Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This season

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Does anyone else share my gut feeling that our season started in the second half at Millwall, Slade will start to play Dicker (at last) and that we're going to coast past Wycombe and climb up the table in September?

I don't know why, but I'm still optimistic about *this* season and that a play off place is still well within reach. We just need to get into a winning habit.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Hmmm.
I kind of get the feeling that we've turned so many corners, we're now back where we started.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Can I tell you after Saturday?

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I'm hopefull but not overly confident.

Simster did you use to own a building company at the bottom of Doods road?

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Last season we started well and were top after 3 games, everyone thought this is it, it almost ended in disaster.

Hopefully this time it is the other way around. We start shit and finish on a high note in the top 6 of the league, but I I would be happy with a top 10 spot.

Worryingly we have used 21 players already, and not won a game, SURELY this time he will start with Dicker, but as I joked yesterday we would sign another winger, I am fully expecting Navarro (not fully fit) and Crofts to be given more time to gel.

However we are playing Wycombe, they are a bit rubbish, and must be our "easiest" game of the season. Must win game already!!

HG201

Proud Ruffian
Jul 16, 2008
Birmingham
Does anyone else share my gut feeling that our season started in the second half at Millwall, Slade will start to play Dicker (at last) and that we're going to coast past Wycombe and climb up the table in September?

I don't know why, but I'm still optimistic about *this* season and that a play off place is still well within reach. We just need to get into a winning habit.

Yes, i am feeling everything you just said. :yahoo:

lets just hope we don't slip up on saturday again :US:

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Last season we started well and were top after 3 games, everyone thought this is it, it almost ended in disaster.

Hopefully this time it is the other way around. We start shit and finish on a high note in the top 6 of the league, but I I would be happy with a top 10 spot.

Worryingly we have used 21 players already, and not won a game, SURELY this time he will start with Dicker, but as I joked yesterday we would sign another winger, I am fully expecting Navarro (not fully fit) and Crofts to be given more time to gel.

However we are playing Wycombe, they are a bit rubbish, and must be our "easiest" game of the season. Must win game already!!

Stockport were surely a weaker team?

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I kind of get the feeling that we've turned so many corners, we're now back where we started.

I did that on my first trip to Amsterdam. After walking from the station to where I thought The Centrum hotel was I couldn't find it so walked round the block again and ended back at the station. I then decided to get a taxi to The Centrum which again went round pretty much the same block before deliverying me 10 or so yards from where I'd given up my search in the first place (the hotel being literally round the corner). However I didn't mind the wasted time and euros because the young Dutch taxi driver was playing Africa by Toto and when me and my mate Andy started singing along in the back he said "hey, you like Toto eh boys?", cranked it up and joined in the singalong. This remains one of the most strangely uplifting moments of my life.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester

Yes.......with everyone fit and playing in their best positions and making the right team selections...ie Dicker i think the play offs are not out of the question.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Yes mate I do.

Everyone has written us off already which suits me fine.

Living here in Essex I probably get told 3 or 4 times a day how shit we are by the curious mixture of Orient, West Ham, Tottenham and Millwall I work with..I just smile a little smile and think...be still my lovelies, for soon the south will rise again.

Not sure why because I watched us at Brentford and thought we looked like a Sunday League team and also suffered the Walsall humiliation. But, even when we are getting tonked, there is something there, something that is growing..Belief? Confidence? I'm not sure...but I can FEEL it in my water.

Could'nt make the Millwall game much to my frustration as had a ticket, but from the sounds of it we gave them a proper knock and they did'nt know what to do with us for long periods..and I fancy Millwall for 3rd this term.

Its coming I just know it. Something different from last season where we really did seem to have run out of ideas and even my patience was tested, the new lads will settle in I'm sure and we will get on track and surprise a few of the "big" teams who will be expecting us to be whipping boys. A good win is all we need to build momentum.

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
I am not overly worried by our start to the season. It took Slade a few matches to revitalise our squad at the tail end of last season, and with a change in personnel I think that the problems we are having are teething problems. I don't know what to put this blind optimism down to, but like you Sim, I had serious misgivings abiout last season even when we started brightly. Maybe I just don;t care enough any more, but while being at the 2-4 Stockport match made me angry, the 7-1 defeat at Huddersfield was such an extreme reverse that I could write it off as a freak event. It still might take a few more games to get into second gear, so I'm not expecting us to walk past Wycombe on Saturday, but I do feel that we will be top half / on the fringes of the playoffs come April.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I am hoping that is the case. Slade's comments in the Argus about Navarro worried me a little. It is just so obvious that Dicker must be playing, Navarro came here with a decent reputation and I wouldn't write him off completely but he needs to get fit, and not in the first team at the expense of one of our best players.

I always thought some of the predictions for the season were over optimistic, we did a lot worse than we should have last year but still to go from relegation strugglers to promotion contenders in one season is not easy.
Slade is reshaping the squad, when you sign so many players it's unlikely they will all work out. I still think we'll end up top half, which should be a solid base to build from and really go for promotion leading into the new stadium.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
No, but I do live on Doods road!

Sorry had you confused as one of the Sims. Doods road aye nice part of Reigate, shame they closed down the post office though. I grew up on Croydon road by Wray common, it's a far cry from where I live now!

Does Alan Minter still live in owduwannit cottage on Doods road?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Wycombe are a team we should beat, if we do then I'll say yes. Still not convinced and am getting a bit tired of making excuses.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think Silent Bob hits the nail on the head. You can't expect a revamped side to gel immediately, but so many people have said that the signs of a good side are there.

I think the start has been especially disappointing because we're all expecting great things from Bloom splashing a certain amount of cash, but maybe this was unrealistic. I'm hoping that Slade's brief is to get a quality side fully settled and finishing the season quite strongly, so that with one or two minor tweaks we can go for promotion next season. And I reckon that Slade will only look vulnerable if his team is not looking like a really solid unit after the January transfer window.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Sorry had you confused as one of the Sims. Doods road aye nice part of Reigate, shame they closed down the post office though. I grew up on Croydon road by Wray common, it's a far cry from where I live now!
Yeah, Sims got shut down about a year ago. They're building flats on that plot I think. Did you go to Holmesdale school?(my kids go there)

Does Alan Minter still live in owduwannit cottage on Doods road?
Yes, yes he does. Strange little place - he's 4 doors up from me.

(best carry on with this off line, it's probably boring everyone else)

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
When we played Bris C a few years back under McGhee they were in a similar position to us now. They had got off to a bad start and seemed there for the taking. We went there expecting to win but lost 1-0 (I think) and MM was sacked. Bris C went on to get promotion and that was the start of their run.

I think we may be about to do something similar. Perhaps not promotion but certainly a series of much improved results.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here