Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Marathon

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Wow. Never seen crowds like this before and doesn't it show our capital off well.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I went last Sunday to watch the women's marathon. Great event but it was raining. Far more there today. Marvellous Scenes!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Looks and sounds amazing. I wish I was there. I'm not sure the current leader can keep this pace though.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Looks and sounds amazing. I wish I was there. I'm not sure the current leader can keep this pace though.

Might be getting carried away with the crowds cheering HT. Plenty behind him ready to pounce.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Wow. Never seen crowds like this before and doesn't it show our capital off well.

Doesn't poll after poll give London as the greatest city in the world ?

I can see why - I bloody love it! Oozes history from every pore.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Trouble is they changed the route for the olympics. Generally the london marathon runs round alot of uninspiring boring areas kind of like round shoreham alot. Other marathons show off their cities really well.

They should keep this route but they wont.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Trouble is they changed the route for the olympics. Generally the london marathon runs round alot of uninspiring boring areas kind of like round shoreham alot. Other marathons show off their cities really well.

Yeah, I bet you'll absolutely HATE having to run around Blackheath and Docklands next April :p

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Yeah, I bet you'll absolutely HATE having to run around Blackheath and Docklands next April :p

Lol. But my mate who has ran FIFTY marathons worldwide incl Paris, Madrid, Athens, Boston, New York, Chicago etc (and yes even Brighton and Blackpool) says that london is one of the most boring sights wise for those exact reasoms.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Lol. But my mate who has ran FIFTY marathons worldwide incl Paris, Madrid, Athens, Boston, New York, Chicago etc (and yes even Brighton and Blackpool) says that london is one of the most boring sights wise for those exact reasoms.

I'd still do it though. Got my name in the ballot for London 2013, but have a guaranteed place for Brighton in the likely event that I don't get a London place. Brighton was great when I did it, so I won't be gutted if I have to do that one. I think you only have about a one in eight chance of being successful in the London ballot.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That was a great race and a great individual run from the Ugandan chap.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

It's more a case of they cannot use this course for a mass participation marathon as it's too tight, twisty and narrow. Berlin did a similar thing during the world championships a few years ago; they used a tight compact 4 lap course for the tournament as opposed to the usual single lap marathon route.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I'd still do it though. Got my name in the ballot for London 2013, but have a guaranteed place for Brighton in the likely event that I don't get a London place. Brighton was great when I did it, so I won't be gutted if I have to do that one. I think you only have about a one in eight chance of being successful in the London ballot.

And why not as its the biggest in the uk so it would make sense!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
It's more a case of they cannot use this course for a mass participation marathon as it's too tight, twisty and narrow. Berlin did a similar thing during the world championships a few years ago; they used a tight compact 4 lap course for the tournament as opposed to the usual single lap marathon route.

No that thought had crossed my mind but for example oxford street etc is wide enough yet they wont run down there. Other cities would allow it.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
No that thought had crossed my mind but for example oxford street etc is wide enough yet they wont run down there. Other cities would allow it.

And also that the Olympics is a global TV event that occurs only once every four years, whereas the London Marathon is as much an annual charity fun run with a bunch of elite athletes chucked in. The Olympics has the budget and the infrastructure (security, justification for road closures etc) to be able to pull off a more visually enticing course, whereas the Virgin effort can't get away with that. Londoners wouldn't be so sympathetic to the city's major arteries being closed off for an entire day.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
And also that the Olympics is a global TV event that occurs only once every four years, whereas the London Marathon is as much an annual charity fun run with a bunch of elite athletes chucked in. The Olympics has the budget and the infrastructure (security, justification for road closures etc) to be able to pull off a more visually enticing course, whereas the Virgin effort can't get away with that. Londoners wouldn't be so sympathetic to the city's major arteries being closed off for an entire day.

The point is other cities do and are.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Londoners wouldn't be so sympathetic to the city's major arteries being closed off for an entire day.

I reckon residential Londoners would be fine but the shop owners wouldn't. I'm sure, like any time Brighton shuts its roads for something, they will bleat and cry that business will be hit because car users cannot drive to their front door and spend money.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside I'm feeling rather sad this is pretty much over now. It has been an astonishing 3 weeks and I've literally been moved to tears at times. I have never witnessed such talent, endeavour, sacrifice, guts and above all sheer determination and dedication from a group of British athletes in my life time and it was incredible to see.

That said ill be watching the Paralympics.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here