Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Things the Uk could learn from other countries

Smile

Aug 19, 2011
Since leaving the UK and living in Spain there is one thing I think the UK should consider.

In Spain all the local police are at the schools in the morning and in the afternoon helping the kids cross the road. This may not seem a big deal, but I noticed over time how all the kids and parents including me knew them by their first names.

My children now think police are here to help, in the UK they thought it was not good when you saw a policeman. As I would be driving along maybe a few miles over the speed limit and see a copper and say damn there's the police.

Get the police at the primary schools to help them cross the road and in ten years time you will see a difference to how the youth look at the police.

The Spanish all respect and love their local coppers. The Guardia civil are another matter though.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Siestas are a fantastic idea and should be introduced world wide. I loved this part of Italian culture when I was there.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Siestas are a fantastic idea and should be introduced world wide.
They're only needed in really hot countries with no air conditioning, and only work for those who work close to home. Bad idea here.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Siestas are a fantastic idea and should be introduced world wide. I loved this part of Italian culture when I was there.

Yup, the Italian economy is really thriving by working a half a day. Seriously, not one for me - I don't want to stop at lunchtime, if I do, I don't want to start work again. Even if I did stop for lunch, I don't want to eat more than a sandwich - plus we don't have the sun to worry about. Nah, don't see it.

We could learn from the Italians the art of buying and cooking fresh produce, and their behaviour when drinking, though.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Greece can teach how to really go bust

PC-Gull

The Muffin Man
Apr 12, 2008
Brighton, Sussex, England
Canada has a great tradition of going out for Beer and Wings at a sports bar or pub. It is a really good way to spend an evening with friends and having a lot of laughs over good chicken wings and pitchers of beer.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
My children now think police are here to help, in the UK they thought it was not good when you saw a policeman. As I would be driving along maybe a few miles over the speed limit and see a copper and say damn there's the police.
Kinda sounds like that's your fault rather than the country's!

The one thing I wish we could get right here is having decent tasting fruit and veg, rather than the supermarkets just worrying about the shape/appearance of it!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Getting the country moving by NOT clogging up motorways with cones and NO workmen and having a cheap rail network.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Yup, the Italian economy is really thriving by working a half a day. Seriously, not one for me - I don't want to stop at lunchtime, if I do, I don't want to start work again. Even if I did stop for lunch, I don't want to eat more than a sandwich - plus we don't have the sun to worry about. Nah, don't see it.

We could learn from the Italians the art of buying and cooking fresh produce, and their behaviour when drinking, though.

are you suggesting the current problems with the economy was caused by some people having some food and a sleep in the afternoon?

How do you account for the problems in other parts of the world?

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Since leaving the UK and living in Spain there is one thing I think the UK should consider.

In Spain all the local police are at the schools in the morning and in the afternoon helping the kids cross the road. This may not seem a big deal, but I noticed over time how all the kids and parents including me knew them by their first names.

Get the police at the primary schools to help them cross the road and in ten years time you will see a difference to how the youth look at the police.

The Spanish all respect and love their local coppers. The Guardia civil are another matter though.

Interesting one to start with. Here in Japan, local oldies and parents line the routes to school, just to look out for and watch the kids as they all walk to school.

You often hear people in England complaining about the young and how they have no respect for their elders. Not the case in Japan or in Spain (I'm half Spanish) where a lot of respect is shown to older people and time spent with them too. A big difference in Japan and Spain to the UK is that old people all love kids. People don't moan about them making a noise/messing about in public. It's just my theory, but I think kids in England just can't wait to grow up to do all the things they're not supposed too and not be bossed about by the adults = more lairy,less respect. Japanese and Spanish kids grow up thinking of their elders as nice people to be around.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here