Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This may be a stupid question...

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
...but which uses less electricity: charging or running a device off the mains via a normal plug, or doing so via your computer's USB socket?

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Can you hook up one of those vibrating rubber vaginas to a USB?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Presumably the mains, as you don't also have to power the computer. :shrug:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I'm too concerned about my carbon bumprint.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I would be more bothered about burning your old chap.

mikeandclive.jpg

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
...but which uses less electricity: charging or running a device off the mains via a normal plug, or doing so via your computer's USB socket?

I would make the assumption that charging it off the USB would use more electricity since the current has to pass through more components, cables etc. meaning more resistance and energy loss.

Just a guess like :shrug:

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I would make the assumption that charging it off the USB would use more electricity since the current has to pass through more components, cables etc. meaning more resistance and energy loss.

Just a guess like :shrug:
is the right answer

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Input to output. It'll all be the same. Electricity isn't going to get sucked into resistors and wires and just disappear forever into the air, or get stored there either.

Yes but it turns into HEAT and LIGHT and KINETIC energy, innert?

Most of the USB devices in a catalogue I've just looked in run off twelve volts. If you plug your device into the mains using an adapter it will probably use twelve volts.

It's always much quicker charging my iPod with the mains adapter, though.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Yes but it turns into HEAT and LIGHT and KINETIC energy, innert?

Exactly. The energy is not lost but it is turned into heat. It is not "sucked into" cables and resistors it is expelled as a different form of energy. The heat that comes from electrical items isn't coming from nowhere, it is wasted electricity (unless it's an electric heater obviously :lolol:).

The NMH answer is the WRONG answer :)

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
If your computer is already on then its cheaper to plug straight into the USB port.

To operate directly from the mains will require the use of an extra transformer, with its attendant inefficiencies and energy losses through heat.:smokin:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
If your computer is already on then its cheaper to plug straight into the USB port.

To operate directly from the mains will require the use of an extra transformer, with its attendant inefficiencies and energy losses through heat.:smokin:

Surely though if you pass extra current through a hot transformer that is already under heavy load it must be less efficient than using a cold transformer that is under no load?

And that is before you take into account that a mains charger is a transformer with a short length of cable where as with USB the current has to travel down the mains cable, through the transformer and associated cabling, through the circuit boards and down the USB cable. The latter path must be less efficient than the former?

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Oh what does it MATTER ?

If only that thought always went through your mind before you pressed the Submit button....... :jester::p

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here