Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'This Is England'

Goodfella

North Stand Boy X320
Feb 9, 2004
Brighton
What a film :clap:

Set in 1983 (A year hard to forget)
It's about a young boy who befriends a group of skinheads on his way home from school, and they become his new friends.

Directed by Shane meadows, whos' previous films inluded the acclaimed 'Dead Man's Shoes' and superb soundtrack featuring the likes of :

Dexys, the specials, toots and the maytals....etc

A must see.

9 out of 10 for me.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Yes I saw that and looking forward to it but haven't been to the pictures for ages.

Might see if next door neighbour can download it from wherever he gets these up to date films. ???

Goodfella

North Stand Boy X320
Feb 9, 2004
Brighton
Beach Hut said:
Yes I saw that and looking forward to it but haven't been to the pictures for ages.

Might see if next door neighbour can download it from wherever he gets these up to date films. ???

:ohmy: Download it?

Get your arse to the pictures man.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Beach Hut said:

I've had it sat on my computer for a few weeks now, so it's out there. Haven't actually got round to watching it yet though, guess I should make the effort.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I find the idea behind that film strangely puzzling. Surely skinheads were a seventies thing. There was the skinhead books, slade etc early seventies and I distinctly remember the brainless skum invading many a punk gig in the second half of the seventies and terrorising the natives. Don't recall seeing a single skin in the eighties tho. More dandy highwaymen than you could shake a stick at, but not a single SKIN. What's going on there then? ???

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Tom Hark said:
I find the idea behind that film strangely puzzling. Surely skinheads were a seventies thing. There was the skinhead books, slade etc early seventies and I distinctly remember the brainless skum invading many a punk gig in the second half of the seventies and terrorising the natives. Don't recall seeing a single skin in the eighties tho. More dandy highwaymen than you could shake a stick at, but not a single SKIN. What's going on there then? ???

They started in the 60's and were definately still around my neck of the woods well into the 80's, especially during the Ska revival which went from the late 70's into the early 80's. A lot of the ones at Boundstone when I started in 1980 ended up morphing into Northern Soul boys and girls. The 80's also saw the rise of the Socialst Skinheads with bands like The Redskins giving Neil Kinnock a right hard-on.

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Hungry Joe said:
The 80's also saw the rise of the Socialst Skinheads with bands like The Redskins giving Neil Kinnock a right hard-on.

Sure thing, but they were purely toytown gesture non-evil skinheads, nothing like the real thing, the genuine ROTTWEILER skins with two braincells locked in a life or death struggle inside a single skull. I still think the film-maker got this most basic of details absurdly wrong. The skinheads were INVISIBLE in the eighties. I stand to be corrected on this one, tho I don't think I will be.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I used to take the train from Lancing to Hove with one around 1984-5. He liked nothing more than wrecking as much of the train as possible en route. He fits your bill although I grant you that one skinhead does not the 70's make. There definately were a few around but as I don't have photographic evidence you'll have to take my word for it. They most definately were at their peak in the 70's fo sho.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Dead Man's Shoes is a brilliant film.

This is England is semi-autobiographical.....brave move by Shane Meadows.

The Face

H Block
Jan 24, 2007
BN2
Yeah, they're showing this at the Duke of Yorks aren't they? I'll have to get down there and watch it at some point.

There's a similar film coming out next year, can't remember the details.. I'll have a butch on google.

Oh yes , going to see it next week. Shane Meadows is a top bloke, very Strummeresque in his "get out there and do it" phillosophy.
I remember some nasty skins in the eighties TH. The Crawley lot were particularly nasty, one big ginger bastard who was always starting fights at gigs sticks in my mind.

Lots of skins used to do concerts in Brighton until the mid 80's......tended to merge into rockerbillies.......with the same results

The Face

H Block
Jan 24, 2007
BN2
The Face said:
Yeah, they're showing this at the Duke of Yorks aren't they? I'll have to get down there and watch it at some point.

There's a similar film coming out next year, can't remember the details.. I'll have a butch on google.

This is the one I was talking about..

The early 80s British 2 Tone scene is set to be immortalised in a new film.

'Clubbed' is set to star 'Shameless' actress Maxine Peake, and will be directed by 'Taxi!' director Neil Thompson. 'Shameless' creator Paul Abbott is the executive producer of the film.

The movie will be set in Coventry, the home of the sharp-suited, ska influence scene of 2 Tone, which saw bands like The Specials, The Selecter and The Beat rising to prominence. The scene influenced the sound of bands like The Ordinary Boys and The Enemy.

The plotline involves a factory worker on the verge of a nervous breakdown who finds his life changed following his involvement with a group of club doormen.

The film will be scored by M-People's Paul Heard, and will feature a diverse variety of 80s ska, Northern Soul and R&B tracks.

The movie is set to be released in early 2008.

Goodfella

North Stand Boy X320
Feb 9, 2004
Brighton
The Face said:
This is the one I was talking about..

The early 80s British 2 Tone scene is set to be immortalised in a new film.

'Clubbed' is set to star 'Shameless' actress Maxine Peake, and will be directed by 'Taxi!' director Neil Thompson. 'Shameless' creator Paul Abbott is the executive producer of the film.

The movie will be set in Coventry, the home of the sharp-suited, ska influence scene of 2 Tone, which saw bands like The Specials, The Selecter and The Beat rising to prominence. The scene influenced the sound of bands like The Ordinary Boys and The Enemy.

The plotline involves a factory worker on the verge of a nervous breakdown who finds his life changed following his involvement with a group of club doormen.

The film will be scored by M-People's Paul Heard, and will feature a diverse variety of 80s ska, Northern Soul and R&B tracks.

The movie is set to be released in early 2008.

Sounds good, will make sure we get here at the Duke Of York's. :clap:

bn3gunner

Feb 12, 2007
how does one go about downloading these movies , only ever able to watch on line -pms greatfully accepted

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
attila said:
Tom - there were masses of skins in the 80s, on both sides of the political divide, don't know how you missed 'em, guess you'd retired by then! The whole 'Oi!' Garry Bushell thing didn't start till '81....

I must indeed have missed them mate. Last active memory I have of skins was them turning on Jimmy Pursey, and shortly after that they started turning up en masse at Madness gigs. Mind you, there's been a lot of brain-cells destroyed since them there days, else maybe my mind refuses to accept the eighties completely. Maybe under deep hypnosis it would all come flooding back... :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here