Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Prestige - Film of the Weekend

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Before Inception, before The Dark Knight, Christopher Nolan made a criminally overlooked movie based on the award winnning Christopher Priest novel of the same name, The Prestige.

Set in turn of the century, mostly in England, this is the story of two competing magicians, each making their own sacrifice as a personal rivalry drives a feud that can only end one way...

In my opinion, this is one of the best films ever made, and provides Hugh Jackman's greatest performance, with very good performances from Christian Bale, Michael Caine, and David Bowie, and bearable appearances from the beautiful pixie-like Piper Perabo, and Scarlett Johanssen. It was also the film that introduced me to Rebecca Hall.

I should mention, one complaint, which I think is wrong, is that this film "suddenly" becomes Sci-fi. There are hints from early in the film that there is an unnatural element to this film, but because (I presume) of the victorian setting people over look the hints.

This masterpiece is on BBC 2 (and BBC HD) on Sunday evening at 10pm.

I would definitely recommend it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It is superb, like all Nolan films. Please don't forget Memento, that is a STUNNING film.

Memento
Batman Begins
The Prestige
The Dark Knight
Inception

All at least 9/10 films for me.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I should mention, one complaint, which I think is wrong, is that this film "suddenly" becomes Sci-fi. There are hints from early in the film that there is an unnatural element to this film, but because (I presume) of the victorian setting people over look the hints.

Not convinced it is "Sci Fi" at all. Nolan has been very cryptic about this, and when asked has talked about "smoke and mirrors" and "seeing what you want to see"...a fair bit of the film isn't really explained, and there are numerous theories online that don't involve any "Sci Fi" whatsoever.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It is superb, like all Nolan films. Please don't forget Memento, that is a STUNNING film.

Memento
Batman Begins
The Prestige
The Dark Knight
Inception

All at least 9/10 films for me.

He's certainly developing a hard to beat back catalogue there.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I like memento, but it does seem to get a bit of acknowledgement, moreso than the prestige, at least.

But I like all of nolan'swork, even his short Doodlebug:

[yt]-WhKt_CkXD0[/yt]

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
I echo what has already been said. Memento and The Prestige are my two favourite Christopher Nolan films ahead of the much more recognisable films of The Dark Knight, Inception and Batman Begins.

Yet to watch Insomnia or The Following though yet.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Not convinced it is "Sci Fi" at all. Nolan has been very cryptic about this, and when asked has talked about "smoke and mirrors" and "seeing what you want to see"...a fair bit of the film isn't really explained, and there are numerous theories online that don't involve any "Sci Fi" whatsoever.

I saw an interview with him where he talks about not wanting it to be a cop out, how he introduces things early so as not to cheat the audience. I think 'SciFi' evokes a certain image that isn't quite right for the film, but I think it is technically fictional science. I'll see if I can find the link later.

Also, to make it non-sci fi would be changing it too dramatically from the book (it already alters many aspects from the book, but I don't think that would be a change they make).

I have read many of the theories and none of them satisfy any of the questions they raise about things I can't really mention without spoiling the film.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
I did like Memento the first time I watched it, but when I got it on DVD I found it incredibly annoying for some reason. The Prestige though was a great film and will be watching on Sunday.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
LOVE The Prestige.

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

The first time I watched it I found the 'sci-fi' element quite troubling. But then I thought about it and my take is that this is the magic 'trick' of the film. Throughout you are explained how tricks are achieved through 'smoke and mirrors' and yet the finale shows that the greatest trick of all cannot be achieved through logic. I rather liked it!

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Prestige is absolutely superb.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here