Votes: 35 81.4%
  • I can't believe I'm being asked this question

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
If he's fit by the time England play Estonia, and assuming Owen starts, would you drop Heskey for Rooney

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
If Owen is playing - Heskey.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Heskey. By all means have Rooney on the bench, but Owen & Heskey have linked up very well and it would be scandalous to change it.

Would someone care to remind me when Rooney last had a decent run of form in an England shirt?

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
What, Rooney a world class player v Heskey a useless tosser

tough call, but I'll go for Heskey

Only Joking

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

McLaren deserves the sack if Rooney plays. Yes Rooney is one of the greatest players in the world but he's just like Waddle and Hoddle... you can't build an England team around him. Rooney's preffered posiştion is just behind the attacker and that means we have to make a choice between goals from Owen (and therefore he needs a big man up front) or flair from Rooney. And if you play Rooney behind two forwads then you leave a massive hole in midfield... unless we go to three centre abcks and we know what happens whenever England play that way.

Rooney is England's biggest headache and as far as I'ma concerned it is more important to have a firing team playing to our strengths than one of the best players in the world being accomodated.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
It pains me to say it but we should stick with Heskey, As much as Rooney is a talented kid you've got to stick with a winning formula.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I've never rated rooney much in an england shirt for a while....so i'll go for heskey

Me neither. Rooney would be a good sub to come on at the moment (provided he doesn't get so fired up that he gets sent off). Same goes for Lampard.

Kenneth Wattle

Aug 31, 2007
Rooney can never be described as a world class player- he has not done anything of note in an England shirt for years and has never been a 30 goal a season player. He is not in the same class as Thierry Henry, Didier Drogba, etc.

I hate Heskey. But it works... so Heskey for me i'm afraid to say!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
When did Rooney last score an international goal for England? If he had been a prolific goal scorer, then it's an option to consider, but no, it's Heskey all the way for me.

And if McClaren does pick Rooney or Fat Frankie for the Estonia game, he wants his head examining.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Rooney is less than impressive at the moment - Heskey all the way....

and yes - as Alan Hansen or whoever it was said last night - its an odd question to be asking!

I'm pleased that even though it was through injury McLaren finally picked a decent side....I felt sorry for Barry he didn't get man of the match (again as the post match commentary team aslo said).

Kenneth Wattle

Aug 31, 2007
If the game was next week he may well consider keeping the same team. Problem is with the next qualifier so long away, all the hype and memories of great performances by Barry, Richards, Heskey, etc will be forgotten and fat frank, shrek and Beckham USA will be back in the side no doubt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here