Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The main reason we've been struggling in the past few games?

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Apart from just not turning up. I think the main reason we've struggled is teams have grasped that they have to pressurize us. This causes mistakes and the only way to counteract that is to move the ball about faster into the gaps which are created by the opposing team pressurizing us. We have been moving the ball too slowly which means when we try and switch play there is not enough space. Just my theory though.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Against the better teams we need to counter attack more. The passing game is good but it allows the other teams to reform at the back and in midfield which we seem to have trouble breaking down. Barnes is also playing too deep and not giving CMS support.

dgh123

Aug 7, 2011
Gus needs a plan B as his current tactics are just being picked apart and are to predictable. I loved the way he played last year but we have gone up a league, now we need to up are game to fit the league...

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Against the better teams we need to counter attack more. The passing game is good but it allows the other teams to reform at the back and in midfield which we seem to have trouble breaking down. Barnes is also playing too deep and not giving CMS support.

This is my point. If we win the ball in a good position we need to play it forward instead of backwards, meaning that their players can get back into position and we can't break them down.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
QUOTE=reesoid;4426534]Could be something to do with Casper Ankergren wasting half the game.[/QUOTE]

Any chance to have a pop at Ankergren, he only sits on the ball when we are winning and the opponents are chasing the game.

I'll tell ya why....cos you've had an easy ride right up until you met us.
You got carried away with your good early season start. You thought it would be a cake walk in this league but now you've had your eyes opened by your bigger, better rivals.
Welcome to The Champ....we've got fun and games.

<mod:homophobic drivel removed>

Last edited by a moderator:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
No one on the wing (4-4-2)

We have only won once since we signed Vicente and not at all since we drew Liverpool in the Cup.

I think the reason why we are faltering is that we played the weaker clubs a the start. We might have the rub of the green (against Pompey, but not against Sunderland), but we have been unlucky with injuries.

I think some of our tactics are a little questionable, but also the ability of the players to understand them. They can just play their natural game and not adapt.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The problems lie in the left and right back area and until we address these issues we will continue to concede cheap goals - Vicente and Barnes quite rightly had a go at Calderon after the 3rd goal for backing off.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
We need to press the ball and stop people letting run at us - shocking how much time we are giving people on the ball

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Welcome back. I am a bit curious why you seem more interested in this forum rather than your own one? Good constructive comment. Well done.

You got carried away with your good early season start. You thought it would be a cake walk in this league but now you've had your eyes opened by your bigger, better rivals.
Not for you though.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Afraid to say it but a number of our players have been found out. Either too slow (MP and GD), one dimensional (CMS, CN and KLL), too many mistakes (CA), relies on others to do their job (GG). Only Bridcutt and Dunk have performed well in (nearly) every match.

Bottom line is that the teams we play week in week out have ex Premier League players with that extra bit of class and experience.

9 goals conceded in 3 games and our confidence is shot to pieces.

Blue Min Hek

Oct 1, 2011
QUOTE=reesoid;4426534]Could be something to do with Casper Ankergren wasting half the game.

Any chance to have a pop at Ankergren, he only sits on the ball when we are winning and the opponents are chasing the game.[/QUOTE]

Eh, he was doing it in the 30th minute when it was 0-0?!

I think at the moment we are a good mid table team. If you look at Ipswich's team they were full of Premiership or near Premiership quality players. How many of our players are in this league.

Main issue I can see is a lack of pace in midfield and at left back where Painter is struggling. Calderon is also possibly being found out defensively.

Biggest problem though is our amazing start has fuelled some people's expectations to a level that is probably beyond reality. I'm sure we'll pick up, but I think scraping in the play offs is the is the best we can hope for - which would be a bloody brilliant achievement.

peejay1958

Aug 22, 2011
Southwick

Why don't you crawl back under the stone you've just come from.....

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
We need to press the ball and stop people letting run at us - shocking how much time we are giving people on the ball

Agreed. I suppose defense is the main issue but I also think lots of our forward moves are largely ineffective due to the pace as I say.

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
Welcome to The Champ

I think the reason why we are faltering is that we played the weaker clubs a the start. We might have the rub of the green (against Pompey, but not against Sunderland), but we have been unlucky with injuries.

The problems lie in the left and right back area and until we address these issues we will continue to concede cheap goals - Vicente and Barnes quite rightly had a go at Calderon after the 3rd goal for backing off.

Afraid to say it but a number of our players have been found out. Either too slow (MP and GD), one dimensional (CMS, CN and KLL), too many mistakes (CA), relies on others to do their job (GG). Only Bridcutt and Dunk have performed well in (nearly) every match.

Bottom line is that the teams we play week in week out have ex Premier League players with that extra bit of class and experience.

9 goals conceded in 3 games and our confidence is shot to pieces.

I think at the moment we are a good mid table team. If you look at Ipswich's team they were full of Premiership or near Premiership quality players. How many of our players are in this league.

Main issue I can see is a lack of pace in midfield and at left back where Painter is struggling. Calderon is also possibly being found out defensively.

Biggest problem though is our amazing start has fuelled some people's expectations to a level that is probably beyond reality. I'm sure we'll pick up, but I think scraping in the play offs is the is the best we can hope for - which would be a bloody brilliant achievement.

Sadly, all the above are relevant. It just begs the question that if we can all see it, why has Gus and Tanno been prepared to start the season with this group. Particularly when a fair few were actually brought to the club at the start of the season on good wages?

It has to be a worry that with a large squad already, Gus needs NEW players already. It is not like we have got to Christmas and injuiries and suspensions have taken their toll. What happens then?

SirElliotBennett

May 5, 2010
West Stand Lower

Were Donny and Posh part of this easy start? Only you've lost to these sides?
What about Cardiff and Blackpool. Is this also part of our easy start?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here