Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

There are too many fickle supporters who are demanding too much.

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
I will be the first to admit this season has been rubbish. I was one of the few who never backed us to go up. but plenty of fickle fans did.
When I go back to that dark day at Hereford I would have lost a finger to take our position were we are today.
So just a message to all you fickle idiots who jumped on the band wagon when Mickey got Zamora and we won the Leagues. Just go back to your Franchise style teams in the Premiership and start following us again when the good times start to roll at Falmer. We'll need need your fickle support to pay back the bank loan then,
I urge true supporters to rubbish all replies to this breed of supporter we seem to have developed at the Withdean.
Brightonian 200 years or more, its in the blood.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Winning more than 4 games out of 20 is not asking much at all.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Seeing a team of players who are not only proud to wear the shirt but also show some evidence of having spent all week training and therefore have some inkling of tactics.

I've seen many a poor Albion team but few who have under-performed like the current bunch.

Being an Albion fan ain't easy. you spend all week as the butt of jokes and you hope that next monday will be the one where you go to work with your head held high. but no, it's another ruined weekend, it's more grief for most of us when it's back to work/school etc.

Let's see some passion from the team. Get beat fair & square then fair enough but, FFS, give it a go.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Seeing a team of players who are not only proud to wear the shirt but also show some evidence of having spent all week training and therefore have some inkling of tactics.

I've seen many a poor Albion team but few who have under-performed like the current bunch.

Being an Albion fan ain't easy. you spend all week as the butt of jokes and you hope that next monday will be the one where you go to work with your head held high. but no, it's another ruined weekend, it's more grief for most of us when it's back to work/school etc.

Let's see some passion from the team. Get beat fair & square then fair enough but, FFS, give it a go.

Wise words from a seasoned supporter :clap:

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008

:bowdown: Well said that man, hats off to you sir

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

Which is exactly what i saw against MK dons, we were pushing hard, searching for an equaliser when we conceeded 2 late goals, one a slip by Elphick, the other a quick counter attack.

but even trying isn't enough anymore, those fans calling for Adams out, the board out etc after Fridays loss should take into account the fact thyat we were playing the team that were 3rd at the time, and the divisions highest scorers, but we were putting alot in in search of a late equaliser, it wasn't a poor display by us or one where the players didn't try, we just lost to a better side.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
What an excellent thread. People are demanding too much. Why do you think I keep coming on here and rubbishing these Adams out threads, because I want people to get f&*k*ig real and except what we have got and try and be happy and look to the future for our fantastic new stadium.

I'm afraid this is being mirrored up and down the country. Look at Paul Ince, he looks like a broken man at the moment. Yes he took the job, but there are so many idiots calling for his head. I have respect for him like I do with Adams for coming on and admitting he has made mistakes.

I am Albion through and through. It's not in my blood to support anyone else, I just could not do it.

I can thank my father who past away four years ago, for taking me to my first matches in the North Stand at the Goldstone. This is how I grew to love the Albion and always will.

How many people actually bothered to follow the Albion through those rough times, how many of these supporters actually bothered to travel to gillingham, how many actually went to the Goldstone?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
How many people actually bothered to follow the Albion through those rough times, how many of these supporters actually bothered to travel to gillingham, how many actually went to the Goldstone?

I think we have to acknowledge a lot of our supporters are not old enough to have done any of this. That is no fault of theirs and indeed our future fanbase will be the younger generation who will not remember the struggles the club endured.

Whether we like it or not todays supporter wants more for their hard earned cash than watching week after week of poor performances. Our fans are no different to any other in the country in that regard and managers are no longer given time to turn things around due to the financial impact of relegation.

There will always be the hardcore supporters who will turn up win/lose rain or shine and show their loyalty to the club however there are a lot that will not and we ignore these fans at our peril as like it or not without them we don't have a football club.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
When are we going to drag up Hereford until. 2050, 2100 , 2250 ?.

Some fans do not seem to have moved on from " Hereford ". Lets raise the bar a little shall we. Some fans seem to be contents with division 3 shite. As someone who has seen them go through the leagues in the late 70's and have 4 seasons in the Premiership as it now is including 2 visits to Wembley for the FAC Cup finals my expectations may be a little higher than fans who regard " Hereford " as the ultimate and best Albion game.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I will be the first to admit this season has been rubbish. I was one of the few who never backed us to go up. but plenty of fickle fans did.
When I go back to that dark day at Hereford I would have lost a finger to take our position were we are today.
So just a message to all you fickle idiots who jumped on the band wagon when Mickey got Zamora and we won the Leagues. Just go back to your Franchise style teams in the Premiership and start following us again when the good times start to roll at Falmer. We'll need need your fickle support to pay back the bank loan then,
I urge true supporters to rubbish all replies to this breed of supporter we seem to have developed at the Withdean.

Infact this thread is exactly why fans are being driven away and losing interest fast, no offence.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
It's a simple, but extremely sad, reflection of our times that most people who go to watch football games -- I draw the line here at using the word 'fans' -- are simply unwilling, perhaps even unable, to see things in perspective. They -- and Withdean spectators are no different -- fill their heads with impossibly unrealistic expectations. They demand instant and constant success, criticise relentlessly - turning on their own players and demanding the manager's and the chairman's heads the moment things take a bad turn.

Albion followers, more than most, really do need to get a grip. The fact that our small club has experienced all the extremes that football can offer -- of Ward, St James's Park, Manchester United at Wembley and Zamora on the one hand... and Hereford, Archer, Gillingham and Withdean at the other is what makes us absolutely and totally unique.

I simply ask all the moaners and whingers to take a few seconds to do this: just simply imagine what it really, really must be like to be a supporter of... Rochdale, Darlington, Torquay United, and yes, Shrewsbury Town. Their fans would absolutely donate a bollock to experience the incredible highs and lows, the excitement, the adrenaline rush and the sheer pride that comes from being a fan of this club of ours.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Infact this thread is exactly why fans are being driven away and losing interest fast, no offence.

Really US? I thought that fans were not attending due to

1. Poor performances on the pitch
2. Poor facilities off the pitch
3. High prices during a recession

....but if you say it is down to NSC, then that's your perogative.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Which is exactly what i saw against MK dons, we were pushing hard, searching for an equaliser when we conceeded 2 late goals, one a slip by Elphick, the other a quick counter attack.

but even trying isn't enough anymore, those fans calling for Adams out, the board out etc after Fridays loss should take into account the fact thyat we were playing the team that were 3rd at the time, and the divisions highest scorers, but we were putting alot in in search of a late equaliser, it wasn't a poor display by us or one where the players didn't try, we just lost to a better side.

Well, speaking for myself I ended last season expecting us to be up there challenging this season, in a play-off position, and therefore seeing games against teams 3rd place teams as big clashes against our play-off rivals. Playing them at home is a chance to close on them.

Instead I'm staring at the bottom 4 and praying we can stay ahead of them, and when coming up against a team 3rd in the table, I'm supposed to expect to lose, and therefore take some consolation from the fact we were momentarily within a goal of them going into stoppage time.

Well, I'm sorry, but however you paint it this is MILES below my expectations, and if this is even remotely close to the expectations of the Board when they appointed Adams, then you can call me Susan.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
In H Block there are a dozen or so young lads by me and Krispies, and they were resigned on Friday, but their banter was terrific. All of them taking the mickey out of one another, playing with phones and filming themselves, it was funny and joyous. Even better than that they do sing along, and make new tunes up. These are the new fans, that the club needs and not just that, they are injecting a new vibrance to the crowd.

Now take these new faces away. A dozen empty seats. A dozen lost eats for life, and not just that, these lads tell their mates, and so on, and believe me, whether the game was rubbish or not, they go because they had a good laugh with their mates, out of the way of their parents.

Now back to those lads. They have more reasons not to go to Withers on a Friday evening. They have PlayStations, X Boxes, TV's in their bedrooms, mobile phones, and the internet. Things that keep them away form going out, let alone going to football. They have been a revelation this season, and we need people like them to carry on supporting the club.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Really US? I thought that fans were not attending due to

1. Poor performances on the pitch
2. Poor facilities off the pitch
3. High prices during a recession

....but if you say it is down to NSC, then that's your perogative.

You didn't read it El Pres. The fans are bein driven away by a complete lack of ambition on the pitch and the lowest common denominator that as we came 23rd in the 4th division 2 seasons running anything better than that is a blessing and the fans should be happy with it and just shut up.

We know the reasons why we are not investing but lack of investment got us relegated from the Championship and has had us languishing in the 3rd division for 3 years watching truely woeful football from us and the teams we play.

As I said we know the reasons but people have lost interest and life long fans have said enough is enough after 11 years at Withdean. We may get them back when we get to Falmer but there is NO guarantee that will happen as people will have found other things to do and have no affiliation with BHAFC. I for right or wrong am very UNHAPPY with 20th in division 3 which if you look at the table could be 23rd come the end of the year.

Ban fan ?. I don't think so I just have greater ambitions for BHAFC than that as I said in my earlier post.

Just before I signed on to NSC this morning, I was thinking; "I bet there's at least a thread saying that supporters expect too much and are too demanding".

And presto, the first thread I see.

Well, it's nice that some people have time to analyze why people analyze.
Nice.

Well, I must be off. Toodles!

bhadeb

Jan 11, 2008

Will we still be fickle if we are relegated on the back of a season we finished
7th?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Yep thats brilliant - let the Albion be the sole reserve for those who went to Gillingham - things will definitely be on the up with gates of 1000. I think everyone appreciates what the fans did during those years and I agree we need a little perspective with our current position, but we can't begrudge new supporters or as a club we go nowhere.

For the record, I did regularly go to the Goldstone and Gillingham.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here