Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

THIS WEEK'S CAMPAIGN - Reaching the people who haven’t yet written to Prescott

Reaching the people who haven’t yet written to Prescott

The response to the Campaign so far has been amazing. John Prescott has probably received thousands of e-mails and letters.

But there must be many people without internet access or e-mail facilities who have yet to write a letter. Some of them are your friends, family and work colleagues. If you can persuade them to join the campaign, we can double the size of Prescott's post bag.

Download the pdf version of the letter from HERE
or copy and paste the following letter into a separate document. Then print out as many copies as you need, carry them around with you and get people to put their address at the top and signature at the bottom.

THEN TAKE THE SIGNED LETTER BACK FROM THEM AND BRING IT TO THE BOURNEMOUTH GAME WHERE SOMEONE FROM THE FALMER FOR ALL TEAM WILL COLLECT IT OFF YOU FOR ONWARD DISPATCH TO MR PRESCOTT.

……………………….
……………………….
……………………….
……………………….
……………………….

Mr John Prescott
Office of the Deputy Prime Minister
26 Whitehall
London SW1A 2WH

Dear Deputy Prime Minister

I am writing to urge you to approve the plans for a community stadium at Falmer, Brighton. I believe you should do this for the following reasons:

1. Brighton & Hove is a somewhat isolated city of national importance with 250,000 residents. Its football club is important as part of the national league competitions in our national sport. A stadium in the city is clearly in the national interest.

2. A stadium is essential for the well-being of any town or city. The Brighton & Hove community stadium would provides huge benefits in sport, health, education, skills, crime-reduction and employment, especially in the deprived areas of East Brighton. It will enable the football club to fulfil its potential within the community for the benefit of all.

3. The site identified by the city council on the University of Brighton campus and adjacent field is the only location in the area for a stadium where a sustainable transport strategy can be implemented in line with Government policy. Land-take is thus minimised.

These benefits far outweigh the loss of a small area of land in the area of outstanding natural beauty.

Since the previous, discredited, absentee owner sold the club’s former ground against the wishes of an entire community, Brighton & Hove Albion supporters have battled for nine years to provide a suitable home for their club. Please approve the plans for Brighton & Hove's community stadium.

Yours sincerely

………………….

Last edited by a moderator:

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Would be prepared to hand out letters in Brighton again.

Me and Stu are going to target Sussex Uni this week as well.

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
Lord B, regarding the AONB, am I deluded in thinking that the South Downs National Park boundary will mean that the AONB status for the Falmer site will be re-designated?

Apologies for asking a question which was no doubt addressed during the Public Enquiry.

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
balloonboy said:
Lord B, regarding the AONB, am I deluded in thinking that the South Downs National Park boundary will mean that the AONB status for the Falmer site will be re-designated?

Apologies for asking a question which was no doubt addressed during the Public Enquiry.

This question was asked of Paul Camillin, and this was his response:

"It is a point you can make, but I don't think it will cut any ice with
Prescott. I know it sounds daft, but it's actually irrelevant until it
happens.

The better points to make are the ones that go for the anti's strongest
argument... that it's in an AONB.

To overcome this, we need to convince Prescott that the stadium plan is
within the three criteria (below).

- the need cannot be satisfied elsewhere.
- the significant social & economic benefits, which far outweigh the loss of
AONB land.
- the need is significant in terms of National consideration."

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
just posted this in another thread, surely we must take advantage:

Target Schools! OK its half-term for most right now, but we gotta get in touch with Headmasters of schools and get them to get the kids to write to JP in favour of Falmer.....now THERES alot of letters/potential petition signers :clap:

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Danny Seagull may be able to help with schoolchildren he knows a fair few.

STU and I will be campaigning at the UNIVERSITY OF SUSSEX tomorrow at 1pm if anyone wants to help.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
fatboy said:
Danny Seagull may be able to help with schoolchildren he knows a fair few.

STU and I will be campaigning at the UNIVERSITY OF SUSSEX tomorrow at 1pm if anyone wants to help.
No!

But i'm available Friday if there is another Clock Tower one...

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
As posted elsewhere, my two daughters were disappointed to miss out on the Whitehall event, so I'm planning to pitch up in Brighton on Wednesday with the two of them. Current plan is to head for the Clock Tower and distribute leaflets for a couple of hours. I'm currently drafting something which I'll get Lord Bracknell and others to vet first, but it will major on the massive negative impact a NO decision will have on the kids of Sussex. I think any appeal to schools and school kids should also highlight these issues.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Can help Wednesday if required. Won't have a lot else to do other than two essays for Thursday and will be in Brighton anyway for the England game.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
would be good for a straight 3rd friday, kids on half-term are the new angle we should be taking this with. Most of them hav 'net access at home/school/college/uni so the petition is a plus point. They might not be so keen on writing letters so just get them to sign the bog standard one.

Biscuit...Get on it :thumbsup:

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Sussex Uni are hamster worriers

They have an official neutral stance on Falmer, and won't let us leave letters on campus.

However, me and STU are going to hand them out to people anyway.

Last edited:

STU

Feb 6, 2004
I have just cirlculated an e-mail to thousands of students with links to the online petition and ODPM - email. Should be effective.

Also taking a lot of the pre -written letters to campus tommorrow and will get at least a few hundred filled out. Where will we hand them in at Bournmouth match?

The Famous Grouse

Dec 9, 2003
Could you leave letters on comunial boards?? Is there a Uni mag or sheet that gets handed out, could you write for that or ask to have a bit on the bottom?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here