponserships. The final should be contested by the best two players in the event. If someone has a blinding event and gets to a final then good luck to them, i love an underdog. Other than that, who wants to see Nadal or Federer thrash some unknown three straight sets, just because he got the luck of the draw and an easy passage to the final. Before you mention the F.A CUP, dont forget that is seeded as well to a certain extent.

Agreed it should be contested by the best two players in the event, which are the 2 players who beat whoever they have had to face on the way reguardless of their rank or seeding rather than because someone has decided which 2 players they would prefer in the final and tried to manipulate the draw so that their desired finalists get through.

As you said, you think its boring when 2 fairly equal teams meet, but if the final of the tennis is seeded to get 2 fairly equal players to meet in the final isn't there a good chance that would lead to a boring final?

And how does a player go up through the rankings to get seeded if they are disadvantaged by bering drawn against the top seeds rather than giving them a fair chance of getting through a few rounds and improving their ranking first.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
This World Cup has been GASH. And my Fantasy League team is doing SHIT. But.....

Its FIVE days old. Five days. 5. 5. Patience the f*** up you miserable bastards. The Instant Gratification Culture. I blame Big Brother.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
This World Cup has been GASH. And my Fantasy League team is doing SHIT. But.....

Its FIVE days old. Five days. 5. 5. Patience the f*** up you miserable bastards. The Instant Gratification Culture. I blame Big Brother.

But these are supposed to be the best 32 teams in the WORLD

The other 135 (?) members of FIFA can't be all that then, shirley ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here