Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The pitch at Withdean

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I've been reading comments on yesterday's game on Hobnobs (Reading forum) and read this. Is there any truth in it?

Withdean's pitch is illegally narrow (i.e. less than Football League minimum width, although not less than the width stated in the laws of the game), so no there won't be any like it at proper football grounds. The Football League told me that Brighton have special temporary dispensation.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It looks wide enough to me, ask the club.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I found this on the football ground guide
Pitch Size: 110 x 75 yards which is 100.58 x 68.58metres

Reading's pitch
Pitch Size: 102 x 70 metres

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
From the Football League website

Dimensions

The field of play must be rectangular. The length of the touch line must be greater than the length of the goal line.

Length: minimum 90 m (100 yds)
maximum 120 m (130 yds)
Width: minimum 45 m (50 yds)
maximum 90 m (100 yds)

I found this on the football ground guide
Pitch Size: 110 x 75 yards which is 100.58 x 68.58metres

Reading's pitch
Pitch Size: 102 x 70 metres
I'm glad you found that.

One of the more bizarre things I was once asked to do by the Falmer For All team was calculate how many petition forms it would take, laid end to end, to circle the pitch at Withdean.

I gave up.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I've been reading comments on yesterday's game on Hobnobs (Reading forum) and read this. Is there any truth in it?

Withdean's pitch is illegally narrow (i.e. less than Football League minimum width, although not less than the width stated in the laws of the game), so no there won't be any like it at proper football grounds. The Football League told me that Brighton have special temporary dispensation.

You see the problem, their plastic fans are more used to Subbuteo so they are confused !

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I have very politely put them straight by pointing out that there is less than 1.5 metres difference between their pitch and ours.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
im not just saying this....but i have ALWAYS said that withdean looks alot narrower than most pitches. almost sunday league width, its noticeable on throw ins where its SO CROWDED its untrue. i still maintain(as i did in 1999) that dk has a secret red button to one day expand the pitch to a good width if we ever get real wingers.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Perhaps we could bring the long-jump pits into play, a bit like bunkers in golf.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London

I do remember hearing something along these lines a while ago, although why the Football League feel they have to have different regulations to the official rules of the game I don't know.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
coppell used to instruct the ground staff to change the width of the pitch depending on who we were playing - FACT

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
coppell used to instruct the ground staff to change the width of the pitch depending on who we were playing - FACT

The same as nearly every manager in the country does.
You'll be saying they left the grass longer for certain games as well next.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
coppell used to instruct the ground staff to leave the grass longer for certain games as well - FACT

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Dimensions

The field of play must be rectangular. The length of the touch line must be greater than the length of the goal line.

]

are you sure????

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton

Dimensions

Length: minimum 90 m (100 yds)
maximum 120 m (130 yds)
maximum 90 m (100 yds)

So the length could be 91 m and the width 90 m

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
That is true, yes. With the 18yd box from each post, and 8yds for the goal, it's legal to have just 3 yards between the corner flag and the edge of the penalty area.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here