Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The start of a game loud music and pom pom girls

Feb 14, 2010
No offence to Gullys Girls but I think the start of a game has lost something with clubs getting pom pom girls and loud music.

I used to like the players running on the pitch,, the clapping the keepers and then the fans building a genuine atmosphere by singing at each other. Now its all loud music and some teenage girls with pom poms. Its just a bit naff.

I agree the pom pom girls have a place, maybe in front of the family stand with the kids but not taking centre stage. The worst thing tho is that blasted loud music that drowns out the pre match banter between fans. In my opinion like.

Anyone else agree? And if there support for this view (especially the loud music drowning out fans) then maybe the club might have a look at it.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
my missus thinks it's great .......................... right up to the point the football starts - then she gets a bit bored

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
It's worse at other grounds at least at the Amex they play footie themed songs went to Birmingham with the Albion this year no atmos got started before game just got drowned out by shit songs blaring out right up until kick off .

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
The atmosphere at The Amex is excellent and would be worse without the Fanzone build-up - can't wait to get back there.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
for me, fanzone is one of the great bits about Amex matchdays. The sight of hundreds of kids jumping up and down, singing along in their replica shirts (mainly green and black it seems!) just makes the whole football experience seem worthwhile.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
As much as I thought the Fanzone would be crap it is actually very good and gets the atmosphere going.

Last edited:

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
To be honest I think it's a bit of a myth this pre-match atmosphere and banter between fans. Since I've been going to football (late 80s) pop music has been piped around the ground through the PA system and no chanting can be heard anyway.

As long as fan zone doesn't encroach into game time, I have no problem with it.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Kids love it, I sadly quite enjoy it and it gets everyone in the right mood. As someone said earlier if you don't like it stay in the concourse and have an extra pint.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
The atmosphere at The Amex is excellent and would be worse without the Fanzone build-up - can't wait to get back there.

Agree , I think the whole Amex experience is spot on the games changed since 70s 80s (much more family orientated ) and I think what we've got in terms of entertainment & atmosphere at the Amex is second to none

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Used to be quite nice at Withdean to time your run to perfection from the Brewery Tap and arrive in your seat bang on kick-off, thereby swerving all the dopey bullshit. A Tad trickier nowadays. Try and judge your last pint and run from the concourse and you're suddenly stuck in a hundred yard long queue for the bogs.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Let's get back to the days of 6 blokes carrying a blanket around the pitch while everyone chucks shrapnel at them as hard as they can, with a dozen Boys Brigade lads picking up the misses.

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
Love fanzone part of the AMEX matchday, myself - especially after a few beers. Hope the club don't 'have a look at it'. :drink:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I also love fanzone. I am also old enough to remember the girls dancing troops prancing about on the hallowed turf of the Goldstone. Strange to think the objects of my teenage desires are now about 50!

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
You don't get the build up between the two sets of fans now stadia are all seated and a large percentage of the crowd take their seats a few minutes before kick off.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
No offence to Gullys Girls but I think the start of a game has lost something with clubs getting pom pom girls and loud music.

I used to like the players running on the pitch,, the clapping the keepers and then the fans building a genuine atmosphere by singing at each other. Now its all loud music and some teenage girls with pom poms. Its just a bit naff.

I agree the pom pom girls have a place, maybe in front of the family stand with the kids but not taking centre stage. The worst thing tho is that blasted loud music that drowns out the pre match banter between fans. In my opinion like.

Anyone else agree? And if there support for this view (especially the loud music drowning out fans) then maybe the club might have a look at it.

It's 5-10 minutes of an afternoon, and takes places before the main event, the reason you are at the Amex. I'd say, like others have, stay in the concourse, or just get over it.

I don't like having to wait 15 minutes in between halves but I don't lose any sleep about it...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here