Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The New Meadow

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
250px-STFC_-_New_Meadow_%28Aerial%29.jpg

The stadium currently has a capacity of 9,875 seated spectators, with on-site supporters' bars, including plasma-screen TVs, showing re-runs of recent Shrewsbury matches, as well as live streaming football updates. In addition, there are several corporate and hospitality suites. The stadium can expand to a capacity of up to 40,000 through future development if necessary.

:ohmy: Shiver me timbers!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
40,000? As unrealistic statements go, that's on a par with the Doncaster Rovers fan suggesting Lewis Dunk has shattered their promotion ambitions for the season.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
As far as i remember, the population of Shrewsbury is only around 60000. Telford can't be much different and Shropshire is a rural County. There's nothing like hope, but what on earth?!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Presumably you can expand upwards to three tiers all round but what's the betting that the current footings wouldn't support it :lol:

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Fill in the corners first, Wiki says that gets it up to ~13k. Then the roof probably pops off (I believe St. Marys is built like too) and then add a second tier one stand at a time. That'd probably get you up to maybe 26-27k, assuming the new tier covers the corners too. Don't know how you'd fit the rest in though.

That's all guess work though.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
One of my biggest regrets in supporting the Albion is the fact that I am just too young to really have gone to grounds like Gay Meadow and Layer Road and instead have to go to the shitty new versions that those clubs play in nowadays.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
It's only a matter of time, personally I think 40 000's a bit on the small side.

One of my biggest regrets in supporting the Albion is the fact that I am just too young to really have gone to grounds like Gay Meadow and Layer Road and instead have to go to the shitty new versions that those clubs play in nowadays.

Oooh get you. Bloody Brighton fans, slag off clubs who go into admin for living beyond their means and slag off clubs who live within their means for having shitty stadiums. You wouldn't have a ground at all if some random rich bloke hadn't bailed you out, and then all you do is moan about the pies.

:D

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
It's only a matter of time, personally I think 40 000's a bit on the small side.

Oooh get you. Bloody Brighton fans, slag off clubs who go into admin for living beyond their means and slag off clubs who live within their means for having shitty stadiums. You wouldn't have a ground at all if some random rich bloke hadn't bailed you out, and then all you do is moan about the pies.

I don't really know what you're talking about. I'm not having a go at the clubs, I'm merely expressing regret that they play in boring identikit stadiums now rather than what looked like unique old grounds with some character.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Yeah bloody fans from other club's who don't do their research before posting - he's hardly a random rich bloke :facepalm:

Getting 5,229 for a top of the table clash suggests expansion won't be needed quite yet

Last edited:

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven

I get your comment but I don't understand why you attached it to somebodys opinion on lifeless new grounds.

We are very proud of the Amex & don't like it when people criticise it.The Amex isn't full every week because it's an amazing stadium it's full because the club has been to hell & back over the last 20 years and has a good fan base.
Of course having a good team helps.What people don't know is that the Amex would still have happened without tony bloom but
we would have incurred a lot of debt in doing so.What tb has done is ensured that we enter our new stadium with no debt so we can now spend what we earn rather than spent the first few years at the Amex trying to pay off debt.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Actually I attached it to somebody's opinion on "shitty" new grounds. I don't think our ground is "shitty", or indeed lifeless. Like you, we don't like it when people criticise it.

My comment was meant to be slightly tongue in cheek, but you lot do sometimes get a bit precious about this sort of thing, you have to admit? See the Ipswich banner saga. I do understand why- my dad's a Brighton fan and I've followed your saga quite closely. I wrote to my MP for you and everything. You need to get less touchy now you're an ordinary football club again perhaps.

I'm not at all sure that you would have got the Amex without Tony Bloom- do you really think so? I think you may have ended up with a slightly larger version of the New Meadow.

I don't think anybody has ever suggested that there are any plans to extend the New Meadow to 40 000. That would be patently absurd. I don't know where the quote in the original post is from, but to try and make out that we have delusions of grandeur on that scale is wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here