Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The opposition view.......

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Paul Tisdale urges his players to maintain their belief

By Barry Pittaway

EXETER City manager Paul Tisdale says he will not make wholesale changes for tonight's clash with npower League One leaders Brighton.

In the wake of Saturday's 4-2 home defeat to Brentford Tisdale hinted that the manner of the loss would present him with a chance to make a few alterations to his team.

But the Grecians boss says he does not think it is necessary to do too much tinkering with his team.

"We have got to believe in what we are trying to do and not get distracted by the last few games," Tisdale said.

"There are one or two bits and pieces that need looking at but generally I remain confident in the way we are playing and the players will be urged to continue in their beliefs as well.

"My prerogative with selection is maybe to make a change but for the moment there won't be wholesale changes just because of the last couple of games.

"I believe in the way we are playing and the way we are doing the job."

One change that will be forced upon Tisdale is in the forward line.

John O'Flynn suffered a groin muscle tear early in the match against Brentford and was replaced by Jamie Cureton.

The injury has not been fully assessed yet, but Tisdale expects the former Barnet striker to at least miss City's next three games.

That could force Daniel Nardiello back into the first team picture sooner than expected, as the summer signing from Blackpool returned to full training yesterday following a hamstring problem.

Tisdale said: "John won't be fit for the next three games but we could maybe pencil him in for the Notts County game (on November 13).

"Matt Taylor's making a very quick recovery which is good but he's not being considered for games yet. Other than that everyone is fit and should be available."

Tisdale will be glad of a strong squad to choose from as City face Gus Poyet's in-form Seagulls.

Saturday's resounding 3-0 win over play-off contenders Peterborough sent Brighton eight points clear at the top.

Tisdale said he was not surprised to see the south coast side leading the way at the moment, but was keen to stress there is still a long way to go in the 2010/11 campaign.

He said: "I'm surprised that other than Brighton there aren't any real contenders at the moment – all the teams behind them are very close in what is a tight league You look at their budget and it's about three or four times ours so it's not really an even playing field but we'll give it a go.

"But there is still a long way to go yet and I wouldn't be predicting anything for the end of the season at the moment.

"There is no reason why we cannot beat them. Brighton are playing some really good football and winning a lot of games. They have been very impressive for the last fortnight.

"The way we look at it is that they are going to be our toughest opponents yet this year. They will be very strong so we have to be ready defensively for the job and have to be ready to work hard as we always do."

The trip to Brighton is the first in a sequence of three consecutive away trips for the Grecians. Bury in the FA Cup and Plymouth Argyle in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy follow.

Tisdale said: "It is hard when you get three away in eight days. It will be tiring work with Brighton and Bury as those are both long trips but we have had a lot of away games due to the cup draws and we can't do anything about that. The players are mentally and plysically running on empty but I know whatever they've got left they will give me tonight and on Saturday."

Pittaways Prediction: The Grecians travel to moneybags Brighton and Hove Albion with everything set against them, however Paul Tisdale knows that his side have spirit in bucketloads and they will need it tonight, and it may nick them a surprise point.

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
Moneybags Brighton??? Methinks they are getting class mixed up with wealth.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You look at their budget and it's about three or four times ours so it's not really an even playing field but we'll give it a go.

Oh for FUCKS sake.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"You look at their budget and it's about three or four times ours so it's not really an even playing field but we'll give it a go".

Pittaways Prediction: The Grecians travel to moneybags Brighton and Hove Albion with everything set against them.

*sigh*

And so this perpetual myth continues. Every team we face now just set themselves up as the "plucky underdogs", as though they're playing Chelsea or something. I swear if we were mid-table, nobody would even mention money. But because we're top, its OBVIOUSLY because we've lavished fasands on the squad and bought our way there.

Tedious.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
it's a recurring theme... i'd like to know where 'our budget' is on display for public scrutiny?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Everyone seems to be thinking we are BY FAR the top spenders in the league. It simply isn't true. Not even near.

What really pisses me off is Gus won't get the credit he deserves if we win this league.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Whats the problem. Our wages must be about 3 or 4 times theirs.
Even Gus says we are in the top six for wages.
The top six in the league is not equivalent to 3 or 4 times. The wages might be good but not by that much.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Paul Tisdale urges his players to maintain their belief

By Barry Pittaway

EXETER City manager Paul Tisdale says he will not make wholesale changes for tonight's clash with npower League One leaders Brighton.

In the wake of Saturday's 4-2 home defeat to Brentford Tisdale hinted that the manner of the loss would present him with a chance to make a few alterations to his team.

But the Grecians boss says he does not think it is necessary to do too much tinkering with his team.

"We have got to believe in what we are trying to do and not get distracted by the last few games," Tisdale said.

"There are one or two bits and pieces that need looking at but generally I remain confident in the way we are playing and the players will be urged to continue in their beliefs as well.

"My prerogative with selection is maybe to make a change but for the moment there won't be wholesale changes just because of the last couple of games.

"I believe in the way we are playing and the way we are doing the job."

One change that will be forced upon Tisdale is in the forward line.

John O'Flynn suffered a groin muscle tear early in the match against Brentford and was replaced by Jamie Cureton.

The injury has not been fully assessed yet, but Tisdale expects the former Barnet striker to at least miss City's next three games.

That could force Daniel Nardiello back into the first team picture sooner than expected, as the summer signing from Blackpool returned to full training yesterday following a hamstring problem.

Tisdale said: "John won't be fit for the next three games but we could maybe pencil him in for the Notts County game (on November 13).

"Matt Taylor's making a very quick recovery which is good but he's not being considered for games yet. Other than that everyone is fit and should be available."

Tisdale will be glad of a strong squad to choose from as City face Gus Poyet's in-form Seagulls.

Saturday's resounding 3-0 win over play-off contenders Peterborough sent Brighton eight points clear at the top.

Tisdale said he was not surprised to see the south coast side leading the way at the moment, but was keen to stress there is still a long way to go in the 2010/11 campaign.

He said: "I'm surprised that other than Brighton there aren't any real contenders at the moment – all the teams behind them are very close in what is a tight league You look at their budget and it's about three or four times ours so it's not really an even playing field but we'll give it a go.

"But there is still a long way to go yet and I wouldn't be predicting anything for the end of the season at the moment.

"There is no reason why we cannot beat them. Brighton are playing some really good football and winning a lot of games. They have been very impressive for the last fortnight.

"The way we look at it is that they are going to be our toughest opponents yet this year. They will be very strong so we have to be ready defensively for the job and have to be ready to work hard as we always do."

The trip to Brighton is the first in a sequence of three consecutive away trips for the Grecians. Bury in the FA Cup and Plymouth Argyle in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy follow.

Tisdale said: "It is hard when you get three away in eight days. It will be tiring work with Brighton and Bury as those are both long trips but we have had a lot of away games due to the cup draws and we can't do anything about that. The players are mentally and plysically running on empty but I know whatever they've got left they will give me tonight and on Saturday."

Pittaways Prediction: The Grecians travel to moneybags Brighton and Hove Albion with everything set against them, however Paul Tisdale knows that his side have spirit in bucketloads and they will need it tonight, and it may nick them a surprise point.

Here we go again FFS!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I get you, but I still don't think it'll be fair on him.

"we'll give it a go" - that really sounds like a non-league side's comments v a prem team in an FA cup game.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
"You look at their budget and it's about three or four times ours so it's not really an even playing field but we'll give it a go".

Pittaways Prediction: The Grecians travel to moneybags Brighton and Hove Albion with everything set against them.

Nothing like throwing the towel in before you have even started. I hope we hammer them now.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
What really pisses me off is Gus won't get the credit he deserves if we win this league.

psst! That's good for us :thumbsup:

edit: damn you and your quick typing Easy

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Too obvious this time Crodo. :laugh:

Although I do enjoy reading through waiting to find the controversial tweak/addition!

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Madness.

Out of interest when we last won this league, how much did our squad cost? In real terms? Because money was NEVER mentioned then.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
And then gus tires of having his achievements ignored because he has money, he will want to go somewhere where he can show it wasn't tony bloom's pokets that got us success.

Either way there's a threat of him leaving - he get's recognised as a top quality manager, or decides to go where there's no (perceived) money to prove himself.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here