Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The main advantage of Leroy R.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
I heard yesterday that Stuart Gray was DK's top of the list, however, if the Leroy story is true (and it is looking like it), I can see one major advantage of getting him. He is up and coming, etc, might be a very good manager, hungry and willing.

But BEST OF ALL from DK's point of view (and ours) is if he is successful,he will not get instantly poached. Look at the track record.

Micky Adams, Promoted Brentford and Fulham, failed at Swansea. We took him on, got us promoted (3 promotions make people take note)

Peter Taylor, England, England U21's, Gillingham promoted. Got us promoted. CV better after Leicester, so better placed to get a job.

Steve Coppell, again done well before, career needed some profile, Brighton fits bill. Now at 'The BIG Club' :angry:

Look at Ronnie Moore, Paul Hart and Murdoch at Franchise. Less proven, but have probably achieved more than SC and PT did at Brighton, yet not linked with jobs because they have yet to prove it.

We NEED someone who can spare 3-4 years to achieve something, and maybe LR fits that bill....

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We need an appointment very quickly - simple as that.

The players need a comfort zone of a manager, lets go for Leroy he seems good and has a great platform to make it happen.

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
Leroy has one obvious disadvantage.................plain to see.

Inexperience.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Whats to stop a bigger club comming in for him say next year if LR is here and doing well .. say a coventry type club if Gary Mac is doing badly.. offer him more money etc .. Dont get me wrong he might be good but all the time we are in our present state we will always be vulnerable to poaching from a bigger club .Fact of life at the moment until we get Falmer or a decent stadium !!

Citrus

Seagulls over Toronto
Jul 11, 2003
Toronto
Hopefully, we will have permission for Falmer within 3 months of the new manager being appointed.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

We have a habit of producing (Adams) or highlighting the careers of (Coppout, Taylor) some good young managers. Staffsgull thread is great - it just shows that we are a club where up and coming managers want to work. I realise that we are a stepping stone for these kind of managers but I would rather have a great manager for 1 year then Hinshelwood for 2.

ChutneyStirrer

Sep 14, 2003
ditchy said:
Whats to stop a bigger club comming in for him say next year if LR is here and doing well .. say a coventry type club if Gary Mac is doing badly.. offer him more money etc .. Dont get me wrong he might be good but all the time we are in our present state we will always be vulnerable to poaching from a bigger club .Fact of life at the moment until we get Falmer or a decent stadium !!

The point Staffs is making is that a Coventry type club would go for a 'name' of some sort, not a manager still in his first season in charge of a club.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Inexperience. If everyone said that then in a few years there would be no mamagers left.

All managers are inexperienced at some point. doesn't mean they can't do a job.

It's not like Dowie is the most experienced manager in the world.

Josky

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
It's reidiculous we are trying to look for loyalty in any manager as no one knows what the situation is going to be like down the line.

What does DK say to prospective candidates?

DK: Are you loyal?
LR: Erm... yes
DK: Will you stay with us when you take us up?
LR: Erm... yes... do I get the job?

Managers are professionals and despite us loving the club as much as we do, they are never going to be as loyal as we want them to. They can leave when they want, just as we can sack them when we want (subject to contractual payments, etc)

All this speculating about what someone may and may not do is ridiculous. How is Steve Cotterill any less loyal than say Brian Horton?

GNF on Tour said:
Leroy has one obvious disadvantage.................plain to see.

Inexperience.

And how will he get experience? Everyone keeps on about a proven manager with experience of promotions and Division 1 and contacts. Like Steve Cotterill, Bryan Robson, Glenn Hoddle? But nobody wants these. So where are these super-managers? Managing better teams probably. Ian Dowie seems to be NSC's favourite but how much experience has he got? As I understand it, he got to the playoffs once.

Basically, my point is that there are very few super-managers around who are out of work. We were lucky that no-one else snapped up Adams or Coppell who had both been a success at their last jobs and left due to other circumstances. There's no-one like that now. We need a promising young coach who will show a bit of loyalty. It might not work out but whose to say that Tigana would be a success? We have no divine right to win this league or automatically get the manager we want. There are 92 teams in the league trying to get the best managers and players and we are no different from the rest of them. We are 2nd in the league with some experienced players and need no real changes to the team other than the odd loan signing.

If we get Dowie or Rosenior then I will be happy. And if they don't work out then I will be happy that Knight took a chance on a promising young manager and it didn't work. He's learnt from Hinshelwood and he's learnt from Watford that big names don't mean success.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
IF we get him, I think it will be a good move. We had Mickey now bring on Leroy.......!!!!!!!!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Stop worrying about clubs pinching our managers. Would you prefer to have a shit manager that doesn't get poached as we just sit in division 2 with an ordinary team. Or have a successful manager that gets you promoted and is mentioned and linked with other clubs. I know what I would rather.

albiongirl

Jul 10, 2003
mileoak
Listening to the radio this afternoon sounds he is the main contender and Bob has ruled himself out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here