Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Opposition view......

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Robins fans' panel
Friday, January 23, 2009, 08:00Comment on this story

Q: What did you think of Cheltenham Town's FA Cup third round replay defeat at Doncaster Rovers on Tuesday night?
Martin Chandler: It was a strange game in which Cheltenham had little to no luck.
The first two goals seemed quite fortunate, although poor defending didn't help, and in the second half we just couldn't take our chances, although I thought Elvis Hammond and Jonny Hayes looked particularly lively.
Paul Chandler: I thought Doncaster were terrific, and while the first goal was a little lucky, no one can argue that they weren't good value for the win.
Cheltenham looked a lot better once they had made the switch to 4-4-2, but that may be because Rovers had eased off the gas.

How much better is the team now than it was when Martin Allen took over as manager in September?
Martin Chandler: The team is difficult to judge due to its unsettled nature because of injuries and suspensions.
The squad, however, is vastly improved and once the injuries clear up, I am confident we can still escape the drop.
Paul Chandler: It's much better. The team he inherited was almost guaranteed to finish bottom of the league, and probably by a massive margin. We now have a fighting chance of avoiding relegation.
A new broom was what was needed and a new broom is what we got. If the previous regime hadn't allowed things to go so stale, then he wouldn't have as much work to do.

Q: What team should Allen pick to face Brighton?
Martin Chandler: I would like to see Allen revert back to 4-4-2 given the moderate success we had in the second half at Doncaster.
I would play: S Brown; A Lindegaard, S Duff, C Westwood, A Wright; A Vincent, I Westlake, D Bird, L Ridley; E Hammond, L Owusu.
Paul Chandler: I would also change to a 4-4-2 formation, but I'd have David Bird on the right of midfield, Alex Russell in the middle, with Ian Westlake, Ashley Vincent on the left and Nicholas Bignall up front with Hammond.

Q: What are your predictions for the big game?

Martin Chandler: It certainly won't be one for the faint hearted that's for sure!
I always feel confident when we're being roared on by a passionate Whaddon Road crowd and I'm sure that will be the case tomorrow. The league table doesn't lie and Brighton are in fairly shocking form over the past few months and I fully expect us to take advantage with a resounding 3-0 win.
Paul Chandler: Games don't come much bigger than this, if we are serious about staying up this is a game we simply must win against a woefully out of form Brighton. I think we've got too much for them and will want it more, 2-0.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Owusu always seems to score against us in a kind of chris greenacre type of way

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
I am biting my fingernals at the prospect of noting other than a win tomorow

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here