Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The World's greatest sportsman off all time

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
looking a championships won, it has to be Phil " The Power " Taylor. Will there ever be anyone better? This afternoon's show down against "Jackpot" Adrian Lewis could be the greatest sporting head to head of all time!!!:guitar:

yeh of course , the greatest sportsman of all time is a darts player , of course.:guitar:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
looking a championships won, it has to be Phil " The Power " Taylor. Will there ever be anyone better? This afternoon's show down against "Jackpot" Adrian Lewis could be the greatest sporting head to head of all time!!!:guitar:

Possibly the World's greatest pub game player of all time. Sport? Nah!

D

Deleted member 18477

Darts is a sport. Is he the greatest sportsman of all time? No. In darts? Yes!

I personally think you can't pinpoint one greatest sportsman due to the difference in the sports people play.

Ali
Pele
Tiger woods
Federer
Taylor

All greats in their sports.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Darts is a sport. Is he the greatest sportsman of all time? No. In darts? Yes!

I personally think you can't pinpoint one greatest sportsman due to the difference in the sports people play.

Ali
Pele
Tiger woods
Federer
Taylor

All greats in their sports.

I do however think we can pinpoint the sport that doesn't rely on a player swilling ten pints of lager during the tournament final.
:cheers:

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Don Bradman.

Never has a sportsman be SO far ahead of his peers.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
i guess it boils down to a individual sport,with no outside help (cars,team mates that sort of thing)

who's won the most gold medals at the olympic games,all on his own? must be the answer

carl lewis someone like that

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
My rule of thumb is is isn't a sport if you don't have to change your shoes to play it.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Overall, its a very tough call as different sports must be taken into account, if I were to split I'd say...

Football - probably Marco van Basten
Cricket - Ian Botham
Tennis - Bjorn Borg/Federal
Motorsport - Ayrton Senna
Darts - Phil Taylor (although technically a game not sport)
Rugby - Jona Lomu
Snooker - Stephen Hendry (again a game not a sport)
Boxing - Calzaghe
Golf - too hard to call but between woods/watson/norman/balesteros

It's too hard to call one generic best but these are my top in each category

To me, a sport is something that involves physical exertion and a need to be fit and skillful, so darts/snooker/golf don't qualify as sports per se,

My opinion anyways, I'm sure there'll be plenty of disagreement :D

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
My rule of thumb is is isn't a sport if you don't have to change your shoes to play it.

Fair point, but my view has been whether you need to spend hours building up physical prowess, technique and athleticism to compete at the highest level...like a swimmer, footballer or sprinter does...if the answer is that you don't then it is a game and not a sport.

As for the greatest of all time, I can't see much beyond Ali, Pele or Senna.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Carl Lewis

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Nice bit of fishing!

Personally I always admired my Uncle Eric who won the Coulsdon Old Comrades Club dominoes championship seven years in a row despite being blind and having to play by feel.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here