Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Premier League

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
with brighton set to join the 'best league in the world' in the next few months, it is worth looking at the set-up of top flights.

villareal president fernando roig has recently said that the disparity between la liga's top two and the rest of the competition is killing the league. real and barcelona were both recently on the winning side of thrashing scorelines, not unlike our own manchester double act. villareal have to operate within a budget of €70m, against barca's of €430m.

what's been good about the money that has sloshed into the premier league is the talent it attracts. the league can confidently boast the greatest showmen on earth. for me, the trouble seems to be that they all play for the same teams. football is entertainment, but would it not be more entertaining to see torres and malouda play against these top players, rather than warm benches? the inequality has led to predictability, which dulls the entertainment. true, there are more teams now vying for the title than there have been in recent years, but that's only with the introduction of another recklessly spendthrift owner.

the premiers league has a more equal way of distributing tv money than spain, and for that they should be applauded. indeed, la liga has four clubs facing administration. but watching match of the day last night and the ease with which the manchester clubs despatched their opposition, coupled with the incredible talent that wasn't exhibited as much as it should have been, left me with the usual disaffection towards the prem.

i'd take the championship any day.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
with brighton set to join the 'best league in the world' in the next few months

Our South Coast compadres wold say that is arrogance in the extreme, and I have to agree. We look set to avoid relegation, apart from that, anything else can happen.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
with brighton set to join the 'best league in the world' in the next few months.

Let's take it one game at a time. Smugness and arrogance does nobody any favours. It's a great start, but there's a LONG way to go yet.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
It. Is. Only. September. 11th.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Our South Coast compadres wold say that is arrogance in the extreme, and I have to agree. We look set to avoid relegation, apart from that, anything else can happen.

This, very much THIS. There a very long way to go yet and I am far from convinced. Even Gus says he's not sure how good we are.

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
that first sentence was, as you say, with the tongue in the cheek.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here