Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

THE Withdean is how you refer to our stadium....

D

Deleted User X18H

if you were to tell your Aunt Maud (if you had one) you were going to Withdean she might think you were off to Eldred Ave shops or John Catts house or possibly !!!! Uncle Bucks for tea (I'd get there early) However if you told her you were off to The Withdean, like many locals she would understand you were reffering to a recent change in in locale made in the last seven or so years that describes individually a regenertated part of a Brighton suburb 'THE Withdean' (stadium)

Last edited:

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Sorry but real Brightonians should not refer to Withdean Stadium as THE Withdean. It is a Sky Sports..ism

I didn't win the Dorothy Stringer 1985 School Sports Day 100m at THE Withdean...

(No i didn't - I came 4th but I was pleased with that)

D

Deleted User X18H

The Large One said:
Withdean is both the area AND the *cough* sports complex.
Yes but there is the definition Withdean is a locale THE Withdean a sports stadium in the loosest sense of the phrase... Westdean is the area from Dyke Road down To London Road, Withdean stretches to Patcham Village incoperating Brangwyn et al.

The Large One said:
Yes, yes, yes. But the area on the eastern side of London Road is... oh, never mind.
The EASTERN side of London Road ... precisely. Around Withdean Park, which is most definitely not The Withdean Park.

Hove Bed & Breakfast was talking about Eldred Avenue. That's in Westdene.

Westdean doesn't exist. There's a West Dean near Singleton and another one in the Cuckmere Valley.

Last edited:

D

Deleted User X18H

Istand corrected Westdene not DEAN as in WITH and ROTTING

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Lord Bracknell said:
It was Withdean Stadium when I had to organise the planning application to demolish the old tennis arena.
And we wonder why we never get a SNIFF at Wimbledon.
Lord B - ENEMY of tennis

;)

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
I use both.
Just as Old Shoreham Road could also be The Old Shoreham Road.

I get more wound up by the re-naming of every other pub in B&H that has happened since the recent colonisation of the place.

D

Deleted User X18H

mona said:
I use both.
Just as Old Shoreham Road could also be The Old Shoreham Road.

I get more wound up by the re-naming of every other pub in B&H that has happened since the recent colonisation of the place.
Couldn't agree more thank gawd for the Dyke Road Tavern ,The Brewry Tap and The Hangleton Manor

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here