Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This is not meant to depress you....

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
From a Charlton friend...

East-stand jigsaw complete

The final piece of Charlton's complex east-stand redevelopment jigsaw was completed on Thursday night when Greenwich Council approved the residential aspect of the club's plans.

While most fans were concerned with events elsewhere as the August transfer window neared closure, councillors voted overwhelmingly in favour of the proposal to build nine flats at the rear of the south-east corner of The Valley.

The final vote was nine to zero, and Addicks chief executive Peter Varney admitted it was satisfying to gain full consent for all aspects of the project.

"The residential part is the final element of our complex east-stand planning application," he said.

"It has been a long process, and we are delighted at the successful conclusion of gaining full consent for what will be a spectacular development once it is constructed."

Varney added: "We have not set a timetable for any work at this stage, but this will be debated at board level in the near future.

"I would also like to thank the council for its support by backing this venture."

Charlton kicked off their initial plans to turn their SE7 home into a 31,000-capacity all-seater stadium back in November 2004, with detailed proposals for a second tier to the east stand and a new south-east quadrant handed to Greenwich Council the following month.

On top of that, the club also revealed its long-term intention to increase the capacity to 40,600, with additional work proposed at the south end of the stadium, the Jimmy Seed Stand.

Greenwich Council granted approval for the east-stand proposals in June 2005, with the alterations also set to benefit the community.

Among the new facilities available will be a business information centre, créche and college facilities - with the redevelopment further cementing the club's role at the heart of its local surroundings.

No you are not years behind – don’t forget ten years ago we were right where you are. No ground and the one we did have in tatters and ownership disputed and council not willing to support our plans to return. That’s why I sent this to you.

In less than ten years time you will be in a new ground and you will not be worrying about adding bits -it will all be there o your plans will be about team development.

What a lot of people don’t realise is that Charlton have had to face a number of problems since returning.

They lost generation of fans when they moved to 'Sellout' Park and they have had to invest heavily in getting that back
they also lost the local links with players and nobody wanted to go to a club operating out of portacabins that looked like it was going to fold up any minute.

The good news is that you do not compete with other local clubs you have a good fan base and identity. It’s a good place to live and the stadium will be exciting and easy to get to.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
BarrelofFun said:
Greenwich Council granted approval for the east-stand proposals in June 2005, with the alterations also set to benefit the community.

I take it Charlton weren't gormless enough to include part of the development in a neighbouring borough whose council have a vested interest in the project never being completed then? ???

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Re: Re: This is not meant to depress you....

Tom Hark said:
I take it Charlton weren't gormless enough to include part of the development in a neighbouring borough whose council have a vested interest in the project never being completed then? ???

Presumably they had a whole site that could accomodate the whole stadium, within the same jurisdiction. There is only one site and we have chosen that.

Last edited:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country

Tom Hark said:

As opposed to picking a different site which would have had even more opponents or in many of the cases never been granted pemission at all. Yeah, good point :rolleyes:

Seagull's Return

Nov 7, 2003
Brighton
This isn't depressing - apart from anything else, congratulations are due to Charlton, surely? They've come back from homelessness, ground-sharing at The Rats Nest Of Evil, etc, and are now in the top flight with a (by all accounts) good stadium. AND they took loads to Fans United, to their eternal credit. I don't give a f*** about Premiership teams, but I do still have a soft spot for Charlton fans. Good luck to 'em.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Re: Re: Re: This is not meant to depress you....

Rangdo said:
As opposed to picking a different site which would have had even more opponents or in many of the cases never been granted pemission at all. Yeah, good point :rolleyes:

Not saying it's the wrong site. Just that it's a tad stupid to build the poxy coach park partly in LDC's rotten borough.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Re: Re: Re: Re: This is not meant to depress you....

Tom Hark said:
Not saying it's the wrong site. Just that it's a tad stupid to build the poxy coach park partly in LDC's rotten borough.

But if you look at the map of the area where else is there to put it?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This is not meant to depress you....

Rangdo said:
But if you look at the map of the area where else is there to put it?

I'm sure if the club had known beforehand that LDC would kick up the stink they have done, some lateral thinking could have been applied.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This is not meant to depress you....

Tom Hark said:
I'm sure if the club had known beforehand that LDC would kick up the stink they have done, some lateral thinking could have been applied.

But how could they have known how LDC would behave? Would you have prediceted this bizarre series of events 3 or 4 years ago when you couldn't possibly say who would even be making the decisions for the council that far down the line? I certainly wouldn't.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
BarrelofFun said:
"It has been a long process...
Charlton kicked off their initial plans... in November 2004

A veritable lifetime. Thank God ours has been so much quicker, eh.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

bhafc99 said:
A veritable lifetime. Thank God ours has been so much quicker, eh.

That is their extension, not the stadium as a whole.

We are taking longer to get to the stadium in comparison to Charlton, but there are some parallels which can be drawn upon and there is hope.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country

Trufflehound said:
But that looks like it's made of Lego. How are they going to fit 31,000 in there? Are all Charlton fans 1/8 of an inch tall?

You can build some pretty impressive structures from Lego. Did you never go to the Lego exhibition at the Brighton Centre?

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Re: Re: Re: This is not meant to depress you....

Rangdo said:
You can build some pretty impressive structures from Lego. Did you never go to the Lego exhibition at the Brighton Centre?

I still think 31,000 might be a tight squeeze.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here