Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Youngsters

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Our most promising youth players at the moment are probably JFC, Dunk and Agdestein. I've only ever seen the first two play live once, and Toby never, so I'm not that up on how ready they would be for the Championship. What does everyone think? Which of the three can we expect to see pushing for a first team place? Subs bench? Or left to the development squad for another year? I get the impression Gus prefers to keep our players in the development squad rather than loan them out.

Also, where do the lads Sampayo and Rogers fit in? And Bergkamp, will he be in the main squad or one for the future?

My opinion is that Dunk should be hoping to be a regular bencher with considerable first team opportunities, Caskey should mainly be in the DS but getting more first team game time when possible. No idea about Agdestein, or the other three.

I'm guessing a few of you have seen them play more than I have, any thoughts?

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
In my opinion Caskey would technically cope in the championship, but maybe the physical side may be a bit hard for him and the best way to over come that is to give him game time and be patient

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Agree about Caskey. i reckon he's got the most potential out of all our youth squad, but at 17 we shouldn't rush him in too quick. Would like to see him more this year than last year though.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Agree about Caskey. i reckon he's got the most potential out of all our youth squad, but at 17 we shouldn't rush him in too quick. Would like to see him more this year than last year though.

Forster-Caskey is a brilliant prospect for the future. Poor bugger hasn't really had a summer holiday though; and now he's got preaseason - poor lad must be knackered.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Forster-Caskey is a brilliant prospect for the future. Poor bugger hasn't really had a summer holiday though; and now he's got preaseason - poor lad must be knackered.

As Gus said: He is young and we will look after him when he comes back but kids love running at that age and it won't affect him at all!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Just noted a tweet from Caskey that he will be returning to start his pre-season with the club tomorrow (the players have got a day off today)

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
His choice?

only just back from the u-17 world cup and had a day or two rest (which should be enough at his age). He certainly hasn't been overworked although he got some good game time in so is going to be match fit and won't need to do the hard hours that others have to undergo as part of pre-season. I'm sure he would grab a few extra days of R&R if he could but if the youth/development squad have a game at Havant on Saturday and the full first team squad are scheduled to feature on Sunday I'm guessing the club have told him he needs to come in.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I am certain that Dunk will play the League Cup games, and be on / close to bench for league squads. I believe that Gus holds him in VERY high esteem. The lad is absolute quality. Look at how he coped when he came on at St.Mary's after El Abd cut his leg. If anything we were stronger after the switch. Big future.

Forster Caskey will make cup squads too. Whether he gets any league action will depend on how our season goes, I guess.

Agdestein - never seen him, so no idea. Must be be further from the first team than last year though. CMS > Hoskins > Barnes > Bergkamp > Adgestein > Barker. Buckley can also play up front.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
What about Kasim, looked like he could do a job when he came on at Notts Co.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Having watched the reserves (or development team) a few times, I think that all these players have some potential, but nothing that makes me think any of them will get more than an occassional call up to the first team bench. I would be delighted to be proved wrong, but I would be suprised if I am.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I hope we see more of Caskey but with Gus targetting at least one more midfielder seemingly and with Dicker, Bridcutt, Sparrow already here he's a way from the team.
I would have liked to see more of him last season tbh, probably could have done better than Batti ever did. I get the feeling we were trying to keep him grounded and not put him in too much of a spotlight before he'd oficially turned pro.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
I wouldn't be surprised if Dunk starts the season. Bergkamp will surely be first team, playing a Chris Wood role (they're about the same age aren't they?)

Bergkamp is marginally older I think than Chris Wood. But then Agdestein is also older than Wood, I suppose it all depends on Bergkamp's ability and readiness for the Championship. None of us really know yet.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Bergkamp is marginally older I think than Chris Wood. But then Agdestein is also older than Wood, I suppose it all depends on Bergkamp's ability and readiness for the Championship. None of us really know yet.

Fair enough. But Bergkamp has had a season in the Dutch top flight, so I'm sure would object to being classed as 'development squad'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here