Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The new Albion DVD - 08-09 pt 2

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Watched it tonight, and actually really enjoyed it. Some observations.

1. Our defending was f***ing HORRIFYING. I mean seriously, seriously appalling. Quite apart from Hinsh's comedy OG against Colchester on Boxing day, there are so many HOWLERS where Elphick, Kuipers, Whing et-al are just stood there looking at each other, palms up in complete bewilderment. The Carlisle goals (0-2 at Withers) are a particular nadir and a textbook example of how NOT to defend - ballwatching doesn't even come close.

2. Just how INJURED did murray look for that 2nd Leeds goal. The fella could barely move, let alone chase back. How the f*** Adams and Stewart arrived at the conclusion that he could play a part that afternoon just shows how bloody amateurish we were last season. DISASTROUS decision that ruled our top striker out for the run-in.

3. Tony Bloom. I think I fell in love with him a little bit. There's a shy, understated manner to him, as though he never really wanted all this publicity focussed on him, but of course it ended up being unavoidable once he was forced to reveal exactly what it was he had in his trousers. Despite his multi-millions, he came across as a throroughly likable, decent, down-to-earth bloke who is stumping up this montrous amount of cash simply because of his love of the club, and because it HAD to be done. We are unbelievably fortunate to have him bankrolling this club, and I'm completely confident we are in safe hands with this fella.

4. The Dick Knight montage at the end. Wonderful. I was almost moved to tears in my admiration for this man, from the post-match interview at Edgar Street to his final fairwell as he handed it all over to TB. The word "legend" is banded about so cheaply these days, but in the case of Dick Knight, its so richly describes his part in the tapestry of this great club and in his case, is entirely appropriate.

Top stuff. If you've not watched it yet, you're in for a TREAT.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Agree. A very well put together DVD. The idea of having a Gary Hart interview over the top of the games in the run in was a good one - nice way of mixing things up a bit, although perhaps could have had a bit longer and included some crowd noise!

Also always pisses me off that they never show shots of the crowd. After a goal it's brilliant when you can see the fans cheering (eg. Bristol Rovers away) but you barely get it on the DVD at all.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Gary Hart was often quite jokey about Malcolm Stewart and the medical staff, but I really think it underlined how two-bob we were under that stewardship. Sending him up to London for half a dozen painful injections in the week, after he'd done his hamstring at Huddersfield the week before that crucial final game against Stockport, was just madness. It was OBVIOUS he'd never last, and the point was proven after he was subbed midway through the first half. Thats not hindsight, as plenty on here were questioning it before the game. Perhaps Hart talked Stewart and Russell into it, but come on.

I expect better from the medical side of things this season, cos last year was frankly a shambles.

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
I notice the DVD isn't for sale in the club shop.....yet. If so, I'd probably purchase it (as long as it's DVD region free). I was at the Boxing Day game and the silence was deafening as the ball rolled towards the goal, probably because most people couldn't believe it was going to happen.

Last edited:

Here's Johnny!

All work and no play.....
Nov 27, 2008
Worthing
4. The Dick Knight montage at the end. Wonderful. I was almost moved to tears in my admiration for this man, from the post-match interview at Edgar Street to his final fairwell as he handed it all over to TB. The word "legend" is banded about so cheaply these days, but in the case of Dick Knight, its so richly describes his part in the tapestry of this great club and in his case, is entirely appropriate.

Watched it last nite and agree with all you say especially the above. A nice reminder of a wonderful (and eventful) 12 years under Dick Knight which 3 promotions and 2 relegations are only a part of. Thank you for everything Dick!

Have to say our defending was terrible last season and I came away from the season thinking that we'll be fine if we replace players like El-Abd/Hawkins. After watching the DVD's though I do think that although certain players aren't good enough to be in the team there are other players (Elphick/Kuipers/Whing) who show they have ability but need to perform better to keep the shirt. Hopefully players signed by Slade will provide competition for places and his coaching can bring the best out these talents.

Not sure if it's because our defence was so "stand offish" but we did concede some corkers of goals last year aswell (see Crewe at home and Orient away for examples).

Things can only (and will!) get better :albion2: IN SLADE I TRUST!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I too thought it was an excellent dvd and will bear repeat viewing, if only because I know we stayed up in the end. In addition to the woeful defending we did also find our selves on the end of some real screamers too, I'd blanked out the Crewe goals but they were all stunners, that damn Orient goal and one of the Swindon efforts was special. It was an absolute miracle that we stayed up.

I enjoyed all the interviews, none of them being cringeworthy at all, although McNulty getting dragged around the park by his dalmation was fairly comical.

All in all a nice little appetiser for the start of the season. Bring on Walsall!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
haven't watched it yet( i also didn't watch the last one)

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Where do you get this DVD from? It's not available from the online club shop.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here