Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

the open university

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
i'm looking into doing a course on the open university.
i think in my position its the best way for me to do a decent course and have the flexibility of being able to study in my own time and i can still earn a wage while doing it.

has anyone else studied or studying this way and how did you find it.

i've not decided which course yet though.
quite possibly humanities or a history course.

http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?A02

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I have done two courses so far:

Foudation Technology T102 - 60 points

Communication Technology TH204(?) - 60 points level 2

2.1 Level both of them so I am quite chuffed at that, trouble is its expensive if your company do not sponsor you aned you need lots of time!!!

TV Programs are great, CD's etc etc.

One issue may be your tutorials. Mine were all on Saturday afternoons...which clashed with footy

:down: :down: :down:

...and I concur with DKM ( although I never indulged in that sort of nonsence:down: )

Last edited:

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Dies Irae said:
I have done two courses so far:

Foudation Technology T102 - 60 points

Communication Technology TH204(?) - 60 points level 2

2.1 Level both of them so I am quite chuffed at that, trouble is its expensive if your company do not sponsor you aned you need lots of time!!!

TV Programs are great, CD's etc etc.

One issue may be your tutorials. Mine were all on Saturday afternoons...which clashed with footy

:down: :down: :down:

...and I concur with DKM ( although I never indulged in that sort of nonsence:down: )

i know some of the courses are quite pricey.
i will be paying myself but probably doing courses to the value of 60 points per year so hopefully won't be too much cash

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
they are round about £500 each.

then there is the summer schools if you require them.

I suppose its cheaper than going to Uni.

I have never thought of this before but can you get a student loan to cover the fees?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
isnt it great when you get someone on here that actually knows what he/she is talking about

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
thats not too bad though.
£500 per course, or £10 per week if you look at it like that.
either way, there's no rush to complete the course in 6 months or so, so the cost doesn't look so bad.

i wonder though if you wanted to have the cost paid for and did it full time, could you get the cost paid for as its an open uni course?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
over to our man at the bbc

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
I would rate an OU degree as superirior to one from any of the former polytechnics, particularly when it is achieved by someone who is also working. The people I have met who have done them have generally better skills in time management and independant thought than many from a more traditional background.

You will probably find that the library at Sussex will have all of the module booklets so you can go and have a look at the materials before you sign up. The ones I have seen in mathematics and physics are of very good quality and have a logical and well structured progression of ideas and concepts.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
moggy said:
thats not too bad though.
£500 per course, or £10 per week if you look at it like that.
either way, there's no rush to complete the course in 6 months or so, so the cost doesn't look so bad.

i wonder though if you wanted to have the cost paid for and did it full time, could you get the cost paid for as its an open uni course?

Dunno if you can do them full-time to be honest. OU courses are good though -- I know several people who've done them (including my mum who has a degree from there, and a former colleague who left school at 14 and decided to do a doctorate over about twelve years "for something to do").

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
chip said:
I would rate an OU degree as superior to one from any of the former polytechnics, particularly when it is achieved by someone who is also working. The people I have met who have done them have generally better skills in time management and independent thought than many from a more traditional background.

You will probably find that the library at Sussex will have all of the module booklets so you can go and have a look at the materials before you sign up. The ones I have seen in mathematics and physics are of very good quality and have a logical and well structured progression of ideas and concepts.

I studied part-time at Brighton for my MBA, I looked a the OU MBA but they didn't (at the time) require a dissertation, personally I can't understand the value of a masters degree without the dissertation, hence using Brighton. Also I prefer lectures to distance learning.

I have worked with people who were educated at poly's(me included) and those that went to a top Uni (Scumhampton, Imperial et al), and there wasn't to honest that much difference.

Currently 6th year going for a normal BSc (Hons) with all courses in Computing and Technology.

I would suggest doing courses about subjects you know a lot about (workwise) or are very interested in (hobbies, etc). It's no use doing courses where you could be out of your depth from the start even before putting your toes in the water.

Start with a level 1 course, as they show how to cope with OU practices and timekeeping.

HTH

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Their London headquarters is on Hawley Crescent, Camden. I used to work next door.

You can just pop in I understand and pick up whatever you want.

It is also directly opposite MTV, so you have the added incentive of bumping into Peter Andre or someone like that.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
I got a BA(Hons)(Lit) with the OU, which proves that I am not as thick as I look! 60 points a year is totally achievable along with full time work, I did more because I was targetting a quick conclusion to the degree (four years). You get lots of support (if you want it), the course materials are great, and the first time I mentioned it at an interview, the interviewer had also used the OU and I am sure it went a long way to getting me the job/course. It shows you can self-start, you are independent, you can prioritise, time-manage, etc.

The OU is becoming more popular with people who want to get a degree, live at home, and work at the same time without running up huge student loan debts.

The only drawback was taking my exams in Fratton Park bar. The smell of failure permeates the whole ground....or was that dogshit?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I did a course on th OU. f***ing great fun.

You can get course fees reduced depending on your income.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
looney said:
I did a course on th OU. f***ing great fun.

You can get course fees reduced depending on your income.

how did you manage to get reduced rates?
i mean, what is the maximum amount you can earn before you can apply for redused rates?

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
moggy said:
i'm looking into doing a course on the open university.
i think in my position its the best way for me to do a decent course and have the flexibility of being able to study in my own time and i can still earn a wage while doing it.

has anyone else studied or studying this way and how did you find it.

i've not decided which course yet though.
quite possibly humanities or a history course.

http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?A02

bit to late for all that now mate. Was probably ok to do a course when you were intelligent:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
i would rise to that comment but won't due to the fear of sexually exciting you :p

actually, i'm gonna work towards a degree and i'm in the middle of choosing a course at the moment.
quite possibly based in & around history but not definate yet

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here