Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Opposition View....

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Grayson: Man Utd debacle won’t derail Leeds at Brighton Simon Grayson

Published on Thursday 22 September 2011 16:11

LEEDS boss Simon Grayson is confident their Carling Cup lesson at the hands of Manchester United will not have a negative effect when they travel to npower Championship high-fliers Brighton tomorrow.

The Whites were comprehensively beaten 3-0 by Barclays Premier League leaders United on Tuesday night despite Sir Alex Ferguson making 11 changes from the team that saw off Chelsea last weekend.

Hopes were high given Grayson had led Leeds to a famous 1-0 win over their bitter rivals in the FA Cup two seasons ago, but he does not expect a hangover at the Amex Stadium.

Grayson said: “My players have got time to recover and we’re flying down to Brighton as well so we’ll give ourselves a real chance to win the game - which I expect us to do. We’ll compete with them and we’ll try to get a result.

“Brighton is what we’re looking forward to and, as much as we’ll be disappointed about losing to Manchester United, I hope it won’t affect our confidence. I’m sure it won’t.”

It is a challenging schedule for both teams, with Leeds playing their third game in six days while Brighton face a very short turnaround after losing to Liverpool in the Carling Cup last night.

Grayson added: “It’s a big ask for us but I made the decision not to make many changes because we wanted to give Manchester United a game.

“We didn’t really manage to do that but I don’t have the luxury of making 10 or 11 changes like they did. At 3-0 down our focus had to be on tomorrow night, which is why I took three players off. They’ll probably all start at Brighton. It's tough, but there's no point moaning about it, we've just got to get on with it."

“But I hope my players learn from the experience of playing against Manchester United and playing against guys like (Michael) Owen, (Dimitar) Berbatov and (Ryan) Giggs.”

"Brighton aren't in the same stratosphere as Man Utd but they're a good little side who have spent a bit of money and try and play the game the right way. We know that when Leeds come to town they will raise their game and that is something we've got used to."

Grayson will have one more option available to him after Leeds signed Stoke utility man Danny Pugh this morning on loan with a view to a permanent deal in January.

Pugh knows the club well having made 57 appearances for Leeds between 2004 and 2006 before leaving for Preston and then Stoke.

Grayson told Home | Leeds United | LUFC, Scores, News, Tickets, Transfers, Fixtures | | “We’re delighted to bring Danny to the football club. He is a versatile player and is an experienced player who has played in both the Premier League and the Europa League with Stoke.”

Leeds will be looking for a third straight Championship victory after wins over Crystal Palace and Bristol City but third-placed Brighton have found their new home to their liking so far with two victories and one draw.

Manager Gus Poyet will be without Will Buckley, who picked up a hamstring injury in the 2-1 defeat by Liverpool, but Marcos Painter returns after a one-match ban while Will Hoskins and Gary Dicker could both be available.

Poyet, meanwhile, will talk to new boy Vicente Rodriguez, who made an impressive debut against Liverpool but may find two games in three days too much.

The 30-year-old winger, who boasts 38 caps for Spain, was the standout Championship signing of the summer when he joined the Seagulls on a free transfer from Valencia.

Poyet told Brighton and Hove Albion | BHAFC Scores, News, Transfers, Fixtures “I made a few changes for Liverpool with an eye on the Leeds game. The only difference is that Buckley will not be available because he suffered another hamstring problem again last night.”

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
he also missed out - 'with all due respect to them, but we should be beating teams like Brighton'

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
"Brighton aren't in the same stratosphere as Man Utd but they're a good little side who have spent a bit of money and try and play the game the right way. We know that when Leeds come to town they will raise their game and that is something we've got used to."

TWAT. Hardly a little side and they are the needing to raise their game to compete with us. The table doesn't lie. Out of the two teams Brighton are the more likely to reach the EPL first.

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
A good little team who try to play football the right way and will raise their game because big old LEEDS are in town.

Ha ha, patronising f***.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Comments removed due to OP coming up with a load of old fabricated shite. Muppet. :glare:

Last edited:

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
To me Leeds are just another championship club. The billy big bollocks stuff was maybe a little understandable in league one, but at this level, with their recent history i'd put them pretty much mid table reputation wise.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
"...they're a good little side..."

It's so comforting to know that the mighty Leeds have heard of us.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
'good little team' next he'll be saying its our cup final - twat

We know that when Leeds come to town they will raise their game and that is something we've got used to. :tosser:
:lolol: I read this and chuckled. Someone email the club with this - that needs to go on the dressing room wall.

I'm not sure what's funnier - the idea that we might very well absolutely batter them, or the fact that their manager really does believe anyone raises their game against Leeds, just another run-of-the-mill Championship outfit.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
he also missed out - 'with all due respect to them, but we should be beating teams like Brighton'

He will say that when they lose tonight.

That is for the post match excuse....along with refereeing decisions no doubt.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
*ahem* Pound to a penny that "Good little side" is one of Crodo's hilario jokes. A bit like the "big spender Brighton" ones he did last year ...and the year before.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The belief that Leeds fans think they will be a big club again is just hilarious - total bunch of cocks

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
*ahem* Pound to a penny that "Good little side" is one of Crodo's hilario jokes. A bit like the "big spender Brighton" ones he did last year ...and the year before.

Consider yourself 'wedged' Mr B. Oh what a funny guy that Crodo is... :rolleyes:

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005

Good shout!

This paragraph is all Crodo:

Hats off

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Another phrase to hang on the dressing room wall.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here