Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This question has been bugging me for years but I've never Googled it

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
When and why did Peking suddenly become Beijing? I mean, Peking was good enough when I were a nipper, why isn't it good enough now? Seems to me the BBC are responsible for this, sneaking the new name into its news broadcasts without even asking my permission.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I asked this question to a Mandarin speaker so I know the answer to this.

The West changed the pronunciation system some years ago from Wade-Giles to Pinyin. Pinyin was developed in China in the 50s and made its way westwards. I don't exactly know when the new system was adopted but it would have been some time in the 70s I guess.

My friend was indignant about inconsistencies however. For example, we say tofu in the west - the W-G pronunciation - instead of saying dofu - the pinyin version.

The West changed the pronunciation system some years ago from Wade-Giles to Pinyin. Pinyin was developed in China in the 50s and made its way westwards. I don't exactly know when the new system was adopted but it would have been some time in the 70s I guess.

My friend was indignant about inconsistencies however. For example, we say tofu in the west - the W-G pronunciation - instead of saying dofu - the pinyin version.

I hate dofu, so I call it TOfu, just to piss your friend off.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
When and why did Peking suddenly become Beijing? I mean, Peking was good enough when I were a nipper, why isn't it good enough now? Seems to me the BBC are responsible for this, sneaking the new name into its news broadcasts without even asking my permission.

Only a guess, but I would assume that we anglicised these places names, like Beijing and Mumbai and they have been reclaimed to their originals.

Slough Seagull

Bye Bye Slough
Nov 23, 2006
Wasn't it always called Beijing in China though? Maybe we have just adopted their name for it.

Yes, but only if you are speaking Mandarin - if for example you were speaking Cantonese it would be pronounced more like baa ging. Anyway, if it was consistant we should start calling Hong Kong Xiang Gang

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Only a guess, but I would assume that we anglicised these places names, like Beijing and Mumbai and they have been reclaimed to their originals.

I wonder if the same will ever happen in Wales, where all the Welshified place names will return to their original spellings:

Porthmadog goes back to Port Madoc
Trefforest goes back to Treforest

etc...

Porky

Oct 5, 2003
Ontario. Canada

Who could possibly argue with this answer?????

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Yes,and Snickers used to be pronounced Marathon.

Really,it's all double dutch.I've been to Bombay as well.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Personally, I don't think it's exactly wrong or impolite to other cultures to state "we call your town or country this", say, Peking. After all, we generally don't think it's impolite to use English words for other countries, only towns.

If the actual name changes, like Myanmar, then well, fine. But the Germans and Spanish still happily call the Chinese capital Pekin(g). And everyone in Goa still seems to call the very large coastal town located to their north Bombay.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Does this question REALLY bug you?

I mean, do you actually lose sleep at night due to this important issue?

It's time to let it go, my friend, move on. Beijing it is. The world continues to turn.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here