Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Luton result - did that SHUT YOU UP ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Westlake after Luton:

"It takes a strong team to come out and perform like we did. We needed that and we've shut a few people up."

Hmmm...not sure is that remark was called for, Mr Westlake. The two meek defeats prior to Saturday drew some justified criticism as it effectively ended our season. Saturday WAS a decent result against the team rock-bottom of the table, but if anything, its even MORE a case now of "what could have been" if the team had actually bothered turning up against Port Vale. If you've "shut a few people up" its only because we've been left with nothing to cheer for.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I was commenting how SHIT Westlake was before he scored since he came back to us. No it didnt shut me up.

It wasnt just Port Vale at home to be fair, I mean Cheltenham away where we blew it and Wallsall at home where we should have won 85-1 also spring to mind as games where we blew it.

We look on the Vale Game because its close to the end of season.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Westlake after Luton:

"It takes a strong team to come out and perform like we did. We needed that and we've shut a few people up."

Hmmm...not sure is that remark was called for, Mr Westlake. The two meek defeats prior to Saturday drew some justified criticism as it effectively ended our season. Saturday WAS a decent result against the team rock-bottom of the table, but if anything, its even MORE a case now of "what could have been" if the team had actually bothered turning up against Port Vale. If you've "shut a few people up" its only because we've been left with nothing to cheer for.

Bingo! :clap:

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
it was their goal that woke everyone up, including the team

Until that point the players was strolling around like a pre season friendly, after that goal, the fans started singing and the players stepped up a couple of gears

the only people it shut up were the moaners and whingers, so it should be a good a thing, as its a rare away victory

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
What a twat. How has beating Luton altered the fact that the key games against Port Vale and Southend were lost, thus ending any realistic hope of getting in the play-offs? It was the equivalent of England winning the last Ashes Test when they were 4-0 down - almost irrelevant.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
It didn't shut me up because I hadn't been slaughtering them in the first place. I wish players would remember that there are a large number of people who simply turn up at away games, have a pint, sing, and go home afterwards, without laying into the players every time they lose a game. His comments are read by everybody, not just those who dared express disappointment with the team.

Even if I had needed 'shutting up', that performance would not have done it. As Mendoza said, it was like a friendly - the first half could have been placed in a dictionary under the word 'drab', and even when the goals went in, neither set of fans went nuts. It was like the last game of the season between two clubs half way up the table, waiting for summer.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
In the absence of further information you have to assume that Westlake is referring to the Andy Naylor / Ian Hart / NSCs of this world.

Great. Thanks for that.

Message back to Westlake - Well done on beating Luton, enjoy your 2 1/2 month holiday which, before Saturday, looked like it had already started.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
I was commenting how SHIT Westlake was before he scored since he came back to us. No it didnt shut me up.

It wasnt just Port Vale at home to be fair, I mean Cheltenham away where we blew it and Wallsall at home where we should have won 85-1 also spring to mind as games where we blew it.

We look on the Vale Game because its close to the end of season.
every club in the country could pick through there season like that about were they lost points they shouldn't have

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Many a time, in the past, I have looked at our season, having just failed in some capacity and remarked abouta mid week game we lost in early September as being crucial had we won that game we would have achieved our aim, but people forget September because there is still a lot of the season left.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's times like this you wish you had Cullip and Oatway in that dressing room...

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Many a time, in the past, I have looked at our season, having just failed in some capacity and remarked abouta mid week game we lost in early September as being crucial had we won that game we would have achieved our aim, but people forget September because there is still a lot of the season left.

Are you mocking an age old LI quote?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
every club in the country could pick through there season like that about were they lost points they shouldn't have

Just trying to point out that its results over a course of the season which means we failed to make the play offs not because of one game...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Have to agree with TMLS on that score.

The Chelters away and Walsall home games do stick out as dropped points, but you can't have it both ways.

IF we deserved 3 at Chelters, then by the same token we should have lost the home game against them.

We 'threw away' points with late goals in those games, but how many times did we score late goals to change games? Southend, Bournemouth, Cheltenham at home, Oldham away....

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Didn't shut me up but I wasn't moaning in the first place. Thought we had done very well this season just to be in with a sniff of a play-off spot, and let's face it, no one thought that was realistic at the start of the season.

The players overperformed in some games and underperformed in others, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Much rather see some local lads given a chance than the side be a rag tag collection of millionaire mercenaries with no connection to the community that watches them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here