Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The seperation of the First team squad, the development squad AND the reserve team

ifightbears

Jul 19, 2010
Cornwall
Just to make it clearer in my mind of this slightly fantastic but also slightly crazy idea by poyet.

FIRST TEAM SQUAD

Ankergren
Brezovan

Calderon
Vincelot

Dunk
Greer
El-abd
Elphick

Painter
Tarrico

Bridcutt
Navaro
Dicker
Sparrow
Harley

Vicente
Lua-lua
Noone
Buckley

Barnes
CMS
Hoskins

DEVELOPMENT SQUAD

Poke

Strong
Hall
Branco
Cook
Sampayo

Kasim
Smith
Simmonds
Forster-Caskey
Rodgers

Barker
Agdestein

RESERVES

Walker
East

Sheriff
Redwood

Woodley
Vickers

Berkamp?

.......... How exactly is this development squad and reserve team squad classification made? Also do the development squad just play as many random friendlys they can get along with the reserve team games?

Last edited:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I've heard of all the players you mention in the Development Squad, but never heard of these before:

Sheriff
Redwood
Woodley
Vickers

who are they and what is the point of them if the likes of Cook, Forster-Caskey and Barker are ahead of them in the pecking order?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I've heard of all the players you mention in the Development Squad, but never heard of these before:

Sheriff
Redwood
Woodley
Vickers

who are they and what is the point of them if the likes of Cook, Forster-Caskey and Barker are ahead of them in the pecking order?

Tom Vickers and Jordon Woodley are under 18 players who are stepping into the development squad, so they are actually doing pretty well.

for the record, the unders 18s have won 5 games in a row since, Steve Brown was disposed of, apprently they play very similer to the first team as well. :clap2:

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
As I understood, the reserve team squad plays the reserve fixtures, and is supplemented by the development dquad where necessary whilst the development squad will be playing against arranged fixtures versus other development squads or othr suitable fixtures as they are made available.

In practice I'm not so sure...

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I'm not sure it's a crazy idea. They all have different learning requirements - consider it as primary school, secondary school and University. I'm sure the development squad will be given the opportunity to learn from the professors of the first team from time to time.

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009

Sheriff
Redwood
Woodley
Vickers

Leon Redwood - promising young left-back very much in the Keiran Gibbs mould. Saw him play and score against Lewes in the Sussex Senior Cup last season and he looked pretty useful then.

Is he good enough to make the step up though given how strong our first team squad is now? Hmm, not so sure.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The Reserves ought to be in a better League?

ifightbears

Jul 19, 2010
Cornwall
The top division for reserve teams of professional clubs is the Premier Reserve League, which was founded in 1999 and is split into Premier Reseve League North and Premier Reserve League South, both with ten participating teams.

Beneath that operate the Central League for Football League clubs reserve teams in the Midlands and North of England, and the Football Combination for clubs from the South of England and Wales

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here