Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Rum Diary

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Hunter S Thompson had SERIOUS problems getting anybody interested in publishing that book. Took him DECADES. The film sounds very much like a Johnny Depp vanity project. Think I'll give it a miss.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Was curious about this. Will probably buy on DVD.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Was reading about this the other day.

Bruce Robinson wrote the screenplay, Johnny Depp literally BEGGED him to get involved. Apparantly Bruce has said there is only one bit of dialogue from the book in the film.

Therefore it appears THPP is correct.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Was reading about this the other day.

Bruce Robinson wrote the screenplay, Johnny Depp literally BEGGED him to get involved. Apparantly Bruce has said there is only one bit of dialogue from the book in the film.

Therefore it appears THPP is correct.

A mate of mine who is a huge fan of Hunter liked it, so that is enough of a recommendation for me, I'll be going to see it.

The story of Hunter trying to finish the book and get it published is pretty funny though. I recommend reading his books of letters to read him continually ranting about his inability to get the damn thing finished.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Saw this the other day. One of the worst films I have ever seen. No story line what so ever.

Agree about the woman though, she is very close to perfect.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Without Johnny Depp in the leading role this would have been a film that wouldn't have got a major stateside theatrical release unless it was picked up by the independent distributors and outside of the US released straight onto DVD.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Saw this the other day. One of the worst films I have ever seen. No story line what so ever.

Self centred, drunken journo/novelist gets job in impoverished Central American country and, after being courted by US industrialists bent on exploiting both the natives and vacation possibilities of said country, finds his true-self by falling in love with the main man's missus and exposing (almost) the 'bastards'. All whilst getting really pissed and stoned.

Randsta

Aug 8, 2011
Eastbourne
Self centred, drunken journo/novelist gets job in impoverished Central American country and, after being courted by US industrialists bent on exploiting both the natives and vacation possibilities of said country, finds his true-self by falling in love with the main man's missus and exposing (almost) the 'bastards'. All whilst getting really pissed and stoned.

Sounds good to me like fear and loathing

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Saw it last weekend. Some funny moments - most of which are in the trailer. I may have missed the point (seminal time in history etc etc) but thought it was just average. Would recommend you watch it on TV/DVD but couldn't say rush out with your tenner to see this unless you're a Jonny Depp fan. Not disappointed but not raving about it either.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Read the book a few years ago and found it a lot more accessable than any other Hunter Thompson stuff, enjoyed it actually. I will see the film but have heard very mixed to poor reviews. Shame.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here