Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Sun on Sunday

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Let's see if the population are to be proud of or ashamed of?

We all know how people should react to both The Sun and any associated Sunday version. Come on people, you know what to do.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I'd love it if this was the downfall of the tabloids, that they all went to the wall and all the bum-crack-tastic builders had to sit in the greasy spoons in the morning with broadsheets stretched out across the tables.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I'd love it if this was the downfall of the tabloids, that they all went to the wall and all the bum-crack-tastic builders had to sit in the greasy spoons in the morning with broadsheets stretched out across the tables.

They don't have to be broadsheets, just papers that have actual NEWS and not some daily celebrity obsession. I honestly couldn't give a shite who Cheryl Cole is sleeping with, and that goes for all of them, I'm not picking on her.

I think it's probably a good time to dig up this old beauty from Fry and Laurie.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Is anyone remotely suprised that the organisation is going to fill the gap with another paper? Millions of people read these types of papers, and thet is not going to stop, the Sun on Sunday will no doubt be a success, no-one is going to stop it happening if NI want it to.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.

:lolol::lolol::lolol::thumbsup:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Is anyone remotely suprised that the organisation is going to fill the gap with another paper? Millions of people read these types of papers, and thet is not going to stop, the Sun on Sunday will no doubt be a success, no-one is going to stop it happening if NI want it to.

Indeed - the mindless morons who read this shite will still buy the new one ... just put a red banner across the top and they won't know the difference. It was Murdochs plan all alogn to merge the two, this has just forced his hand.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
They need to be v careful, if they launch too soon, it will draw the sun into the controversy by association & get some to stop buying midweek

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Part of me suspects it was also an excuse to save some money, get rid of the NotW, lose a chunk of wages and offices and so on.

Newspapers are dying anyway

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
I did a bit of fishing myself and found this

WebCHeck - Select and Access Company Information

The Sun on Sunday Ltd was incorporated today. Now I dont know if its someone just nabbing the name in the hope Murdoch will pay a fee for it (like I looked at doing with the domain names) or if it is someone on behalf of News International. If it was NI I would have thought they would have registered this before the news broke to stop someone stealing the name but who knows

edit, just looked into the address and its a private house so looks like a company name squatter

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Isn't NOTW basically the Sun on Sunday anyway

Yep. It's not as if The Sun has a moral code, or level of decency about it's reporting that set it apart from the NOTW.

Hillsborough_disaster_Sun.jpg

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I suspect a depressingly large number of people will buy and encourage these bastards to carry on business as usual. Maybe we do get the press we deserve.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

I wouldn't. That's like saying we should only have BBC2 and not ITV so that people couldn't watch Corrie and reality TV shows and would be forced to open their minds to arts and history programmes instead (and Newsnight Review,where they'll hear some of the most pretentious and ignorant shite on the box).

Seriously, although we could do without the xenophobia and sexism of some tabloids, the plurality of the press is to be valued, especially in sport - where many tabloid writers such as Oliver Holt, Neil Ashton and Martin Lipton easily outshine some of the dimwits and ignoramuses who write for broadsheets (including one former Olympian who recently won an award despite a breathaking lack of insight into most sports).

As a former News International employee with plenty of contacts inside the company, I can tell you that the plan for a Sun on Sunday isn't new - only the name is. They've been thinking about a seven-day operation with the Screws merging with the Currant for a while now, to save money on the doubling-up of staff. The Guardian/Observer have already copied the Telegraph by removing staffing boundaries, making Observer staff redundant and saving lots of money - although not enough.

It was always said while I was at The Times that the Thunderer and Sunday Times would be the last papers to stay separate, but they've just announced a single managing editor for the two papers. The conclusion is obvious.

However, a senior production man at The Sun doesn't think it will be possible to sort all the new shift arrangements until there has been at least a 90-day consultation period. Murdoch has overridden systems before, of course, and I think that in the end the key calculation about when to launch the new title will depend on the amount the NOTW was going to lose anyway through the withdrawal of advertising and the revenue that will go to rival publications between the end of the NOTW and the launch of the new Sun on Sun.

One other thing: why do the TV companies insist on filming outside the entrance to the old Wapping plant, when all the papers moved across the road to a shiny white building at Thomas More Square last year?

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Part of me suspects it was also an excuse to save some money, get rid of the NotW, lose a chunk of wages and offices and so on.

Newspapers are dying anyway

That view was expressed on the radio today basically that it was stopped to ensure they get the TV buy out they want and at the same time save money on production costs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here