Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The return of Third Class train travel?

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
Time for all you plebs & ruffians to know your place in society! Second class travel is way above your..erm, station. After Gideons humiliating experience, where he had to slum it in second class for a portion of his journey, there clearly needs to be some distance between the elite & riff raff.

Third class train travel could return for first time since 1950s - Mirror Online

RMT - GOVERNMENT REFUSE TO RULE OUT RETURN TO THIRD CLASS RAIL

81103211334883.jpg

Attachments

• overcrowded_train.jpg
    overcrowded_train.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 102

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
If I knew I was going to stand all the way to London, I would gladly pay a reduced fare. Good idea I reckon.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
On my normal train, many people getting on at Hove in the morning stand to London (for £4k p/y), why would they reduce it ?

They'll probably just increase the price for seats. f***ing thieves if you ask me.

centurion40

Sep 8, 2012
won't affect me, I spend the journey in the toilet, if I'm travelling on a shit rail service that can't even get me to Falmer on boxing day I may as well sit amongst the shit :lolol:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Anyone that is forced to stand for their whole commute should be entitled to some money back.
Equally, anyone that thinks the seat next to them is a personal luggage rack should be forced to pay double.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
On my normal train, many people getting on at Hove in the morning stand to London (for £4k p/y), why would they reduce it ?

True - was hoping they would reduce it out of kindness more than anything.....

Gave up commuting a few years ago. Not sure how anyone does it for a prolonged period of time any more, I found it soul destroying.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If I knew I was going to stand all the way to London, I would gladly pay a reduced fare. Good idea I reckon.

That isn't the idea , third class is what you are already experiencing and the prices will continue to rise , second class will allow the privilege of a reserved seat at additional cost.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Hi Tricky, Hope your well.

& by the time the train gets to Preston Park the wife has to cling to the side like the photo above..

absolutely shocking service and I have the utmost respect for anyone who has to do that trip day in, day out, day in, day out for bloody years.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
True - was hoping they would reduce it out of kindness more than anything.....

Gave up commuting a few years ago. Not sure how anyone does it for a prolonged period of time any more, I found it soul destroying.

I've done it for 24 years, and as long as the trains are running and reasonably on time, it doesn't bother me at all. In fact, because of it, I do several things I wouldn't normally do, e.g. book reading, newspapers, talking to people I only know through commuting, have taught myself French etc. Besides, I couldn't get a job locally and wouldn't want to live in London, so, no choice.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Hi Tricky, Hope your well.

& by the time the train gets to Preston Park the wife has to cling to the side like the photo above..

absolutely shocking service and I have the utmost respect for anyone who has to do that trip day in, day out, day in, day out for bloody years.

Not too bad thanks sir. I'll send you a mail.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
I've done it for 24 years, and as long as the trains are running and reasonably on time, it doesn't bother me at all. In fact, because of it, I do several things I wouldn't normally do, e.g. book reading, newspapers, talking to people I only know through commuting, have taught myself French etc. Besides, I couldn't get a job locally and wouldn't want to live in London, so, no choice.

All power to you.

I agree about the free time aspect. I just found myself doing more work purely because i had my laptop/blackberry on me on the way home. I used to sleep all the way up on the 0631 from Hove - LB.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
All power to you.

I agree about the free time aspect. I just found myself doing more work purely because i had my laptop/blackberry on me on the way home. I used to sleep all the way up on the 0631 from Hove - LB.

That is my train, and yes, in the mornings, I tend to sleep after Haywards Heath.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
They have third class on scheduled flights & nobody complains?

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
Return of?
Bring this subject up with the poor commuter who pays £thousands annually to stand all the way to the capital in overcrowded, poorly designed carriages and they'll tell you 3rd class never disappeared in the first place

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would think in most cases people would pay a reduced fare eg 50% and stand all the way. My sons went to Wolves on Saturday and should have stood all the way but him and his mates sat in first class and when the jumper arrived she charged them £10 each extra. They would willingly have agreed to stand for a fare less than the £48 they paid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here