Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The referee

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
GILLINGHAM boss Mark Stimson will file a complaint about the match officials at Brighton on Tuesday night after slamming their performance.

Stimson felt that referee Mick Thorpe and his two assistants Ian Bentley and Will Bull played a key role as the Gills dropped back into the League 1 relegation zone after losing 4-2 at Brighton.

Defenders Garry Richards and Sean Clohessy both saw red as the Gills finished the game with nine men.

"We got beat by somebody who made some big decisions, and made the wrong decisions," said Stimson.

"I’ve got to now sit down with the secretary and write a five or six-page report. I don’t want to do it but I’ve got to and hopefully the people above will read it, have a look at the video and his (Thorpe’s) performance, because it’s just not good enough.

"I’ve been frustrated at a few games this season but nowhere as much as that one."

The Gillingham manager quizzed the linesman during the match and was shocked with the answer he received.

Stimson said: "I asked the linesman if he had watched the games over the weekend and he told me he hadn’t watched any. I’m a manager and I watch every game of football possible to try and learn from people.

"If you’re an official surely you must do the same. He actually admitted to me he hadn’t watched any football at the weekend. That is the type of people we’re dealing with.

"I know it’s a fast and furious game and they can’t get every decision right, but when people like that admit to you that they are not watching football matches what chance have we got? I only learn from my peers at the top who I want to be like and I’m sure officials should do exactly the same."

Welcome to Kent Online

Seems a bit strange, must be hard to take having a red and a penalty in such quick succession but both decisions were surely correct? Two footed tackle and an obvious pull (and if it hadn't been given we'd have had the goal?).

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I think the first red was harsh, but the ref obviously had to make a quick decision.

The second red was just comical. I know the bloke had a booking already, but he was disadvantaging his own team by booting the ball away after the whistle at 4-2 down. Think the ref could have shown a little bit of commonsense and just gave the guy a talking to.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think the first red was harsh, but the ref obviously had to make a quick decision.

The second red was just comical. I know the bloke had a booking already, but he was disadvantaging his own team by booting the ball away after the whistle at 4-2 down. Think the ref could have shown a little bit of commonsense and just gave the guy a talking to.

The ref had just given him a huge reprieve when he went right through Forster in front of the North Stand,, with the worst challenge of the game. He wasn't going to give him another chance.

And the yellow for kicking the ball away was no more harsh that Whing's for lining the wall up, and nobody is complaining about that one.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Not sure why he's having a go at the lino. I didn't see either of them do anything wrong. He's probably pissed at the one that gave the penalty, but as Murray was practically have his shirt ripped off he can't have any complaints.

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton

To be fair to the ref, it was a bookable offense and therefore a yellow card. The fact that he was already booked makes no difference, in fact it makes the player even more of a twat for what he did.

Yellow Card >> Red Card, and rightly so!

Think he'd already done that for the foul on Forster that got him his first booking. It's a matter of opinion whether the second incident was dissent (I though it was) but once the ref had come to the that conclusion I don't see how he had any choice but to book him.
Thought the tackle on Martot looked two-footed and dangerous but didn't have a completely clear view from B block. Again, if the ref sees it like that then you're off to put the kettle on.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
The ref had just given him a huge reprieve when he went right through Forster in front of the North Stand,, with the worst challenge of the game. He wasn't going to give him another chance.

And the yellow for kicking the ball away was no more harsh that Whing's for lining the wall up, and nobody is complaining about that one.

I loved that second sending-off - it was a fantastically cretinous SLICE of behavior from that Gillingham dunce. As if kicking the ball away in a big flouncy HUFF when you're losing isn't stupid enough as it is, to do it when you've just been booked. The ref wasn't that bent, whereas Gillingham players are clearly just f***ing THICK.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

Fair point. I didn't realise it was the same guy.

Didn't see Whing get a card last night??? Or did that happen in a previous match?

Edit: Ah I thought it was Fraser! (bright1064)

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
That booking (of Fraser's) was very stupid and picky of the ref, to be fair. But I'm not complaining.

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
I was thinking the ref had a poor game(not from out point of view obviously) but looking back on it he did get everything right by the laws of the game. (not sure about the straight red as I couldn't see much from block V) Not sure what all that bollocks from Stimson is about the lino watching matches. As fm would say, I think hes just bitter.

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
Talking of huffs - the Gillingham No 36 (long hair, head band) was really good all game yesterday - but didn't he have a hissy fit every time a decision went against him.

He was one of their brightest players by a long way. He even hit the bar from a free kick as well.

But yeah, he was moaning at the ref for the entire 90 mins.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Thought the tackle on Martot looked two-footed and dangerous but didn't have a completely clear view from B block. Again, if the ref sees it like that then you're off to put the kettle on.
I was in C Block and thought the tackle looked a bad one as well, though I'll have another look on Soccer Night as most of those around me thought the red was a bit harsh. I think what caught most people out is that it was so out of keeping with the game up to that point.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here