Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Red Arrows are too British

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
The world-famous Red Arrows have been banned from appearing at the 2012 London Olympics because they are deemed 'too British'.
Organisers of the event say that the Arrows military background might be 'offensive' to other countries taking part in the Games. The display team have performed at more than 4000 events worldwide, but the Department of Culture, Media and Sport have deemed the display team 'too militaristically British.' Red Arrows pilots were said to be 'outraged', as they had hoped to put on a truly world class display for the Games, something which had never been seen before. Being axed from a British-based event for being 'too British' is an insult - the Arrows are a symbol of Britain .

The Red Arrows have been excellent ambassadors for British overseas trade, as they display their British-built Hawk aircraft all over the world.
The Arrows performed a short fly-past in 2005 when the winning bid was announced, but their fly-past at the Games was to have been truly spectacular.

It is to be hoped that common sense prevails.

If you disagree with this decision, sign the petition on the link Petition to: Allow the Red Arrows to Fly at the 2012 Olympics.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
WTF is happening to this country. This would not have happened in France :angry:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Its the Labour party the destroyer of the United Kingdom in all its forms.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
If this shambolic Labour party had been in power in 1944 we would have been speaking German now.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Its the Labour party the destroyer of the United Kingdom in all its forms.

The bizarre thing about that statement, is that for the last 10 years they have been more Tory than the Tories.

Did you actually read the petition, Uncle C? This did the rounds on NSC probably about a year back.

This is a response in advance of the closing date from the Government

This allegation is not true. The Government has not banned the Red Arrows from the London 2012 Olympic Games.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
pathetic isnt it

pc brigade defend away...

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
And of course sending British Tornado Jets, special forces armed to the teeth and battalions of troops backed with tanks into Iraq isn't offensive to other countries ! :rolleyes:

Brother, what is this country coming to. Petition duly signed.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Sorry this is an old story which has been doing the rounds for a couple of years and it is not true. Just some internet scam. So relax, the Red Arrows can still do the Olmypics.

Killjoy :angry:

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Not only is this a complete lie, it's an old lie!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/15/red_arrows_rumpus/

It's just like when the tabloids publish nonsense about new proposed European regulations (which are often made up by pissed journos in Brussels, as they know their papers will fall over themselves to publish rubbish that supports their PoV).

Can I suggest that before the next time you go off on a "bloody PC nonsense", "bloody Brussels" or "this country's going to the dogs" rant you THINK FIRST. Or maybe check the facts.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Sorry this is an old story which has been doing the rounds for a couple of years and it is not true. Just some internet scam. So relax, the Red Arrows can still do the Olmypics.

What a shame. Sorry, I was away looking for my Land of Hope and Glory CD

Friday 26 October 2007The Red Arrows will (probably) fly at the 2012 Olympics, the Sun has announced.

The redtop has received a letter from Olympics Minister Tessa Jowell, stating: "I am very clear in my own mind that the Red Arrows should be part of London’s welcome to the world in 2012 and I know Seb Coe shares my view."

Jowell added: "I want to take this opportunity to set the record straight: the Red Arrows never were banned from 2012" - a reference to the shock announcement the flyboys would not grace the skies above London during the sportsfest for being "too British".

This shock and entirely bogus story quickly provoked an online petition in which outraged Brits demanded a government step-down. As of mid-October, it had attracted 165,000 signatures, although the public is evidently not aware that the RAF's finest were never off the Olympic menu, since the total has now risen to 207,000.

We should note that ministers have not finalised details for the 2012 opening ceremony, but Jowell and Coe are "determined the Red Arrows will play a role".

Too British MILITARY would be more pertinent a reason, but the committee would not say that was the reason anyway.
I think they'd be right (if the question arose), and that The Red Arrows would border on being crass for such an event (and especially if we are still at war - which is probable).

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
I expect the fly-by will conducted by three English pilots, one Welshman, one Scot, and one bod from Ulster, religious denomination of the latter to be determined by cutting a deck of cards...

(The ground crew all to hail from the Isle of Man, or the Channel Islands. This is to compensate for the fact that a fractional pilot cannot fly a modern high-performance aircraft.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here