Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Squad numbers

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
In answer to the question on ATC, these are the squad numbers. The only one I don't agree with, is Dicker changing to #16, because he's still been wearing #18, so I think it's a mistake. But it seems right other than that.

1. Peter Brezovan
2. Andrew Whing
3. Gordon Greer
4. Tommy Elphick
5. Agustin Battipiedi
6. Adam El-Abd
7. Elliott Bennett
8. Alan Navarro
9. Ashley Barnes
10. Matthew Sparrow
11. Cristian Baz
12. Radostin Kishishev
13. Mitch Walker
14. Inigo Calderon
15. Gary Hart
16. Gary Dicker
17. Glenn Murray
19. Michael Poke
20. Chris Holroyd
22. Marcos Painter
24. Jamie Smith

FootballSquads - Brighton Hove Albion - 2010/11

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
I don't agree with Battipiedi being #5. The #5 shirt is for a no shit taking, 7ft, take no prisoners CB.

Tomnorthi

Jan 2, 2010
BN15
These confirmed by the club? Cause I dont want to order my shirt and it be wrong.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
isn't Kisichev (so badly spelt) No 2? Swear the pics show him wearing 2 in the games

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
These confirmed by the club? Cause I dont want to order my shirt and it be wrong.

These are the numbers that have been submitted to the FA preliminary, but they can change up to the first league game of the season, and if a player isn't involved (Greer and Murray, for example), they can be changed after the first game. But it's unlikely. The only one I wouldn't be too confident about is Dicker, the rest of them all have those numbers on their traning tops and have been wearing them during matches.

As for Battipiedi wearing #5, it's an Argentine tradition. Like Brazilian left backs always wearing #6, that's just something they do over there, like the #5 being the holding midfield player in Argentina. Fernando Gago wears #5 for Real Madrid (you'd be forgiven not knowing that, considering he never plays!), for example. It's a cultural thing. I'm not sure why Whing still has the #2, and I'm not sure why Calderon elected to have #14.. but it might be a superstition thing. If Whing leaves, I wouldn't be suprised if Kishishev takes the #2.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
This seems about right too if you check the numbers they've been wearing on their training gear

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
isn't Kisichev (so badly spelt) No 2? Swear the pics show him wearing 2 in the games

I thought I spotted him wearing #2 aswell, but the picture wasn't clear enough to see really. As I said in my above post, he could well change to #2 if Whing leaves, but it seems that at the moment he has the #12.

Squad numbers are quite volatile. Matthew Etherington changed his from #12 to #11 on the eve of the first game of the season a few years back, when West Ham got back into the Premier League. This season, Robin Van Persie has moved from #11 to #10 at Arsenal, which will annoy a LOT of fans with his name on their shirt!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
what is the point of keeping Whing at number 2?! Surely that should be Calderon or Painter's number?
Not that it matters..

I'm not sure either. I thought it would be a given that Calderon would take the #2, but there might be a reason why he hasn't. Maybe it's his lucky number, like Murray's is 17? He wore it at Rochdale before coming here, and he's stuck with it. I would have thought Painter would take the #3, but there you go. Not sure why Greer has it, it doesn't seem right for a centre back to be wearing #3. Gerard Pique wears #3 for Barcelona and Spain though, maybe that's got something to do with it?

Call me a boring old sod, but I do like this time of year, for squad number releases!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I see #25 is still vacant, presumably for our 25 goal striker to fill when he arrives.

Gav1901

Banned
May 14, 2008
Southwick
maybe Greer wanted No 3

Or Painter did.

These are the numbers i'd have

1- Brezovan
2- Calderon
3- Painter
4- Elphick
5- Greer