Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This stupid law about booking celebrations

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Can anything be done to petition FIFA about this. Obviously such laws are decided by pompous morons who've never played a game in their life and doesn't know what it's like to score in such a highly charged passionate atmosphere.

The ONLY reason to book a player for celebrating should be if he gesticulates towards the opposition fans. There is no other reason at all... time is barely wasted as the ref can just add it on if needs be.

Something NEEDS to be done about these tossers who are ruining the immense joy that football can bring.

Last edited:

Inkerman

Sep 3, 2003
Berkshire
Jam The Man said:
The ONLY reason to book a player for celebrating should be if he gesticulates towards the opposition fans.

Which you obviously deem as offensive.

Apparently - and according to FIFA - in other countries it is considered offensive to bare one's chest and therefore it is a bookable offence.

You wouldn't want it to be a bookable offence only for things that offend you and not for things that offend others, would you?

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
There is a new ruling out this year in Youth Football stating "Any Player removing his shirt in a Goal celebration shall immediately recieve a Caution"!!

Also we now have to carry spare shirts in case some kid gets a cut and has to leave the field of play because of a bit of blood on his shirt!

How rich do they think Kids football Clubs are??

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I can't believe most of you are actually FOR this ruling! You must've been defenders when you played in your youth and never experienced the thrill of scoring...

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
But Blatter is quoted as saying today that he shouldn't have been sent off... Make your f*cking minds up FIFA

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Jam The Man said:
I can't believe most of you are actually FOR this ruling! You must've been defenders when you played in your youth and never experienced the thrill of scoring...

Between you and me I reckon most people on here have never kicked a football in there lives with some of the crap they come out with!!

Robbie G

Jul 26, 2004
Hassocks
What happens if another person lifts up your shirt?

Do they get booked? Do you both get booked? Only you get booked, because it's your shirt? :shootself

Last edited:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I thought it was a bit of a crappy rule, but then I thought, it's only in recent years that players have decided it's pertinent to strip off when scoring a goal.

Footballers right up until the mid 1990s never felt the urge to whip out the old rug of love and parade it before 20,000 fans, so I'm sure they can cope now.

Every other player does it, it's completely overdone now, so I have no problem with the new rule I've decided. Perhaps our generally thick footballers will actually come up with some decent and/or original goal celebrations now instead of all copying each other. Or maybe just do that terribly old fashioned idea of jumping around ecstatically, legging it towards the crowd to milk the adulation and then kicking of again. Call me an old fart...

While we're about it, can FIFA also ban the playing of music by stadium announcers when goals are scored? Completely ruins the moment, and turns all the leaping about and cheers into polite, rhythmic applause within seconds.

Imagine the joy of Virgo's equaliser on Saturday being spoilt by ANOTHER crappy rendition of Tom Hark, or that Carling advert music. I was jumping around for at least a couple of minutes thanks to Sir Adam, but if Watford had put the music on, I'd have been reduced immediately to clapping like a deranged old woman, in time with 2200 others.

Ban the music now.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
In fact, ban ANY "personality" PA announcers -- like that bellend at Wigan -- and make them all read out the names of the players once before kick off, the names of the mascots, the Goldstone Gamble winning number, and the half time results. That's it. And not standing on the pitch either, that's shite.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Re: Re: This stupid law about booking celebrations

Inkerman said:
Apparently - and according to FIFA - in other countries it is considered offensive to bare one's chest and therefore it is a bookable offence.

You wouldn't want it to be a bookable offence only for things that offend you and not for things that offend others, would you?

So womens games should be played with a full burka, as it is offensive in other countries for women to show their faces / bodies in public?

As was demonstrated by the Italian ref in Wales last week, it is difficult to legislate for all eventualities when it comes to customs. It is stupid of FIFA to try to make rules that will work in every country, although the players should be warned if their "normal" behaviour will be frowned upon when playing abroad or against foreign opposition.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Even Sepp Blatter said it shouldn't have been a booking.:angry:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Sepp Blatter is a twat of the highest order, who allows a new law like this to go through but then disowns it as soon as there is some bad publicity. He controls the sport, or at least its governance and rules, he should take responsibility when some like this happens. Twat.

Anyway, i dont think its got anything to do with the bearing of chests being offensive (im not sure that any culture does) but comes from players wearing their sponsor's shirts or making political statments.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
beorhthelm said:
Sepp Blatter is a twat of the highest order, who allows a new law like this to go through but then disowns it as soon as there is some bad publicity. He controls the sport, or at least its governance and rules, he should take responsibility when some like this happens. Twat.

Anyway, i dont think its got anything to do with the bearing of chests being offensive (im not sure that any culture does) but comes from players wearing their sponsor's shirts or making political statments.

Yeah, that's why I thought this came about. Surely the answer is to book only those players with slogans on a t-shirt underneath.

I'm with Edna on playing music as well. Now there is an area that the League could act on. And I'd like to see that Palace announcer banned for saying Andy .... Johnson every time he scores a goal (not that he'll get many opportunities this year).

Oh, Berty G, lay off the reference to shirtlifters on this site. We get enough grief as it is. :)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The big danger with bookings for goal celebrations is that Palace might wangle a UEFA Cup place by easily coming top of the Fair Play League due to their lack of goal celebrations :ohmy:

oldham gull

Jul 24, 2003
Oldham
To be fair, if Palace do score, and their players run over to Dowie to celebrate like Cahill did to Moyes, then they are all likely to pull their shirts over their faces. 10 bookings from 1 goal!!

Inkerman

Sep 3, 2003
Berkshire
oldham gull said:
To be fair, if Palace do score, and their players run over to Dowie to celebrate like Cahill did to Moyes, then they are all likely to pull their shirts over their faces. 10 bookings from 1 goal!!

Actually that's a thought. Will one team be brave enough for all the players to remove their shirts as a goal celebration and a protest against this stupidity. I'd like to see the ref cope with that.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
initially I thought it was a stupid rule, but thinking about it its pretty good, I dont want to watch the likes of that greasey twat Ronaldo taking his shirt off and running about flashing his nipples about

If anything you could argue its a diascredit to the club abusing the shirt.

smaler gestures like kissing the badge goes down ok though (not that there are many players around these days who love their club)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here