Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The toys you REALLY wanted to own

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Fascinating website. Brings back soooo many memories...
http://tv.cream.org/extras/toys/index.html

Number 98: Test Match cricket
tmtchcric.jpg

Number 91: Electronic Project/Chemistry set
eleckit.jpg

Number 82: Magic Robot
magicrobot.jpg

Number 73: Tank Command
tankcom.jpg

Number 72: Stylophone
stylophone.jpg

Number 68: Perfection
perfection.jpg

Number 44: Dungeons & Dragons
dungeons.jpg

Number 23: Speak And Spell
speaknspell.jpg

Number 14: Paul Daniels' TV Magic Tricks
paul.jpg

Number 12: Subbuteo
subbuteo.jpg

Number 7: Big Trak
bigtrak.jpg

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
i had that magic robot kin hell thats cleaned away a few cobwebs :eek:

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
f*** man I had totally forgotten that classic cricket game, and that electronic project type thing too. I remember a series of complex wiring operations it was necessary to undertake in order to light a solitary LED - and this was FASCINATING!!!

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
I had test match cricket and tank command. San Andreas pah.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Downloaded Penguin said:
Fascinating website. Brings back soooo many memories...
http://tv.cream.org/extras/toys/index.html

Number 98: Test Match cricket
tmtchcric.jpg

If you flicked the bowler's arm quick enough you could deliver a West Indian style bouncer and smash the wicket half way down the pitch. However, get it wrong and a Devon Malcolm style wide whould go hurtling through the air and flying underneath the living room's most inaccessible piece of furniture. Great days.

ShorehamGull

He's now back
Jul 6, 2003
Shoreham of course
I had Test Match, Tank Commando, and Perfection, I seem to remember having speak and spell at some point. I still have Subbuteo.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Tommy Cook reporting said:
Sorry, can't be bothered to check that site, so can you tell me whether Tin Pan Alley is in there?
Number 25: Tin Can Alley
tincanalley.jpg

Electronic hillbilly outfit
Ideal's Tin Can Alley reeked of the trans-Atlantically exotic. Everything about it was 100% American and alien to these shores. Rifles were still largely the preserve of farmers and the SAS, and rugged, homesteading types like the game's TV patron, Chuck Connors, were similarly absent from your average Kettering cul-de-sac. As, indeed, were the "targets" in the game - empty cans of that nefarious industrial sealant that got lucky, Dr Pepper, a brew so intrinsically bound to the States that even one of the mightiest multinationals in the world still hasn't persuaded anyone else to drink the stuff. The game itself is a simple affair. A sawn-off plastic gun containing about ninety batteries fired a beam of red light at light-sensitive pads in holes on a plastic representation of the top of a rickety fence, which then flipped up little platforms upon which were balanced said tin cans. Of course, the advertising wisely omitted the mundane mechanical explanation, so impressionable kids did, for a brief while, really believe that a toy company was selling a high tech James bond-style laser weapon as a children's toy - a misconception that Ideal would not be the last company to exploit. A Colt 45-style handgun edition was also launched, though purists prefer the original "Rifleman" version. The inevitable copies abounded, such as Marksman, which featured an owl-shaped target that made a noise and lit up when you hit it - not the same, really. And the awkward side-effect of training a generation of would-be soldiers to always aim three inches below the target might explain why Western coalitions take so long to finish wars these days.

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
Wow, it's like stepping back into the last day of term all over again...

Test Match Cricket was immense. Well, at least in the days before Howzat! on my Spectrum 128k anyway.
Or before I discovered the card game Armchair Cricket. Many happy holidays in Wales just flew by as I simulated cricket games while developing my skills as a scorer...
"Dot ball... dot ball... dot ball... dot ball... wicket... dot ball... wicket maiden!" etc etc etc...

Mind you, as for my FAVOURITE toy...
Well...
It went ZIP! when it moved,
And BOP! when it stopped,
And WHIRRRRR! when it stood still,
I never knew just what it was,
And I guess I never will...

ShorehamGull

He's now back
Jul 6, 2003
Shoreham of course
Just actually looked at the site, lots of games on there I have and probably still have somewhere. I think they are a box in the loft.
Brings back memories

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
SussexSpur said:

Mind you, as for my FAVOURITE toy...
Well...
It went ZIP! when it moved,
And BOP! when it stopped,
And WHIRRRRR! when it stood still,
I never knew just what it was,
And I guess I never will...

:lolol:

I've just started singing that :lolol:

aaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrahhhhhhhhhhhhh

subs, subutteo cricket, the stylophone, viewmaster, kerplunk.....
and mouse trap that was a classic rolled out on all great occasions, and silly putty.........and slime wow my mum hated that..............and we loved escaledo, with the folks putting top bets on,

and top trumps though the formula 1 set was total pants,

boy aren't modern day kids deprived

LC

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Still got my Test Match cricket somewhere, brilliant game. The fielders would catch the little ball-bearing in their legs. Got a scoreboard for mine, too.

Subbuteo got crushed years ago by too many big feet, though I had the Albion FA-Cup team which was well cool.

And Speak & Spell, completely forgot about that!

Anyone on here still got Computer Battleships (the electronic version)?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
One of our favourite toys was a beautifully crafted, wooden 'Nine Mens Morris' game.

But our greatest childhood pleasure was the freedom to 'go out and play' often for hours on end.

Kids today don't know what they are missing. :nono:

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
caz99 said:
um bit to young to remember any of those.

:lolol: Gosh don't I feel old!

virgirlo

Jun 2, 2004
London
i recently found my 'Get in Shape Girl' ribbons and rhythm cassette and bangle bops!!!

was never allowed the Poochy Dog though!
:(

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
eastlondonseagull said:

Anyone on here still got Computer Battleships (the electronic version)?

I have its in the loft, although I don't think it still works

I can remember it took ages to punch in the co-ordinates of your ships and when you eventually got it right there was the satisfying whoop whoop sound

Gullet

Feb 8, 2004
Bevendean
Mastermind (nothing to do with the tv series of the same name) was a bleeding brilliant game. Really hard but once hooked it wouldn't let you go. On it's launch it won game of the year, and deservedly so. I think you can still get it today. As usual all the best toys stand the test of time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here