Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This West Ham stadium move im getting more confused daily....

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
Surely the best option all round would be for West Ham to use the Olympic Stadium for 2-3 years whilst The Boleyn ground is flattened and redeveloped. Surely there must be some insane Arab/Russian willing to throw money at this.

The area is dead thats the main issue with West Ham, you will see when we go away, its awful.

I dont understand the issue, i also like how Spurs have used the riots to help get the public funding.

Not sure that it was. The infrastructure to cope with large numbers of people is now in place, but the stadium is simply not suited to football. Spurs were going to turn it into a football stadium and use some of the Olympic Stadium pieces to rebuilt Crystal Palace into a venue more suited to top class athletics. Instead, West Ham are going to be playing at a stadium not suited to football just so that we can host a World Athletics Championship once in the next 50 years.

As for Orient, MEH. They should have complained about this YEARS ago, and not just used it to leverage a free stadium from the public purse as a bribe for not making a fuss about West Ham moving in.

But it was pretty much enshrined in the bid that there would be a lasting legacy for athletics - doing up Crystal Palace is not a legacy, given that it's not a venue for the Games. That (and the fact that they wanted to move there all the way from Haringey, into an area that already has two professional clubs) was what made it laughable. The fact that they ended up having to invite bids from football clubs at all (having said earlier in the process that they desperately wanted to avoid a City of Manchester Stadium-type situation) was farcical.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
The area is dead thats the main issue with West Ham, you will see when we go away, its awful.

I dont understand the issue, i also like how Spurs have used the riots to help get the public funding.

I agree it's a massive shit hole round there. They do have pubs which have strippers at lunchtime tho, which is always nice.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
I was astounded to learn last week that the Staido Del Alpi (Juventus/Tornio) was only built for the 1990 World Cup, and was demolished in 2006 after the Athletics Track surrounding it was never used. Juventus has built a new stadium on the site which opened last week when they played the mighty Notts County.

I can see the same thing happening to the Stratford Stadium....

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
The fact that they ended up having to invite bids from football clubs at all (having said earlier in the process that they desperately wanted to avoid a City of Manchester Stadium-type situation) was farcical.

which is odd because city have made the stadium useful; i've no doubt that if it was used exclusively for athletics it would be used 3 days out of 365 ... and 2 of them would be school sports days.

there is a little 6k seater atheltics track next door to COMS which they use for local athletics events, it works out just great and is a legitimate 'legacy'.

D

Deleted member 18477

Fair play, that looks way cooler than the emirates.

i prefer the emirates, that looks very odd the way the 3 tiers suddenly just stop and go into 1. Dortmund have mastered the single tier stand at one end. theres looks incredible when full!!! (and the 2 side stands are basically single tiers with a little divide in between. single tier does create a better atmosphere. I'd have massive single tiers on the whole stadium (and corners) and shove the boxes at the top for the posh. add a roof and wow THAT would be loud!

Last edited by a moderator:

which is odd because city have made the stadium useful; i've no doubt that if it was used exclusively for athletics it would be used 3 days out of 365 ... and 2 of them would be school sports days.

there is a little 6k seater atheltics track next door to COMS which they use for local athletics events, it works out just great and is a legitimate 'legacy'.

I think it was more to do with the criteria for the Olympic bid than any personal opinions - the IOC like the stadia to be utilised for athletics, and there's been some disquiet about the fact that West Ham will move there with athletics as a secondary event, I'm sure it would have been significantly worse had Spurs moved in and there been no athletics at all. I think the IOC would have taken a dim view had this usage been evident at the time of the bids.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I was astounded to learn last week that the Staido Del Alpi (Juventus/Tornio) was only built for the 1990 World Cup, and was demolished in 2006 after the Athletics Track surrounding it was never used. Juventus has built a new stadium on the site which opened last week when they played the mighty Notts County.

I can see the same thing happening to the Stratford Stadium....

also their new stadium cost the same as the amex!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This is what Spurs are proposing, knocking the olympic stadium down to build the design above. Which is apparently why West Ham were given the Stadium as they are keeping it but reducing numbers of seats.

You have to admit, knocking down a brand new stadium to build a brand new stadium is totally insane whichever way you look at it.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
But the inside would be a damn site better than the Emirates. Look at that cop. Awesome.

2710_spurs.jpg

I much prefer the fans close to the pitch, rather then the gap inbetween.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Could be wrong here...but what are the rules about moving within a mile of another Stadium,was under the impression that it was not allowed...therefore as Leyton Orient are the nearest stadia...but could not fill it...who has priority...or will we get another franchiase team moving in as MK.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My first pub was at the end of Prince Regents Lane near gate 16 of the East India Docks. Is there not land down there that could be used for stadium, there was a stadium in Prince Regents Lane think it was for dogs mind that was 40+ years ago.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
Could be wrong here...but what are the rules about moving within a mile of another Stadium,was under the impression that it was not allowed...therefore as Leyton Orient are the nearest stadia...but could not fill it...who has priority...or will we get another franchiase team moving in as MK.

I think the FA and FL make the rules up as they go along. And if you're a big club you get to do what you want and if you're a little club they couldn't give a daffy duck what happens.

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
I think the FA and FL make the rules up as they go along. And if you're a big club you get to do what you want and if you're a little club they couldn't give a daffy duck what happens.

yeah as Leyton have always been there.

Fact is the Olympic stadium is not even in the same area as Leyton ground, yet it is in West Ham.

Also all Leyton want out of this is money, they have said its fine for spurs to move but not West Ham, maybe if Orient Charged less than £22 a ticket they might actually get more fans attending.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here