Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

There really are some stupid people about...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
That was the incredible end to a week-long operation at Scarborough's North Bay, as Royal Navy experts, some who had travelled almost 300 miles, discovered they had been called in to investigate a traffic cone!

Royal Navy Explosive Ordnance Disposal Petty Officer Wayne Grayson, who travelled 270 miles with four colleagues from Faslane in Scotland to tackle the "unexploded" object, admitted: "It's the first time we've ever had to defuse a traffic cone."

One of his divers sliced off the top of the cone with a small knife, leaving the body of it safely embedded beneath the sand.

The red alert over the blackened orange plastic mould began when a woman spotted something half-buried in the sand while walking her dog on Sunday.

She fled to contact coastguards, resulting in: bomb disposal experts based in Scotland being diverted from an incident in Hartlepool to investigate; police at the scene daily; coastguards on alert.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
On the flip side, I used to be in the local Coastguard and was once called to deal with a suspicious object on Goring beach. As it was a nice day I took my daughter with me (she was about 3 at the time) and with another Coastguard looked at this object. It was a bit rusty and looked like a small manhole cover. We took it in turn to flip it over with our feet but had already been told that the bomb disposal guys were on their way from Portsmouth. We spent our time making sure that no-one got within about 50 yards of it.

Once the bomb disposal biys arrived they immediately told us to extend the cordon to 800 yards as it was a WWII mine and if it went off on a shingle beach it would shower stones over about a 500 yard radius. They then very carefully moved it out to sea on a small raft and blew it up in about 5 feet of water. In their professional opinion it was high explosive in a volatile state which could have gone off with the slightest 'wrong' movement and would have killed anyone within 10-20 yards of it. :ohmy:

Since then I have treated unusual objects on the beach with a bit of caution...

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Fred found a shell upon the beach
He put it to his ear
It was an unexploded German one
Now Fred's longer here

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Man of Harveys said: