Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The winner of today's Glenn Murray lottery is ...

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Derby (According to the Sun).

So I make that in the last few weeks Millwall, Palace and now Derby. Its like the papers just pick a championship club and say he is going there, will be glad when its sorted one way or other

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
To be fair, Derby are a big club, 2nd or 3rd average attendances in the Championship, probably around 30k, and a shake up this season will see them a lot more competitive next year you'd think, so would not begrudge Glenn going there

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I think Derby have been linked to him before. They are well supported considering how shit they are, if their manager didn't have the surname he does he'd have been sacked long ago I reckon.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
they are supposed to be after Bridcutt as well

don't think either will happen. I really do expect both players to sign for us even if they have get out clauses.
Interesting thought that if Bennett had a get-out in his contract and had gone to Norwich, would he be potentially better off (in a footballing rather than financial sense) rather than enjoying what he has described as the best experience ever? I guess we will know for sure in a month's time

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
they are supposed to be after Bridcutt as well

don't think either will happen. I really do expect both players to sign for us even if they have get out clauses.
Interesting thought that if Bennett had a get-out in his contract and had gone to Norwich, would he be potentially better off (in a footballing rather than financial sense) rather than enjoying what he has described as the best experience ever? I guess we will know for sure in a month's time

Because of the Bennet situation, I have become a temporary Cardiff fan, our best chance is if Norwich dont get promoted.

Derby is a big club, badly managed. I wouldn't begrudge Muzza a move there, though i hope he stays

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I suppose it all boils down to how much money Murray wants. He is in his prime at 27 and needs to make as much as possible in the next 3 years. Bridcutt and Bennett are younger and still have quite a few years in front of them.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Stories in the press linking our players (& also Gus) are going to be around from now until the contracts are signed and the summer transfer window closes, so I think we'll just have to live with it for a while. I suppose it's a compliment in some ways because we've done so well this season.

It does piss me off when you get all these silly stories when most of the time it's just easy journalism because the media need something to fill the space, but there's bugger all we can do about it, unfortunately.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Could be difficult for Glenn to turn down if its true, you would have thought Derby would be able to offer more wages than us. I guess it boils down to what we can offer Glenn and how much he wants to stay in Brighton.

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
I wonder what is happening with Dicker? Murray seems to be getting linked to a different club every day and Bridcutt is set to sign a new deal but nothing has been mentioned about Dicker for a while. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I now expect Murray to go.

He's going to go for a big money move, and who can blame him. If its a case of a few hundred quid a week, then he's an idiot, but a couple of grand, then good luck to him and thanks for all he's done for us.

The fact that we are not going to break the bank to keep him, probably means Gus isn't too bothered either way. They'll be queing up to join us, and you can bet your bottom dollor that if Murray wasn't our player and looking for the best contract, then we are definately one of the clubs that would be linked to him.

Its his agent playing the field, and I just hope he doesn't push Gus to far, as I can see Gus turning around and telling him to f*** off before the seasons out like he did last season with Cauldron.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
I hope he stays, we will struggle to replace him (style of play) and his goals. for me its a no brainer for the club. Lose him for nothing and have to pay maybe £500k out and high wages for another striker fit for the CHAMPIONSHIP, or give him an extra 5K a week over 3 years, I know what I would do, but hey I trust the club fully and will support whatever decision they make, its just I think he is now double the player he was when Gus took over, looks fitter, shaper and its a genuine goalscorer, his timing and run on Saturday for his goal was fantastic and that is hard to find in a striker.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Could be difficult for Glenn to turn down if its true, you would have thought Derby would be able to offer more wages than us. I guess it boils down to what we can offer Glenn and how much he wants to stay in Brighton.
I would question murrays loyalty anyway although loyalty is rare anyway in football.I reckon we should let him go and move on.This saga has dragged on way to long and its boring now,also i bet murray is becoming greedy big time.

One solid season and he wants the earth i bet:shrug:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The fact that we are not going to break the bank to keep him, probably means Gus isn't too bothered either way. They'll be queing up to join us, and you can bet your bottom dollor that if Murray wasn't our player and looking for the best contract, then we are definately one of the clubs that would be linked to him.
That's why it doesn't make sense to let him go. If he's the kind of player we'd be trying to sign, but he's already here, then make even more effort than we usually would. He's worth more to us than to other teams, as he's already part of the team and believes in the manager. As Gus says, we don't want to change every player, we just want to bring a few in, so it would be better to keep Murray than to replace him with someone of equal quality.

Lose him for nothing and have to pay maybe £500k out and high wages for another striker fit for the CHAMPIONSHIP, or give him an extra 5K a week over 3 years, I know what I would do, but hey I trust the club fully and will support whatever decision they make
Exactly my thoughts on both counts.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Guys, if there is one thing in football that is guaranteed, players (and managers) will come and go. Fact of life and we will lose players this summer. But we will replace them, some will be better, some not live up to their billing. If Murray and/or Bennett go, or Bridcutt for that matter, it matters yes, but only short term til we see our starting 11 next season. And there are fans out there that'll be hurt by us nicking one of their star names. It happens, we aren't going to suddenly become relegation fodder because of transfer market dabblings.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here