Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The message isn't getting through

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I've just spoken to our IT consultant who comes from Brighton. The conversation started 'cos he asked me which stadium was depicted on my screen wallpaper (which is Falmer, of course). He said that he'd read in the paper that Falmer had been turned down and won't now happen.

This really brought home to me that the non-football supporting folk - even in Brighton - are not understanding where we are with this at the moment.

At least one more knows the score, now!

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
The ignorance is appalling. If I have one more "So why d'you sell your old ground then?" comment I'll explode.

How I long for the day when we can put all this behind us and just play football in our own ground.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I would have thought this was to be expected. The papers never made any attempt to explain what happened (Hoile Report) and most people would not have read more than the first paragraph any way.

e.g Did you know Telscombe Cliffs was not in the proposed National Park? (I actually do not know if this is true or not) but people who are vaguely interested or not interested in the facts, or because of unclear reporting by the Evening Argus and misleading information and an irrational decision by the South Downs Counservation Board/Countryside Commission. (Telscombe Cliffs are are a far superior are of the downs to a muddy patch in Falmer by a long chalk.)

So it people have only a passing interest in football a they are unlikely to know the full details. Like I do not know what is happening at Telscombe? (That's probably because I don't read the Argus though.)

From what I gather is that there are a whole load of greivances with a mixture of authorities (quite often against Brighton Council) and that ..... it would just take a spark to light a protest.

West Pier, Varndean School, Falmer, Telscombe, Housing plan at Saltdean: anyone could erupt into a major row just before the Labour Party Conference in Brighton?

:yawn:

Last edited:

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
whats the issue with Varndean school ?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Varndean:

I think it was privatised, and the Council had to spend out £4.4 million to buy on the contract because of shoddy workmanship by a firm called Jarvis (do you travel by train? as they mend the tracks) This has not appeared in the newspapers.

Quote:

From the Varndean School website:

NEWS Feb 6th: The much heralded summit meeting called by the Council with Jarvis took place at King's House. Jarvis' Chief Executive Andrew Sutton had resigned the day before the meeting and so was replaced at short notice by Rob Johnson. At long last the Council made it clear to Jarvis that their performance across the schools in the contract was deplorable. The meeting was chaired by the Director of CFS, David Hawker, and covered the 'helpdesk', contract monitoring, construction and facilities management issues. The usual bland assurances were received from the Jarvis employees present about improvement. Varndean's view is that this will never happen unless they are seriously prepared to commit resources to discharging their responsibilities. While it is nice that the Council has finally woken up to the fact that we've been paying for services we've not been receiving, it does unanswered questions about why it's taken so long. Unfortunately, both parties to the contract (Jarvis and the Council) were singularly unforthcoming on sorting out shoddy construction, missing equipment and the shambolic state of much of our grounds

A Google search brings up plenty of stuff so suggest you carry on from there for more detailed information.

on the following web page:

http://forums.thisisbrightonandhove.co.uk/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1090

Yep the ignorance of many non football folk regarding the Falmer situation is frustrating. All this week at work, people have been asking me "what are Brighton going to do now, now that the new stadium has been turned down". I'm starting to suffer a form of verbal r.s.i. after explaining the situation so many times! :shootself

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Perhaps this is where the Argus is failing to report the facts?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Yorkie said:
Perhaps this is where the Argus is failing to report the facts?

The Argus isn't failing to report facts-it's merely doing what newspapers do:rolleyes:

;)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here