Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The North Stand (Goldstone) "surges"

Oct 2, 2008
Was thinking about this the other day. Many of you will remember the "surges" in the North Stand ("Knees up Brighton Town" etc.). How on earth did we avoid serious injury ?. Or did we...anyone recall anyone getting hurt?.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I remember getting crushed against a crash barrier and hurt my ribs, funny how you remember things, as it was against Carlisle in the League Cup I think

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I once headbutted one of the barrier things in a celebration by beding down to leap into the air onto a mate and jumped head first into it. Semi concussed trying to celebrate a goal whilst being leapt on was pretty painful.

I think it was James Virgo scored in the auto windscreens shield or summat in golden goal extra time vs Fulham.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Wonderful surges. of course, if you want to stay safe then stand infront or a barrier.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Wonderful surges. of course, if you want to stay safe then stand infront or a barrier.

Always made a point of that! Though I also headbutted one of them - on the way out after the game, trying to duck underneath. They were SOLID!

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire

Didn't the stewards hand out white feathers for this type of behaviour? Wasn't the plan to stand somewhere you didn't want to watch from and see how close you could get to that perfect position by close of play ? And it was excellent for pickpocketing except nobody had anything worth taking.

Ah! Those heady days.The whiff of anticipation and perspiration.They will never come again.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Was thinking about this the other day. Many of you will remember the "surges" in the North Stand ("Knees up Brighton Town" etc.). How on earth did we avoid serious injury ?. Or did we...anyone recall anyone getting hurt?.

People didn't get injured because it was perfectly safe. It's sad that the health and safety nazis are slowly brainwashing us all to wonder how we didn't get injured doing things they've told us aren't safe, when the reality is that the figures speak for themselves. I bet there were harldy any injuries from surges at football if you look at it as a percentage of attendance.

The only one I know of is my older brothers mate doing his leg in after deano's free kick against ipswich

Feb 14, 2010
Surges were great all a part of football, as a teenager theywere fantastic tho im too old for it now. But be honest nobody died or got hurt, it happened every week, until Hillsborough and then baby and bathwater springs to mind and frankly bollocks spouted afterwards. The same bollocks that we are not allowed to question or the scouse press will cry. Now its blokes in yellow jackets telling kids to sit down or somehow the seat will jump up and hurt them, pathetic

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
It's dying out, isn't it?

My lad (aged 13) just doesn't get why terraces are great. Why would you want to stand up if you can sit down?

I've tried explaining that it's not the standing up as such, it's the jostling, the atmosphere ...

Anyway, he has agreed to come to Peterborough this season to experience what maybe his first and last proper terrace experience.

Not sure what this will achieve, except hopefully not thinking I'm an idiot for being nostalgic for terraces.

Guerrero

Jul 17, 2010
Near Alicante.Spain
Anything that is fun is gradually being taxed to the hilt,banned or made so safe that it isn't fun anymore.
I'm amazed that anybody in the UK is allowed to get out of bed in the morning without putting on a condom,a crash helmet and full body armour while being watched on CCTV.:tantrum:

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
You could also try Yeovil or Exeter.In fact these games are so close together they could be a New Year treat.Except I always find the Yeovil "experience" a bit anti climactic,and Exeter is more like a patio than a terrace.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
We'd normally start off just to the right of the goal and end up somewhere further down and in the middle. Remember always checking who was standing around you pre-kick off, especially when we were up against a side whose fans liked to infiltrate.
Only injury I recall was the infamous Spurs game (3-1 to us) when my brother got caught in some trouble and ended up with several broken ribs after being crushed against a fence. For some reason I was in the East Stand that day. Great game, great result, not so great on the terraces.:facepalm:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Peterborough away

Bring it on

This :) tempted to chain meself to the railings afterwards!

As someone above said, they weren't that dangerous. Not as dangerous as noshing at a metal gig and they haven't banned that, have they?

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
aged 14 - arsenal 2-1 home defeat - 10 minutes to kick off - crushed against a barrier - coudlnt breath - had to move down the terrace a bit .

Muhammad - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
i lost a shoe once in a surge, had to watch the last 30 minutes without it.
waited til after the game so i could find it..but some rotten fucker had stolen it :down:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here