Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Verdict from a Variety of Southampton Fans

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Just got back from the game, only one side with any intentions of playing football and they were wearing the sash. Brighton came for a point which is a joke considering they're top of the league. They played nothing but horrible hoof ball which was a pain in the neck and the referee was a bias ****. Clear penalty when that **** Calderon fouled Lallana in the first half then one of their players goes down in the area (clear penalty but not as clear as our shout), thankfully justice was served and Super Kelvin saved it with ease.

They won't be top for long based on that performance.

We were superb again in the first half. Brighton didn't get a look in. Second half they upped it a bit and it was more even. Stupid penalty decision - linesman was conned by whoever it was that dived for it. That game pretty much sums up our season and all that's wrong with it - dominate games but lack the clinical finishing. I'd still rather watch that than the crap Brighton served up.

You Brighton fans may call those tactics 'possession football', but whilst watching your players and the keeper in particular waste time from the kick off with every goal kick, throw in and free kick may mean they're technically 'in possession', I'll be fooked if I'd want to watch that shit week in week out. Way to go Brighton - bore your way to the top zzzzzzzz.

2 points dropped, simple as that.

Brighton came for a draw and got one, negative tactics from the off. If it wasn't for Ankergan it could have been a rout, but we didn't take advantage of our dominence and possession so can't have two many complaints. Brighton defended well when they had too.

Very disappointed in the way their players swan dive at every opportunity. Odd decision not to start Murray, he is far and way your best player, and you only had real attacking threat once he was on. We missed Chaplow tonight.

The DVD machine will be whirring into action at the Withdean...,

Nice to see the Bournemouth fans are still more interested in our result than theirs......

Good point usually, but not on the balance of the game!

Anyway as for the game not that happy with a draw as we deserved all 3 ponits tonite espiaclly from our frist half performance, but then again if it wasnt for Kelvins penalty save, we would off lost, so all in all i accept the point, but we deffo deseved more tonite imo... Brighton came for a draw and got it. They play so slow though, which was very annoying, and try and do these triangle things from the back, but did not work at all in the first half, but second half from them was much better though. I do worry for Brighton to a degree though because i wonder if they have a plan B??? if this slow trinagle pass ball from the back stops working. I think when teams figure this out and get used to it they will begin to suffer. Having said that though they got a draw tonite so fair play to them. I dont think though they ever came for the win from there tactics, so there game plan worked and fair play to them.... Can not see them winning the league though, but if they have a plan b which maybe they do they could well do-and would be deserved to in this case. Brighton are a good team.

Cannot believe we didn't go in 2 up... Brighton showed why they're at the top in the second half, shame we couldn't get a stranglehold in the game in the second half, great save from Kelv kept us in it. Gutted we didn't win, 2 points dropped.

:falmer:

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
I'm a Saints fan and just back from game. Wouldnt quite agree with all of above. Brighton looked menacing at times in the 2nd half. However I would say we deserved the points and it could have been over at half time.

As for our pen appeal in the first half, I couldnt see from where I was but just as Lallana was about to pul the trigger, down he went. Not the sort of player to dive in that situation.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Pull the trigger? Are you on drugs?

Lallana didn't even have the ball when he went down.

(PS I actually thought it MIGHT well have been a pen though :jester:)

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
Pull the trigger? Are you on drugs?

Lallana didn't even have the ball when he went down.

(PS I actually thought it MIGHT well have been a pen though :jester:)

The ball was knocked down to him and he was about to strike. Cant say it was or wasnt but he's the sort of player who would rather attempt to score than go down on purpose.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
You owned us first half,second half i would say we edged it.I thought it was a penalty for you but i also thought ours was a penalty.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The ball was knocked down to him and he was about to strike. Cant say it was or wasnt but he's the sort of player who would rather attempt to score than go down on purpose.

If I'm being honest, he definitely was clipped. The issue is whether it was intentional, or just an accidental 'coming together'. Happily, the ref chose the latter.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's funny how the other team is always negative, boring, slow etc when you fail to beat them?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The other odd thing was, while we were clearly settling for that point, it's almost like Saints were too. Davies wasn't exactly hurrying the game up for them: I was amazed at how much he was fannying about with a couple of goal kicks in injury time: I couldn't believe he wasn't getting it forward and trying to nick the game. Same with a late corner they had: no rush, just arse about.

They say we settled for it (no denying it from me, I was happy with the result), but I'm not so sure the Saints weren't told the same by their manager.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Saints fans are dreaming if they think that was a penalty. I know the ref was giving pretty much anything they shouted for, but even he couldn't give that.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It must be REALLY annoying for them tonight, given how crap we were for much of that game (more so the first half) and still they fail to beat us :lolol:

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
I don't think I can remember a first half where a team has dominated us more than that. How we came in level was a miracle.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Great performance in the second half. It seemed to me that Southampton tried to hit us with all their biggest shots in the first 35 minutes, but we managed to soak them up then came on strong after the break and showed why we're top as Saints ran out of steam.

For me, without their expensive attackers, Southampton look nothing special at all. Considering Albion are missing two very influential midfielders, one extremely good young one, an excellent winger and lost our most committed defender before half-time, I'd chalk that up as a point that shows we're the real deal.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Great performance in the second half. It seemed to me that Southampton tried to hit us with all their biggest shots in the first 35 minutes, but we managed to soak them up then came on strong after the break and showed why we're top as Saints ran out of steam.

For me, without their expensive attackers, Southampton look nothing special at all. Considering Albion are missing two very influential midfielders, one extremely good young one, an excellent winger and lost our most committed defender before half-time, I'd chalk that up as a point that shows we're the real deal.

Totaly agree, defence was very good tonight they never realy had the killer ball for all their energy

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I'd be amazed if Southampton don't get automatic promotion - they absolutely steam-rollered us in the first half, and weaker sides would have capitulated. Thankfully we didn't (with a little luck), and then finally clicked into action after about an hour. Thought Lalana was excellent, and Barnard, although a pr*ck, was a constant menace. Southampton play some good one-touch stuff at times, but rely an awful lot on the physical side - man for man they were bigger than us all over the field, and used their size to good effect. Interesting how some of the Saints fans got bored with our passing game!

As for the penalties, both incidents were touch and go - the Southampton one I wasn't surprised the ref didn't give it - the guy went over far too easily. But I thought Glen went down a little easily too.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
"I think they've had mostly home games so far and not played anyone decent yet. When they come up against the likes of Charlton, Peterborough or Sheffield Weds, they'll struggle."

Comment heard at Winchester station this evening....

BHABen

Jan 12, 2010
Quite simply southampton battered us first half, however you have to take your chances. However on the last 30-35 mins we came into the game and could have nicked it.
However my dissapointment for the night was some tosser yes f***ing tosser threw a glass bottle into the brighton fans when the penalty was saved, it landed approx 3 feet from my 8 year old son, i hope whoever was responsible is knocked spark out in the very near future.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I sat with a few Saints fans and you can't argue with some of the comments. They battered us second half and Batti was shown up. However second half and particularly once Murray came on we looked the side most likely to score. They ran out of ideas and were just lumping it forward.

As one Saints fan said, we were the best team defensively he has seen this season, and could easily have snatched it. He thought we looked a good prospect for promotion.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
We are the best team in the league, we were away from home and we drew 0-0. We will win this league.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
We weren't at the races in the first half but were much better in the second. For all that, Southampton didn't have that many great chances though.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Best peformance we've had this year. Why? Because to play that SHIT and still not go down takes some doing. WE're missing Elphick, Bridcutt, Sparrow and Lua Lua so thats 4 first teamers out (yes i know greer and Bridcutt aren't solid but no players this season are solid first teamers, they're all roughly equal with rotation - so they are first team players you wouldn't be surprised getting a run of starts), we've had a bad run of form and they had some very good attack. We simply had to defend more than they did in the first half. We did not come for a draw IMO although as the game was played we had to settle.

Lua Lua? f*** that, Glenn Murray is our best player. We're a different team with Lua Lua, but we're a different CLUB with Murray. He just rapes defenders, in the air he is fantastic. I want his babies he's so damn good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here